SiouxSports.com Forum

Little Caesars North American Hockey Showcase 2008

The Sicatoka

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C- Does Merrill play tough in the corners? He's 2 years younger than most players, correct?

He certainly doesn't shy away from taking the body, but I think his game is based more off of his skating ability.

The age difference varies. Merrill was born in '92 and is a high school sophomore. There are some other '91 birthdates on his team, but there are also a few kids like Adam Wiesner, who was mentioned earlier, that have already graduated from high school. There's only a handful of '92 birthdates, most of them defenseman, playing Midget Major hockey this year. Most '92s are playing Midget Minor.

Just got back from watching SSM vs Dallas. SSM is GOOD. They are excellent at getting the puck to the net. Shots were 61-10 and the score was 5-1. Dallas goalie had a .918 SV% which isn't two bad considering the number of shots SSM had. The play didn't seem as lopsided as it was in last nights game of SSM vs Eastman (played almost entire game in Eastman's end). SSM is very aggressive and really took on what seemed to be a physically much bigger Dallas team. Wasn't as impressed with CJ Ludwig today as I was last night, but I'm not sure anyone could look impressive against SSM. He is a solid player though and is tough to knock down. People just seem to bounce of him. Not a real big kid (5'11" I think) but very solid on his skates. Would like to see him in a Sioux uniform. I think there is some real potential there. Looks much better than he did last year. David Toews was good. He had one goal that I saw (missed the first three goals of the game) and it was a nice one. He's a good puck handler and has a great nose for the net and for who's on their way to the net. Matt B from SSM (I can't spell his last name) is very feisty. Got two penalties right in a row for mixing it up in the last half of the first, but then settled down a little. He played alot on the PK and the couple times SSM was down two men, he played most of the 5 on 3 PK and Dallas didn't score on either of them. Toews was also out there on the 2 5 on 3 PKs and did well. It's alot of fun to watch SSM. They've got alot of good players and they play hard and never let up.

On a side note - nice crowd both last night and today. Thought at first that Canada really travels well (there are 3 manitoba teams in the tourney) but walking out to the car the license plates were pretty evenly split with ND, MN and Canada. Nice to see the local support.

Dropped shoulder, big hit, hmmm, looked a lot like TJ's big hits.

Does anyone know if this guy is related to our own Craig Ludwig?

his son and he was rumored to verbal to the sioux this last weekend but that turned out to be false.

Craig was one of my favorite 'goons'!!!

A big bruhaha in front of the Sioux net at the old Ralph (don't remember who we were playing), was my best Ludwig memory. All the officials were tied up with the players in front of the net. This little guy was swinging at Ludwig. Ludwig held him by the front of his jersey, arms lenght away, and skated backwards toward the blue line. The guy never landed a hit. Once they were a ways away from the net, and the officials, Ludwig gave the guy one big hit, the guy went down and Ludwig skated to the bench and watched the end of the brouhaha from there. :D:D:lol:

I don't know if he's a dirty player or not, but it appears that he posted that video on You Tube himself. That seems strange to me.

Why? :D Great hit! Lot's of people, especially high school and college students, post their accomplishments on YouTube, MySpace, Facebook, etc. I don't think it's strange at all.

Why? :D Great hit! Lot's of people, especially high school and college students, post their accomplishments on YouTube, MySpace, Facebook, etc. I don't think it's strange at all.

I guess I'm just getting old :D . It just seems like the ultimate in chest-thumping.

technically, could have been called a charge, he came from halfway across the ice. the kid had his head down, but hate to see a kid get hurt on a hit like that. the difference between that hit and most of oshies are that usually the other guy is the one trying to hit oshie (and usually unsuccesfully). as to the kid posting it himself on youtube, not a big fan of that, but i guess i am too old now to understand this new generation... when did that happen?

technically, could have been called a charge, he came from halfway across the ice. the kid had his head down, but hate to see a kid get hurt on a hit like that. the difference between that hit and most of oshies are that usually the other guy is the one trying to hit oshie (and usually unsuccesfully). as to the kid posting it himself on youtube, not a big fan of that, but i guess i am too old now to understand this new generation... when did that happen?

The big difference I see is both players are moving faster in the Oshie hits than in the Ludwig hit. The kid he hits seems to have slowed down with the puck.

I'm so happy TJ's on our side!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pasfffw75GY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiSdXKDB_n0

Aren't you suppose to be skating with your head up? He would have seen it coming then..