SiouxSports.com Forum

The Ralph at 10

The Sicatoka

The Ralph is 10 years old.

Here* is a "thank you" from Betty Engelstad. I think the "thank yous" should still be going her way. Thanks Mrs. E. :)

*Betty's letter to the Herald ... with a mysterious closing line: "I also look forward to what the future may bring."

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/217485/

I read the letter and thought the same thing about the ending. It could be a bit of foreshadowing fo a future donation or it could just be a generic "wish the arena continues to do well" type of ending. Either way, a big thanks to what they've done for the University thus far!

I read the letter and thought the same thing about the ending. It could be a bit of foreshadowing fo a future donation or it could just be a generic "wish the arena continues to do well" type of ending. Either way, a big thanks to what they've done for the University thus far!

I agree, the ending was way to vague to pull meaning out of. But the Englestads are very generous people who love UND so there's no telling. I'm very grateful for all the awesome memories of watching games at the Ralph with all my friends, so a BIG THANK YOU to Ralph and Betty for all they have done and continue to do. But let's play the speculation game for the fun of it. I think she's referring to either a new basketball arena or football stadium. What say you?

I agree, the ending was way to vague to pull meaning out of. But the Englestads are very generous people who love UND so there's no telling. I'm very grateful for all the awesome memories of watching games at the Ralph with all my friends, so a BIG THANK YOU to Ralph and Betty for all they have done and continue to do. But let's play the speculation game for the fun of it. I think she's referring to either a new basketball arena or football stadium. What say you?

Didn't they already build a brand new basketball arena - The Betty - that opened in 2004? Why would they build another one?

Here* is a "thank you" from Betty Engelstad. I think the "thank yous" should still be going her way. Thanks Mrs. E.

I agree that the thanks should still be going her way. In this day and age where everything moves so fast and time is at a premium, it seems as if many family get-togethers and traditions are getting left by the wayside. What the Engelstad's have created is a place where traditions are at the forefront and families continue to forge bonds by attending games together and even by enjoying them on TV simultaneously from different locations. Before the new arena most of my family didn't have tickets; now members of my family travel over 100 miles from opposite directions for a game weekend. It gives us the reason to get together that we otherwise probably would have missed in favor of other commitments. We talk to other friends and more distant family at games that we otherwise see rarely. A couple of years ago my sister and I walked into the Ralph after a rough summer and it surprised me when she looked at me and echoed what I was feeling, "It feels like coming home!"

Thank you Ralph and Betty Engelstad, for not only helping to deepen our love of Sioux sports but for giving us a place that we make the time to go to together -- a place that not only honors Sioux traditions but, just by being, encourages us to form new family traditions as well. The surface beauty is just a bonus!

• Upvote 2

I agree that the thanks should still be going her way. In this day and age where everything moves so fast and time is at a premium, it seems as if many family get-togethers and traditions are getting left by the wayside. What the Engelstad's have created is a place where traditions are at the forefront and families continue to forge bonds by attending games together and even by enjoying them on TV simultaneously from different locations. Before the new arena most of my family didn't have tickets; now members of my family travel over 100 miles from opposite directions for a game weekend. It gives us the reason to get together that we otherwise probably would have missed in favor of other commitments. We talk to other friends and more distant family at games that we otherwise see rarely. A couple of years ago my sister and I walked into the Ralph after a rough summer and it surprised me when she looked at me and echoed what I was feeling, "It feels like coming home!"

Thank you Ralph and Betty Engelstad, for not only helping to deepen our love of Sioux sports but for giving us a place that we make the time to go to together -- a place that not only honors Sioux traditions but, just by being, encourages us to form new family traditions as well. The surface beauty is just a bonus!

Very well stated!

From Brian Faison...

On behalf of the UND Athletics Department, I offer a hearty congratulations to Ralph Engelstad Arena on its 10-year anniversary.

More important, I extend a most genuine thank you. Thank you to Ralph and Betty Engelstad, Kris McGarry and the entire Engelstad family. A decade ago, the family’s incredible generosity gave us what is, without a doubt, the world’s finest hockey facility.

The impact of this gift has been so far-reaching that it may be immeasurable. It has brought great benefit to our student-athletes, our hockey programs, our athletics department and our entire university. It has helped elevate the Greater Grand Forks community, providing not only a significant economic impactbut immense civic pride.

http://www.grandfork...group/homepage/

From President Kelley....

We are proud to play hockey in the world’s finest collegiate arena, one that is the envy of many professional teams. And we are proud to play basketball and volleyball in The Betty, a later addition that provided another jewel to the athletic crown.

The economic benefit to the community and to the region — something Ralph cited as one of the reasons he and Betty wanted to give back to the university and the community in this way — must be calculated in the millions. The benefit to UND is priceless.

http://www.grandfork...group/homepage/

It will?

It was outgrown before it was built. Hyslop games drew more than The Betty holds. In the fifty's Hyslops first game had an attendance of 7,000 people.

The betty was built as a practice facility and not meant to be a long term goal for UND. (the rea wanted it for the world juniors).

There is a reason basketball games have to be played in another venue. The betty isn't large enough.

If the basketball teams outgrows the Betty, they can use the Ralph. NBA teams and NHL teams share arena's, so can college I would think. Just need better risers on the floor. That being said, basketball in the Ralph is only good when the place is packed. 2000 at a game in the Ralph is a horrible atmosphere. Hopefully we can get 9000 or more for the Bison game in January!!

Imagine players from Phoenix, LA, Bay Area, Baltimore and St Louis coming to UND without the Ralph?

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/event/article/id/51864/group/Sports/

GRAND FORKS — The recruiting class for the University of North Dakota hockey team is unlike any other the programs has had. It has players from the suburban areas of Phoenix, Los Angeles, Oakland, Baltimore and St. Louis.

”That is the new world of hockey,” said UND coach Dave Hakstol, whose team opens the season Friday at home against Air Force. “There are so many kids growing up in nontraditional hockey areas that are starting to play the game. I think it’s a product of the NHL spreading out its footprint. It’s also a product and a statement of how great the game is. It’s a fun game for kids to play.