SiouxSports.com Forum

Oops that should have been a goal

Sioux Hockey Fanatic

Shepherd's boss is McLeod, but Greggiepoo has often said that, since the coaches do not speak up about any officials during the offseason, they must be doing fine.

The "no news is good news" aka the "Buddy buddy" system component #1 is firmly entrenched in the officiating corps.

I don't know who hires or fires officials, whether Shep has sole or joint autonomy (with McLeod). He definitely has say, though, in retention and development of the officials though.

So this brings up a good question; who does the league answer to? Who has oversight over the league?

What is the grievence policy as in the Wisconsin case?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're hitting the nail on the head Redwing. Many of our good officials have gone down the tubes. Mike Schmitt for one started great and ended not so good.

When everyone is doing a bad job it leads you to believe the problem is the leadership, not the individuals.

i have to disagree with you there, schmitt always seemed to call a good, consistent game. he is the best official we have had in recent (or any) memory. our officiating corp as a whole took a big step down when schmitt left. i agree with the majority here that we have to start with the leadership, mccleod or shep, and see how things go from there.

Well we're not really going to come to an agreement on this issue. I do agree that he HAD been an excellent referee early on.

Towards the end not so.

Two incidents come to mind that are inexcusable.

Not calling a major penatly when Murry? from Wisconsin ran Travis Roche head first into the boards. That one was even more blatant that the Paukovitch hit.

Not backing up Jay Kleven when Schmitt missed the boarding. It was a boarding penalty.

So is bad officiating just part of the game (They are going to screw up) But they should screw up consistently/evenly for both teams :D

It must all be part of the whole entertainment package :D

You have to learn to enjoy taking your frustrations out on them :D

But of course (like here) do it with civility :D

From today's Strib.

TV replays showed Ford scored with 0.9 seconds left, and Schmidt signaled for the goal and the red goal light went on. The light and game clock are synched up so that it can't be illuminated if time has expired.

A witness said Schmidt took a cursory look at one frame in his review: the one where the clock showed 00:00.

That overhead shot showed the puck in the crease, so Schmidt apparently assumed it hadn't crossed the goal line. In fact, the puck already had crossed the goal line at that point and the puck had come back out of the net.

This is a travesty if true.

Well we're not really going to come to an agreement on this issue. I do agree that he HAD been an excellent referee early on.

Towards the end not so.

Two incidents come to mind that are inexcusable.

Not calling a major penatly when Murry? from Wisconsin ran Travis Roche head first into the boards. That one was even more blatant that the Paukovitch hit.

Not backing up Jay Kleven when Schmitt missed the boarding. It was a boarding penalty.

I don't have any info on these two instances, i did not see them so i can't comment. If they were as blatent as you say, then that is too bad, but these are isolated instances. I still feel he was the most consistent and fair official we have had in recent memory.

I don't have any info on these two instances, i did not see them so i can't comment. If they were as blatent as you say, then that is too bad, but these are isolated instances. I still feel he was the most consistent and fair official we have had in recent memory.

And you call yourself a Sioux Hockey fan, I'm still bitter about the elbow to the head that Doug Smail took in the 1980 title game that wasn't called. You''re not a fan if you can't carry a grudge beyond reason. :D

Seriously though, I thought that Schmitt was worse as time went on. I blame that on being told one thing one day by the boss and told another thing the next day.

I see Wisconsin has filed a formal appeal. It looks like it goes to the faculty representatives. I'm going to bet that they decline to do anything because they don't want to stuck fixing the WCHA's screwups week after week.

Course I"m terrible at predictions.

