SiouxSports.com Forum

CC at Wisconsin on Saturday

The Sicatoka

During Saturday's CC at UW game (sorry, with no Sioux on the tube I decided to watch that one with the radio tuned to Hennessy in the background) the CSTV announcers talked about two things that Colorado College is doing:

Owens has them working under the philosophy of getting a shot on net in 8 seconds or less after taking possession of the puck, no matter where on the ice they start from.
At times they seem to sell out defensively to do this, but it sure put a ton of pressure onto the UW defense.

Owens has them all on some sort of special diet where just about everything they eat and drink is monitored.
Many of the Tigers are
down
weight from last season. But under this regimine they all claim to be faster and feel stronger.

I don't know if it's a new trend (the last being Dean Blais' "we're just in better shape than you are" off-season training), but 14-6-0 (and 13-3-0 in league) to this point sure seems to point that it's working for CC so far.

2. Owens has them all on some sort of special diet where just about everything they eat and drink is monitored. Many of the Tigers are down weight from last season. But under this regimine they all claim to be faster and feel stronger.

It would be interesting to see if this including beer and fast food?

I see that one of the games will be replayed on one of the Fox Sports channels (FCSA) at 1130 am today, not sure which one.

The one CC's Chad Rau scored a shorty in.

No, wait, that doesn't help narrow it down .... he got a shorty each night!

During Saturday's CC at UW game (sorry, with no Sioux on the tube I decided to watch that one with the radio tuned to Hennessy in the background) the CSTV announcers talked about two things that Colorado College is doing:

2. Owens has them all on some sort of special diet where just about everything they eat and drink is monitored. Many of the Tigers are down weight from last season. But under this regimine they all claim to be faster and feel stronger.

With the emphasis on development and results at this level it would surprise me if teams didn't have something like this going on. What you eat and drink, and when, can not only be huge in helping you perform, it affects how well you recover from one night and be ready for the next.

I'd love to hear the training regimines of guys like James Patrick or Chris Chelios, guys who played or are playing in the NHL into their late 70s or early 80s ....

OK, just 40s (Chelios is skating a top four D shift at 45!), but you get the point. :D

It'd be interesting to see what that could do for an 18-23 year old.

Pro cycling (Tour de France type) is an interesting sport. In becoming a fan of that sport over the last few years I've learned a little about how critical nutrition is to these guys. Racing 100-150 km's per day over 3 weeks is a killer on the body. These guys have finely tuned nutrition regimens that not only include what you eat, but when. How quickly you need to get what types stuff into your body (liquid, solid, carbs, proteins, etc) so that it can recover for the next day's race. Not only consuming after or before the race, but what they consume during the race as well.

There are many riders who will critique their performance after a day's stage and be able to point to a lack of energy to making a mistake on their recovery from the previous day's stage.

I would assume these top flight hockey programs have some sort of designed system in place that would work with hockey, but if not, maybe Owens is on the cutting edge. Having energy in the 3rd period makes or breaks games and seasons, and would be a mistake to ignore the effect of diet.

Sometimes I wish the Sioux did a little of #1. Especially when we are down a goal in the third period.

What'd be bettter is not putting a "number two" into their own Tacklas in the third (like they did Saturday v. UNH and Friday v. SCSU).

1. Owens has them working under the philosophy of getting a shot on net in 8 seconds or less after taking possession of the puck, no matter where on the ice they start from. At times they seem to sell out defensively to do this, but it sure put a ton of pressure onto the UW defense.

That would be hard against a team that plays the trap. They shot the puck on net and it ends up right back out of the zone. UND gains the zone then cycles the puck.

It will be interesting to see if the suspensions that C.C. suffered during the Christmas break will start to play a factor in C.C. fortunes during the second half of the season.