SiouxSports.com Forum

Matt Cooke signed by Wild

MafiaMan

Welcome to the board, Governor Dayton. So a guy who will put almost $150,000 into the state coffers isn't paying nearly his 'fair share,' is he? After all, the top 1 percent of taxpayers in Minnesota only pay 24% of the total income tax collected in the state and the top 5% only pay 41% of the total income tax collected. Since I'm not in either category, that certainly doesn't seem fair that the remaining 95% of the population has to pay 59% of the total income tax collected, right?

Maybe when the top 5% is paying 99% of the income tax in Minnesota, everyone will be happy. Only problem is, that 5% will be living across the border in Hudson, WI...

But let's not get bogged down in political banter...Matt Cooke is still a TERRIBLE signing for Minnesota.

I think you are on to something...with all points above.

He didn't take any cheap shots on defenseless players in the playoffs. If you're referring to the McQuaid hit, McQuaid himself is to blame for that incident. He saw #24 coming and then turned his back to Cooke in order to create what happened. To his credit, he was successful in drawing the penalty, but that is not only a classless move but also a very dangerous one. The picture below clearly shows that McQuaid is guilty as charged. Why turn your back to the guy who is about to hit you? That goes against all ethics in the game of hockey. Anybody who still thinks that Cooke was the bad guy in that incident after viewing this photo is either stupid, stubborn, or a combination of both.

BLt8UegCIAAkZ2Q.png

Dude, did you not say that you weren't going to post, and then you're posting. You sound like these Bison fans defending their criminals from the football team. Cooke is far from being a victim.

He didn't take any cheap shots on defenseless players in the playoffs. If you're referring to the McQuaid hit, McQuaid himself is to blame for that incident. He saw #24 coming and then turned his back to Cooke in order to create what happened. To his credit, he was successful in drawing the penalty, but that is not only a classless move but also a very dangerous one. The picture below clearly shows that McQuaid is guilty as charged. Why turn your back to the guy who is about to hit you? That goes against all ethics in the game of hockey. Anybody who still thinks that Cooke was the bad guy in that incident after viewing this photo is either stupid, stubborn, or a combination of both.

BLt8UegCIAAkZ2Q.png

I disagree with your assessment of this hit...Cooke just can't help himself when he gets a chance to light someone up...glad the Bruins wiped the ice with the Pens in four games...I'm sure it cut down on their injuries heading into the Cup Finals.

I find it interesting that you have such disdain for fighters in the league (Boogard) but embrace the chirpy, slash and run little biotch that is Matt Crooke...how about we let Marc Savard cast the deciding vote?

• Upvote 1

Did I say I'm not going to post, or did I say I'm not going to post REGULARLY? I guess reading comprehension is not one of your stronger areas, eh?

Really Koski, you seem to lack a basic knowledge of hockey as well. Anyone who defends Cookes’ bushleague and thuggish tactics as context of the game, but says that fighting is worse than his dirty hits, is delusional.

There's a difference between trying to injure people with cheap shots and duking it out in a fair fight. Cooke repeatedly goes for people's knees and he always seems to have his elbows up. When it happens so often it's not a fluke play anymore, it's a problem. In a fight both players know whats happening and are ready for whatever happens, going after players' knees and trying to headhunt players who aren't looking is inexcusable. Now at least I understand why you cheer for the gophers, you have an affinity for cheap players who refuse to fight. Did you ever like anything about UND hockey other than the Fighting Sioux name?

• Upvote 3

The problem with what you just stated there is that nobody is TRYING to injure people with what you call cheap shots. What they are TRYING to do is break up the play, ride a guy off the puck, deny a scoring chance, you know... something within the context of hockey that actually affects the outcome of the game. I will concede that often times they do so without regard for potential injury, but if you honestly think that Matt Cooke or any other player thinks to himself "what I really hope to accomplish here is to have this guy removed from the ice on a stretcher" prior to delivering a hit you have simply bought into the hysteria spewed by that senile old fool Don Cherry and his legion of mindless followers like Goon who spews his biased and unobjective propaganda over and over ad nauseum to anybody who will give him the attention that he craves. Nobody in hockey is TRYING to hurt anybody with the exception of the guys who make a fist and try to drive it through the back of another player's skull.

I'll say it again, when a player takes out as many knees and hits as many people in the head as Cooke has, then it's not a fluke or coincidence anymore. He is a dirty player.

To give you a brutally honest answer your question, did I ever like anything about UND hockey other than the Fighting Sioux nickname... I liked the colors and the (many different variations of) the Fighting Sioux logo as well as most of the individual players over the years but I have to admit that I never cared much for Jim Archibald or Mike Commodore as I don't respect their approach to the game. I dislike the goon tactics in hockey and I do not make exceptions based on if a player plays for a team that I root for.

"Goons" = Bad. Dirty players = Acceptable. Ok.

