SiouxSports.com Forum

UAF to WCHA?

GeauxSioux

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess still call me skeptical that UNO will switch from the CCHA to the WCHA.

Not that I think Fairbanks is a better option.

It's interesting that you question that move but you throw out other scenarios and ask people to believe them with far less corroborating evidence.

It's obvious that everyone and the grandma would rather have UNO over UAF....however....

Hasn't the WCHA (well, McLeod anyways) said they'd like to become a "super conference" at some point? Adding UAF would be an option, as well as possibly UAH or another school (Moorhead? Iowa State? Nebraska-Lincoln?) along with BSU and UNO (BSU and UNO being assumptions). Having 14 teams with two 7 team divisions is possible. UAF and UAA would be in separate divisions to better suit the lower 48 teams in the WCHA, but they'd still get to play two series' a year or something.

I'm not pushing for that idea or anything, or even think it's going to happen, but it's something to ponder if the "super conference" idea was a true statement.

Why does it make more sense? Most WCHA fans aren't fans of Anchorage being in the league because of proximity and such, why would they want another school that isn't in their footprint. I realize college hockey is different, but if you look at the Summit League UND is trying to get into, "footprint" is a huge factor. We have already had more of a rivalry with Omaha in several sports than we ever will have with Anchorage, muchless Fairbanks. Maybe you actually need opposing fans at games to have a bigger rivalry, and it won't happen with the Alaska schools.

i've already stated twice why i think it makes more sense, you can look those up if you want to.

i've already stated twice why i think it makes more sense, you can look those up if you want to.

I am not sure why you think that UAF makes sense. UNO is driving distance for C.C., UND, DU, Minnesota, Mankato, SCSU and UMD?

UAF means another flight to Alaska for 10 teams in the WCHA. UNO is the team and the only way that UAF gets in; is the UNO deal falls

through. I think you will see an announcement very soon that UNO is going to be in the WCHA.

I honestly don't see either UAF or UNO wanting to leave the CCHA.

I see the CCHA staying as is and UAH dropping hockey.

Not sure who the WCHA will get to come in with Bemidji...UBC?

Please re-read the majority of this thread. The answer to your question is UNO.

I honestly don't see either UAF or UNO wanting to leave the CCHA.

I see the CCHA staying as is and UAH dropping hockey.

Not sure who the WCHA will get to come in with Bemidji...UBC?

You're not paying attention then; this is what going to happen UNO is going the WCHA, an announcement is coming very soon.

UAH just had a site visit to go along with a campus visit and there is a good chance they are going to be in the CCHA. UAH gave

a presentation to the CCHA at the April meeting and the CCHA was impressed with them. UAH is not going to fold their hockey team.

You're not paying attention then; this is what going to happen UNO is going the WCHA, an announcement is coming very soon.

UAH just had a site visit to go along with a campus visit and there is a good chance they are going to be in the CCHA. UAH gave

a presentation to the CCHA at the April meeting and the CCHA was impressed with them. UAH is not going to fold their hockey team.

Agreed. When the College World Series is finished in Omaha, there likely will be an announcement.

UBC, which two years ago seemed like a lock for NCAA Div I hockey, will not declare for the NCAA this year and maybe not even next year because of accreditation politics. Even if they do move to DII, the hockey team would stay behind in the CIS for several years until UBC is a full DI member. Only then would it exercise it's one sport exemption and move to DI: probably 3-4 yrs from now at the earliest. Maybe they could play Moorhead.

Agreed. When the College World Series is finished in Omaha, there likely will be an announcement.

UBC, which two years ago seemed like a lock for NCAA Div I hockey, will not declare for the NCAA this year and maybe not even next year because of accreditation politics. Even if they do move to DII, the hockey team would stay behind in the CIS for several years until UBC is a full DI member. Only then would it exercise it's one sport exemption and move to DI: probably 3-4 yrs from now at the earliest. Maybe they could play Moorhead.

