SiouxSports.com Forum

Go Sam Houston State

YAWNSON

Sorry bud. But The NCAA trophy that they give out says "Division 1 Football National Champion" on it. You can deny it all you want but it is legit. You do realize how dumb you sound right?

I sound dumb? Do you actually believe that it's a legitimate D-I championship if there is a college football level higher than the winner of the "D-I Championship" trophy? C'mon. You are being incredibly naive. NDSU may win that trophy, but they won't be the top college football team in the nation.

When UND won their 7 national championships, they were crowned the top college hockey team in the country. True D-I champions.

I sound dumb? Do you actually believe that it's a legitimate D-I championship if there is a college football level higher than the winner of the "D-I Championship" trophy? C'mon. You are being incredibly naive. NDSU may win that trophy, but they won't be the top college football team in the nation.

When UND won their 7 national championships, they were crowned the top college hockey team in the country. True D-I champions.

What point are you trying to make that anyone is disagreeing with you about? It has been conceded that if NDSU wins this game, they won't be considered to be the best team in the country. That doesn't make the championship "not a true D-I championship".

• Upvote 1

FCS is a sub-division of Division I football. The holder of that sub-division championship can claim to be a Division I champion; however, there will still be many, many better college teams.

That's the difference between Division I football and Division I hockey: Hold the hockey title and there's no other DI sub-division. You're it. There is no other DI team better.

• Upvote 1

What point are you trying to make that anyone is disagreeing with you about? It has been conceded that if NDSU wins this game, they won't be considered to be the best team in the country. That doesn't make the championship "not a true D-I championship".

How about a trophy that says: D-I National Champions*

* except for those many FBS teams that are also D-I but a heck of a lot better than us.

:lol:

• Upvote 1

Every school in the FCS is DI...it is a DI championship. Yes, there are better teams but they chose to play for an illegitimate title.

Oh yeah. Without including ALL D-I schools in the playoffs, I would have to say that NDSU is playing for an illegitimate title.

If it bothers you that much, may I suggest that you petition your AD to make the move up to FBS.

Hey, when UND wins their FCS championship, I'm not going to run around and claim that they won a legitimate, no doubt about it D-I football championship. I'll be happy. But, it is what it is!

Just because you keep saying that doesn't make it true. You can say it isn't the highest level of competition, but you can't say it isn't a true D-I championship.

That's like saying your Division I hockey championships count for nothing because there is still the NHL that is a higher level.

And wait the NBA championship is meaningless due to it not involving teams from all over the world. Olympics are meaningless because they only involve our planet, there has to better basketball teams in another solar sytem somewhere in the universe. :)

We could do this all day. I haven't heard any NDSU fan claim that if we are fortunate enough to win the game on Jan. 7th that we will be the best college football team in the country.

I don't disagree with your base premise, but, seriously, strawman much?

Oh yeah. Without including ALL D-I schools in the playoffs, I would have to say that NDSU is playing for an illegitimate title.

Well nothing but money/power is stopping them from playing for a legit title. Hey but if they want to play for the crystal ball of corruption more power to them.

Or better yet, maybe the Toledo Mudhens can have a trophy that says:

World Champions *

*with the exception of all those MLB teams better than us.

Do you have a problem with Dickinson Trinity or Kindred or Lisbon claiming a state football championship?

Why North Dakota State will win FCS title

There's no disputing these last two teams standing deserve to be in the championship game and have reached it with comparable seasons. Each beat a Bowl Subdivision opponent back in September, possesses a run-first offense with an efficient quarterback and wins the turnover battle.

But only one team has the best defense in the FCS.

North Dakota State.

The next FCS champion.

Read more:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/12/17/in-fcs-huddle-why-north-dakota-state-will-win-fcs-title/#ixzz1h77529Yx

I guess I didn't know that there were NDSU fans that were claiming to be the best Division I football team in the country.

The championship is what it is, a Division I football championship. Nobody is claiming to be anything other than the best Division I FCS football team when they win the FCS championship.

It isn't anything more than that, but it certainly isn't anything less than that. Don't try to downplay the accomplishment by saying it isn't any better than an old DII championship.

You obviously missed the NDSU/Alabama thread over on your home turf... :silly:

Do you have a problem with Dickinson Trinity or Kindred or Lisbon claiming a state football championship?

No, but it would be problematic to say my beloved Titans play in the top tier of all NDHSAA football. That's all. Facts is facts. Sioux play D1 hockey at the very top of collegiate hockey. UND and NDSU do not in football. Nothing wrong with it. Just the way it is. Like it or lump it.

Yes it is.

A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position, twisting his words or by means of [false] assumptions.

I didn't misrepresent his position or twist his words to mean something other than they were. I simply pointed out that his argument was "like" saying all of those other things.

No, but it would be problematic to say my beloved Titans play in the top tier of all NDHSAA football. That's all. Facts is facts. Sioux play D1 hockey at the very top of collegiate hockey. UND and NDSU do not in football. Nothing wrong with it. Just the way it is. Like it or lump it.

Again I come back to: Who is claiming that if NDSU wins on January 7th that they will be the best college football team in the country?

A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position, twisting his words or by means of [false] assumptions.

I didn't misrepresent his position or twist his words to mean something other than they were. I simply pointed out that his argument was "like" saying all of those other things.

I know what a strawman is, and you totally misrepresented the arguers position with your hyperbolic scenarios. You know it. I know it. He/she knows it.

I know what a strawman is, and you totally misrepresented the arguers position with your hyperbolic scenarios. You know it. I know it. He/she knows it.

We can do this all day. I didn't ask him to defend the hyperbolic scenarios and switch the argument over to that which would have made it a strawman. If I would have made the argument about those hyperbolic statements it would have at that point become a strawman.

Again I come back to: Who is claiming that if NDSU wins on January 7th that they will be the best college football team in the country?

I think the problem is that you are arguing with multiple people about different things. You may have never said it, but it has been alluded to that if NDSU winning a FCS national championship is not legit than UND's hockey national championships are not legit because of all the predominately D II and D III schools that compete in hockey at the "highest level." I say both arguments are hog wash. They are both impressive and legit championships. But only one can say they are better than all others in all of college. Just a fact. No dig on anyone.

I think this argument derives from NDSU fans screaming that the Bison are more well known than the Sioux due to their unbeatable football program (Youngstown St didn't beat NDSU, NDSU just played bad and lost). What most NDSU fans won't admit is that on a national scale, nobody cares about FCS football. Now, before you even bring it up, outside the large hockey markets (ND, MN, WI, MI, and the Northeast), few people really care about hockey either.

We can do this all day. I didn't ask him to defend the hyperbolic scenarios and switch the argument over to that which would have made it a strawman. If I would have made the argument about those hyperbolic statements it would have at that point become a strawman.

Agree to disagree then.

• Upvote 1