SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton Conversation

UND-FB-FAN

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/college/big-south/coastal-carolina-university/article30466269.html

Is this artice good enough for you?  Coastal Carolina will expand their stadium beyond 20,000 if they get a Sun Belt bid, which they most certainly would accept.  Coastal has a pittance in endowment.

They can build a 30k stadium for all I care. They only avg about 9k for each game which comes in at about 6k light of the 15k minimum ncaa requirement. You going to guarantee they make those numbers as well?:D

Edited by bison73

They can build a 30k stadium for all I care. They only avg about 9k for each game which comes in at about 6k light of the 15k minimum ncaa requirement.

not to believe this will happen, but I think schools like Idaho have proven that 15, 000 attendance average rule is a joke.  

They can build a 30k stadium for all I care. They only avg about 9k for each game which comes in at about 6k light of the 15k minimum ncaa requirement. You going to guarantee they make those numbers as well?:D

not to believe this will happen, but I think schools like Idaho have proven that 15, 000 attendance average rule is a joke.  

2013 MAC Football Attendance Averages

Buffalo22,736
Ohio20.672
Northern Illinois20,669
Toledo18,467
Akron17,850
Western Michigan17,347
Kent State17,018
Miami15,935
Massachusetts15,830
Ball State13,817
Central Michigan13,224

Eastern Michigan

School2014 averageChange from 2013National rank (of 128)
Ohio20,515-1%96th
Buffalo20,403-10%98th
Toledo19548+6%103rd
Central Michigan16,306+23%110th
UMass16,088+2%112th
Miami (Ohio)15,906-1%113th
Western Michigan15,625-10%115th
Bowling Green15,228-1%116th
Eastern Michigan15,025+271%118th
Northern Illinois13,563-34%121st
Kent State13,544-20%122nd
Ball State9,389-38%127th
Akron9,170-49%128th

That 15,000 average per game seems to be a real problem for the MAC, doesn't it.

The NCAA accepts booster clubs or foundations buying tickets at 1/3 of the price when qualifying for FBS.  You've been told that umpteen times, but it's just doesn't sink in your noggin.

Once your FBS, the NCAA doesn't seem to care.  EMU only met the 15k threshold because their foundaton bought a ton of tickets.

Coastal sold out most of its games.  An upper limit on attendance for them hasn't been established yet.  They even get home and home or two for ones with ACC or AAC schools, which will be totally different than Liberty.

The NCAA accepts booster clubs or foundations buying tickets at 1/3 of the price when qualifying for FBS.  You've been told that umpteen times, but it's just doesn't sink in your noggin.

Once your FBS, the NCAA doesn't seem to care.  EMU only met the 15k threshold because their foundaton bought a ton of tickets.

Coastal sold out most of its games.  An upper limit on attendance for them hasn't been established yet.  They even get home and home or two for ones with ACC or AAC schools, which will be totally different than Liberty.

No I have never heard that(please provide a link) so save your angst for the nickname committee.  Regardless of that I could give a rats butt what CCU does. Is there a reason I should?   Question is why do you?   

Edited by bison73

I think its actually a rolling 2-3 year number.

A lot of teams break that rule from basically the whole Mac conference to Idaho to other lower level G5 teams. I think even UND could get to 15k in 2 out of the 3 years requirement if they played a "home" game at a bigger stadium (TCF) or have a corporation buyout the remaining tickets (Eastern Michigan Rule). There is ways around this rule that has very little impact on schools as the NCAA does a crappy job of enforcing it. Win and you put butts in the seats.

No I have never heard that(please provide a link) so save your angst for the nickname committee.  Regardless of that I could give a rats butt what CCU does. Is there a reason I should?   Question is why do you?   