Holy Cow, if UBC gets into the mix that could really upset the apple cart. Then you start talking UAF, UAA, UBC and the western most schools.

But that debate is for another day.

Holy Cow, if UBC gets into the mix that could really upset the apple cart. Then you start talking UAF, UAA, UBC and the western most schools.

But that debate is for another day.

At the rate that UBC is moving in their approach to joining the NC$$ it looks like it will be at least 5-10 years before they could consider putting together a western hockey league.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/243958/

There is now some credibility to the theory that Omaha will apply to the WCHA. I still don't think it's nearly the done deal that some here want it to be.

Omaha has all the leverage in the world on this nego...they can basically demand that the WCHA tourny be at the Qwest every other year and there is nothing the WCHA can do about it, except say no to both Omaha in Bemidji, in which case Omaha loses nothing.

We'll see...

I am not sure why you think that UAF makes sense. UNO is driving distance for C.C., UND, DU, Minnesota, Mankato, SCSU and UMD?

UAF means another flight to Alaska for 10 teams in the WCHA. UNO is the team and the only way that UAF gets in; is the UNO deal falls

through. I think you will see an announcement very soon that UNO is going to be in the WCHA.

again, i've already stated twice why i think uaf makes the most sense, for all of college hockey, not just certain self-serviing members of the wcha. remember all that talk about having both alaska schools in the same conference and keeping western schools in the western conference? you, and others, clearly don't agree with that position (to each his own), but this business about "i'm not sure why you think uaf makes more sense" that i've heard from a couple people now? i don't know what more you want to hear from me. i feel i've been clear in expressing my opinion on that matter.

i've also already stated my opinion that uno is likely going to be selected, so i won't be the least bit surprised if i do see such an announcement soon.

Let's trade the CCHA UAA for UNO, and just call it a day. :):D

i don't like this idea at. this eliminates bsu from college hockey completely. not acceptable. uaa for uno and osu, now that would be awesome. i'm already an osu hater in football, now i can be a real hater in a sport my team can beat them in.

again, i realize this will never happen, so there's no need to pull the "wrong, this is what's really going to happen, just watch" action.

There is now some credibility to the theory that Omaha will apply to the WCHA. I still don't think it's nearly the done deal that some here want it to be.

Omaha has all the leverage in the world on this nego...they can basically demand that the WCHA tourny be at the Qwest every other year and there is nothing the WCHA can do about it, except say no to both Omaha in Bemidji, in which case Omaha loses nothing.

We'll see...

this opinion sounds earily accurate. i sure hope it doesn't turn into a pissing contest between omaha and the wcha. if it does, then i think it would be time to start negotiating with uaf, they would be a much easier sell and wouldn't ask for anything in return. the opportunity to play 2 to 4 conference games against their biggest rival, uaa of course, would be enough motivation for them.

my biggest concern is for bsu. if they get screwed in all this, college hockey suffers, wcha, ccha, or otherwise. clearly the wcha is courting omaha right now, but i hope the league is willing to be as flexible as possible with other options for the benefit of college hockey, who's future obviously has a direct impact on the wcha's future success.

We'll see...

The league owns all the revenue from the final 4/5/6 - there's no tangible upside for UNO to insist Omaha host the tourney.

The best venue to maximize revenue is the X - for all teams in the league, including us and UNO.

The league owns all the revenue from the final 4/5/6 - there's no tangible upside for UNO to insist Omaha host the tourney.

The best venue to maximize revenue is the X - for all teams in the league, including us and UNO.

Exactly...and it's nice to see that MplsBison is at least level-headed about the issue. Like UNO is going to start making all these demands if the WCHA wants them to join. Yes, they are most likely being pursued by the WCHA, but you really think that UNO is going to want to hold the league ransom to get them to join? That would really benefit everyone and start things out on the right foot now, wouldn't it?