OK, I'm going to be an aggitator here. Just for arguments sake (I know there is no way to know who would actually win), lets say that DU lost both the games that had controversial goals (SC and Wisco), that would change the point totals as follows:

Colorado College 30 15-3-0 16-6-0

Denver 20 10-6-0 15-7-0

North Dakota 18 9-7-0 12-8-1

Minnesota Duluth 16 6-6-4 8-7-5

St. Cloud State 16 7-7-2 12-9-3

Wisconsin 13 6-7-1 10-9-3

Michigan Tech 11 5-8-1 9-11-2

Minnesota 11 5-8-1 11-10-3

Minnesota State 10 3-7-4 9-8-4

Alaska Anchorage 7 2-9-3 6-9-5

This changes things by putting UND only 2 points out of 2nd (which we could pass DU this weekend as we play league and they don't), St. Clown tied for fourth and Wisco only 3 points out of 5th instead of 5

Granted, as I said before, there's no way to know who would have actually won those games, but these screw-ups don't just affect the teams that played, but everyone else in the league as well (not to metion pairwise). Someone should really be accountable. :D

OK, I'm going to be an aggitator here. Just for arguments sake (I know there is no way to know who would actually win), lets say that DU lost both the games that had controversial goals (SC and Wisco), that would change the point totals as follows:

Denver 20 10-6-0 15-7-0

This changes things by putting UND only 2 points out of 2nd (which we could pass DU this weekend as we play league and they don't), St. Clown tied for fourth and Wisco only 3 points out of 5th instead of 5

Granted, as I said before, there's no way to know who would have actually won those games, but these screw-ups don't just affect the teams that played, but everyone else in the league as well (not to metion pairwise). Someone should really be accountable. :D

Great analysis. After our sweep this weekend we will be two points behind Dunver. The most likely standings without Randy Schmidt fouling the waters is we'd be tied for second. Maybe even ahead.

I knew it was part of the anti-UND conspiracy. :D

This game should be counted the same way UND vs BC was counted- a tie with a note saying it was no able to be completed. Instead of saying "unable to complete due to poor ice conditions" it should state, "unable to complete due to poor officiating".

The goal was counted and regulation time had expired. The game was tied at that point and it was not completed, that is the fact and the why is only fodder for blogs and papers to wax.

Did anyone else read the "explanation" that the clock was at fault for this whole folderol? I believe I read (somewhere) that the clock actually goes like this:

0:01.0

0:00

THEN to

0:00.9

0:00.8

So when the ref was looking at the clock in the replay he was (sort of) correctly seeing time had "expired" (cause the clock read zeroes) when in actuality there was still some tenths of a second remaining?

Or did I just imagine that? ;)

(Could just be one of those flashback dealies..........) :D

Did anyone else read the "explanation" that the clock was at fault for this whole folderol? I believe I read (somewhere) that the clock actually goes like this:

THEN to

So when the ref was looking at the clock in the replay he was (sort of) correctly seeing time had "expired" (cause the clock read zeroes) when in actuality there was still some tenths of a second remaining?

You're good here mike, I read that too. Don't know for a fact if that's the way the clock works, but I read it somewhere.

You're good here mike, I read that too. Don't know for a fact if that's the way the clock works, but I read it somewhere.

Oh thank gawd. After I posted that I was really starting to wonder if I hadn't had a Timothy Leary. :cringe:

Denver 20 10-6-0 15-7-0

To be more realistic, I would give Denver two ties that would put us 4 back. Regardless, we just need to win out. (Yes, I am serious, that can happen, we have the talent).

THEN to

From the link Fetch supplied:

A witness said Schmidt took a cursory look at one frame in his review: the one where the clock showed 00:00. That overhead shot showed the puck in the crease, so Schmidt apparently assumed it hadn't crossed the goal line

If that's the case then Schmidt should be fired and be expected to refund the ticket price to everyone at the game out of his own pocket for cheating them. (Ok I don't really expect the second part).

It'd be easy enough to give credence to that scenario by the TV replay. How long did Schmidt review the camera? Figuring out the rest of the scenarios would take time.

time to break out the what if calculator, always fun making your team end up where you want them :D

being realistic about it, i had 2 scenerios where und edges out du for 2nd and one where du gets us by 3 points or so and we end up third

WHAT IF CALCULATOR

UND runs the table...

UND 28 42

CC 28 42

Denver 28 36

MTech 28 27

UW 28 27

UMD 28 25

SCSU 28 25

UMN 28 23

Mankato 28 19

AA 28 14