And while I don't have an affinity for cheap players who refuse to fight, I do have an affinity for hard hitting players who refuse to fight. Bloodthirsty zealots who crave graituitous violence will often time refer to the refusal to fight as "turtling", but what it really means when you refuse to fight is that you are taking the high road and that you are a better person than to lower yourself to such disgusting behavior.

You like dirty players who take a cheap shot and then hide behind the ref. Ok.

What you perceive to be a "dirty" player is what I perceive to be a "gritty" player. Fair enough?

Gritty players make solid checks and work hard along the boards. Dirty players take out knees and throw elbows.

Does anyone find it funny that two of Dave Koski’s favorite hockey players are have been ranked by their fellow players as two of hockey’s all-time dirtiest players in the NHL. They’re also two of the biggest turtles of all-time. Meaning, they skated up and down the ice taking liberties and cheap shots on their fellow opponents and when they were called out, they turtled.

That’s a historical fact. But, I am delusional. I have history to back me up.

But let’s review the archives Ulf Samuelsson who’s famous for his dirty hit Cam Neely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd8cDxL_5IE

Of course Ulfie Samuelsson would get what he had coming to him when he was sucker punched by Tie Domi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EOpw7dnofQ

Matt Cooke is pretty much documented, he’s been a thug since he’s been in the league, except for the last two season. Even the GM of the Senators thought that Cooke sliced his prized defenseman Erik Karlsson on purpose.

. Nobody in hockey is TRYING to hurt anybody with the exception of the guys who make a fist and try to drive it through the back of another player's skull.

How anyone can say what you said with a straight face and then watch this video and not say that he’s not trying to hurt anybody. Can we have what you’re inhaling? Delusional and delusions of grandeur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0waePHWjVGY

Matt Cooke makes solid checks and works hard along the boards. You make think he's a dirty player, but that is only your opinion. As much as you wish it was a fact, it is not. Sorry, but you have zero chance to win this debate. You would have been better off had you simply agreed that we have different perceptions as to what makes a player a dirty player. With that having been said, I will now drop out of this particular exchange. One can only point out the fact that the sky is blue so many times, if the other individual refuses to accept the truth then that is just the way it's going to have to be. Some of you people seriously need to see hockey from a worldwide perspective rather than this tunnel vision goon tactics North American style bastardized version of the game. One does not have to actually be European to recognize that the European approach to the game of hockey is by far the best one.

Matt Cooke makes dirty checks and takes cheap shots on players. You may think he's a gritty player, but that is only your opinion. As much as you wish it was a fact, it is not. Sorry, but you have zero chance to win this debate. You would have been better off had you simply never tried to argue. With that having been said, I'm glad you are going to drop out of this particular exchange. One can only point out the fact that the sky is blue so many times, if the other individual refuses to accept the truth then that is just the way it's going to have to be. You seriously need to see hockey from a worldwide perspective rather than this tunnel vision dirty tactics Gopher style bastardized version of the game. One does not have to actually be a Sioux fan to recognize that the hard-work approach to the game of hockey is by far the best one.

Hate the Bison with a passion. The whole world does not disagree with me, only those who prefer the North American style goon tactics brand of hockey. FYI, there are a lot of people in the world outside of this message board. In Europe my opinion would not be in the minority.

I think you're Lakes Buffoon alter ego in disguise.

A. Sorry to have to correct you an an incorrect assumption but my last name is not Koski. Not that my last name has anything to do with the topic being discussed, but I thought you might want to know you are incorrect.

B. You used to word "turtling", which tells us everything we need to know about what kind of person you are. It isn't turting, it's called taking the high road and being a better more civilized individual.

C. Yes, you are delusional. Same goes for everybody else who subscribes to Don Cherry's propaganda, condones goon tactics, and badmouths gritty player who hit hard but not with their gloves off and not while the puck is not in play.

Pounding someone head with an elbow is not gritty play genius.

The feeling is mutual. That is exactly how I feel about posts by you, Goon, UNDBIZ, or anybody else who condones fighting in hockey while at the same time crusading against Matt Cooke and other similar type players. You people come off as borderline insane as far as I'm concerned.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

Sorry, Blackheart, but the still shot clearly shows McQuaid looking back directly at Cooke just prior to the hit. Why did he turn his back to him? I'll concede that Cooke should have held up, but to turn your back on a player that is about to lay a check on you is a bush league move. Nobody can possibly defend what McQuaid did on that play.

I find it interesting that so many people can have such disdain for Cooke and other similar type players while at the same time embracing the goon type players.

So you are not disputing the fact that Crooke is a slash and run little b-I-c-h... :) I still disagree with your assessment of the McQuaid hit but we can agree to disagree on that.

Dave that still photo proves nothing. How do you know Macquaid was looking at Cooke? Hockey is a very fast paced game and things happen very fast. Mistakes happen for this reason. But when you have the same mistake take place over and over(viscous hits to the head, knee shots, slough foots, etc......you have a problem. This is why Cooke is not popular. He's come out a number of times saying that he is changing his style of play and has failed to follow through and do so.

Cooke has also been in at least 22 fights in his NHL career. Why are you defending this gutless puke?