In getting Blais, I'd almost guarantee you that one condition was that UNO is in the WCHA. If this wasn't already in the works, I'd bet that Blais does not go to UNO. For some reason MplsBison doesn't want to accept that UNO would willingly want to be in the WCHA - like the WCHA has to bribe them and give them a ton of concessions to join the league.

Exactly...and it's nice to see that MplsBison is at least level-headed about the issue. Like UNO is going to start making all these demands if the WCHA wants them to join. Yes, they are most likely being pursued by the WCHA, but you really think that UNO is going to want to hold the league ransom to get them to join? That would really benefit everyone and start things out on the right foot now, wouldn't it?

In getting Blais, I'd almost guarantee you that one condition was that UNO is in the WCHA. If this wasn't already in the works, I'd bet that Blais does not go to UNO. For some reason MplsBison doesn't want to accept that UNO would willingly want to be in the WCHA - like the WCHA has to bribe them and give them a ton of concessions to join the league.

I'm telling you right now that Omaha holds all the cards. They can rightfully demand some (at least) of the revenue of a WCHA tournament hosted in the Qwest.

WCHA might tell them to go pound sand, but then what? UNO loses nothing by staying in the CCHA.

again, i've already stated twice why i think uaf makes the most sense, for all of college hockey, not just certain self-serviing members of the wcha. remember all that talk about having both alaska schools in the same conference and keeping western schools in the western conference? you, and others, clearly don't agree with that position (to each his own), but this business about "i'm not sure why you think uaf makes more sense" that i've heard from a couple people now? i don't know what more you want to hear from me. i feel i've been clear in expressing my opinion on that matter.

i've also already stated my opinion that uno is likely going to be selected, so i won't be the least bit surprised if i do see such an announcement soon.

If we were to keep western schools in the Western Conference, then we should take Fairbanks, Omaha and Bemidji and get rid of every school east of the Mississippi, which would include Wisconsin, Duluth and Michigan Tech. I know you aren't proposing that, but I don't think the league name should play a huge part of the equation on what school to select. Each school is no longer compensated for going to Alaska, except to be able to play a few more games, and I doubt the NCAA would allow two more games simply because you play two Alaska schools. That's my opinion and you've stated yours. As the words to the song "We just disagree" goes, "There aint no bad guys, there aint no good guys...

I'm telling you right now that Omaha holds all the cards. They can rightfully demand some (at least) of the revenue of a WCHA tournament hosted in the Qwest.

WCHA might tell them to go pound sand, but then what? UNO loses nothing by staying in the CCHA.

I don't think UNO is going to be unreasonable in its demands, because I think they would benefit greatly by being in the WCHA. I think their attendance will go up because of how some WCHA teams' fans travel, and they sure haven't set the world on fire where they are at. I wouldn't mind seeing a WCHA tournament in Omaha every four or five years, and I'm certain Denver and CC wouldn't either.

You're right...they could tell the WCHA that they don't want to join arguably the best league in college hockey from top to bottom, but would rather stay in the CCHA with a few top-end teams and loaded with duds. We'll see how far that gets them...and how long Blais sticks around!

i don't think the sioux would willingly switch to the ccha just because they wanted us to. i think teams in the top three leagues like being in those leagues. i'm not predicting any trouble from uno, but to flat out say it won't happen? that's pretty bold. i could see the sioux wanting something in return for switching conferences so i don't see any reason another team wouldn't also want something in return.

as for money dispursement from the final 5/6/etc, there's something to be said for home ice advantage, which transcends money. i'm certain it's helped umtc on several occasions. how many times it made the difference between umtc competing in the ncaa tourney or not would require more research than i'm interested in doing right now, but i'd have to assume it's made a difference here and there.

making the ncaa tourney means money in your school's pocket that teams in the wcha who don't make the tourney will not see.

again, i'm on board with the prediction that uno will be in the wcha next year, but let's now count our chickens before they've hatched.