Not that hard to find:

http://www.emich.edu/univcomm/releases_archived/103006divisionone.html

Per the NCAA DI manual (disclaimer: my copy may be a year or two out of date):

- FBS must average 15000 in "actual attendance" (gate or tickets sold) once every rolling two year cycle (the "two year" thing is to allow for teams that have a big arch-rival home game every other year)

- for a ticket to count as "sold" it must be sold for no less than 1/3 the highest priced regular game ticket

Edited by The Sicatoka

Per the NCAA DI manual (disclaimer: my copy may be a year or two out of date):

- FBS must average 15000 in "actual attendance" (gate or tickets sold) once every rolling two year cycle (the "two year" thing is to allow for teams that have a big arch-rival home game every other year)

- for a ticket to count as "sold" it must be sold for no less than 1/3 the highest priced regular game ticket

Thank you. But lets be honest. It really makes no difference because the only thing CCU has going for it is location. They and themselves really arent good candidates according to some other articles Ive read. With no real strong candidate they might not pick anyone.

You motivated me. I pulled down the 2015-16 NCAA DI manual (effective 8/1/15). :) 

Here are specifics:

20.9.9.3 Football-Attendance Requirements. [FBS] Once every two years on a rolling basis, the institution shall average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football games. (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/04, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05)

The rest of 20.9.9.3 goes on to talk about "counting attendance". Specifically, in 20.9.9.3.1.2 there's this:

For purposes of computing paid attendance figures, tickets must be sold for at least one-third of the highest regular established ticket price as established prior to the season, regardless of whether they are used for admission. Tickets sold at less than one-third of the highest regular established price may be counted as paid attendance only if they are used for admission.

For UND to average 15000 this season: I saw $35 tickets for a couple games as the highest listed price. For simplicity I'll say 1/3 is $12 (round up). With five home games, a 15k average is 75k total tickets sold. 75000 * $12 is $900,000. <-- That's if some organization bought them all. 

That's the model Eastern Michigan has used to make the 15k average. 

For UND to average 15000 this season: I saw $35 tickets for a couple games as the highest listed price. For simplicity I'll say 1/3 is $12 (round up). With five home games, a 15k average is 75k total tickets sold. 75000 * $12 is $900,000. <-- That's if some organization bought them all. 

That's the model Eastern Michigan has used to make the 15k average. 

Or have a "home" game at TCF Bank Stadium (52,525 capacity) and that would help that 15k average.  Highest attendance average at the Alerus is 10,167 in 2008 for 5 games (no NDSU) so 39,165 would have been made up to reach 15k. 24,165 X 12 bucks is $469,980  or 39,165 attendance at TCF between UND and (name your oppenent).  

You motivated me. I pulled down the 2015-16 NCAA DI manual (effective 8/1/15). :) 

Here are specifics:

The rest of 20.9.9.3 goes on to talk about "counting attendance". Specifically, in 20.9.9.3.1.2 there's this:

Teams that failed the two year attendance 15k rule:

Idaho  14,744 (2013) 12,886 (2014)

Teams that must hit 15k in 2015 or fail the 2 year rule:

Akron: 9,170

Ball St 9,389

FIU 11,966

Florida Atlantic 14,122

Idaho 12,866 (already failed)

Kent State 13,544

New Mexico St 12,269

Northern Illinois 13,563

But if you're using money that would go to the program already, you're just adding a step. 

If I'm understanding it correctly in the context of a plan to move up to FBS, that "step" amounts to little more than a general ledger adjustment from one line item to another.

If I'm understanding it correctly in the context of a plan to move up to FBS, that "step" amounts to little more than a general ledger adjustment from one line item to another.

In simplest context, yes.

I suspect in practice the money flows through an "extra" T-account that spurs the generation and transfer of actual tickets. 

Before: Donation -> athletics revenues

After: Donation -> tickets -> athletics revenues

• 3 weeks later...

Fullerton reiterates that Big Sky schools should be competing against G5 conferences.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2886549-155/kragthorpe-big-sky-enjoys-college-football

He says five current members have inquired about moving up in the past.

Montana, Montana St, Cal Poly, UCDavis, and Sac St are my guesses.

Edited by SiouxVolley

https://carolinasportsthoughts.wordpress.com/2015/08/31/coastal-carolina-to-sun-belt/

Coastal will announce an invitation to the Belt tomorrow at 1 PM.

It bothers the hell out of you and other bizons because it shows schools with less than 15k seats now can move up to FBS.  A school doesn't need a history of winning or big crowds to get into FBS.  UND is more capable than Coastal is what it really comes down to.  Much of the Big Sky is heading for FBS too.

Edited by SiouxVolley
  • Upvote 1