SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ ST. CLOUD

AZSIOUX

Did not have time to read all 15 pages, but I thought the Sioux dominated the first 2+ periods, but as soon as the 1st goal went in for SCSU it is like they feel apart. I am sure others have said the same thing. It is just my opinion, but I think it is time to give Lammy the night off and let him refocus.

Overall I am disappointed but not too worried. i still think this team has a chance.

One last thing, do I hear right that Oshie lost his "A". Can someone fill me in please.

The mouse in the corner says it's true! Thow it on #29.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody's gotta start taking this personally. Someone has to step up and say "Enough".

I don't want to hear about puck luck, a hot goalie, whatever.

This is embarassing. A team that was pre-season No. 1.

Agree 100%. When teams like Denver or Colorado College play against good defensive teams and good goaltenders (which is what St. Cloud has most years), they still find ways to put the puck into the net. When we run into those same teams, we "run into a hot goaltender". That little paragraph in my signature is going to stay there until the local media in this town (and that includes TH) stops using the same old excuses and rationalizations for why this team can't finish up strong in games and play solid hockey for 60 minutes (not 41 minutes or whatever it was tonight). :lol:

We had a 2-0 lead in the third period and couldn't finish the job. Our teams in the 1990's would have finished the job and maybe added an empty netter. That is what championship teams do. Right now, we aren't doing it. And until this current version of the Fighting Sioux start doing it, we won't be hanging any banners anytime soon. Because Jeff Panzer, Lee Goren, David Hoogsteen, Jason Blake and Karl Goehring won't be walking through those doors to save us. The 11 NHL draft picks on this team will have to do it or it won't happen.

Disagree if you want "duckies and bunnies", but that is how I see it. And I don't like it either. :lol:

Just back from the game. You saw it too, I guess opportunities wasted would be my opinion. Many loose pucks in front of the net in the third and we couldn't capitalize, and I was sitting on that end, very frustrating. The huskies made the most of their opportunities, they deserve the win. I was entertained for 2 plus hours, and that's all I can ask for I guess. radke looked a little goonish, which I like. Great atmosphere for a game, their fans really get into it.

there were a few huskies idiots sitting in front of some Sioux fans in 201 (wearing finley and Brandt jerseys in case u know them)they were dumping popcorn on a Sioux fan. "finley" looked pretty pissed, these husky fans were complete asses.

We'll be back in black tomorrow.

Goal 1: JPL comes across lazily on the wrap around and gives the 5 hole. Should never happen, think Porter on Frazee.

Goal 2: Turnover in transition, but the defense recovers and on the 2x2 the forward is pushed wide and beats JPL with a weak wide angle shot 5 hole.

Goal 3: In JPL's defense it was a breakaway, but he bites on a weak move spreads his legs wide for 5 hole #3.

This was the worst game I have seen JPL play in 2 years.

Jeeze. I'm hearing a lot about d-men not handling the puck very well in their own zone. Having hellish times getting it out of the zone.

Too bad Brian Lee signed with the Sens, huh? :lol:

Oh, and one other thing: a championship team needs a goaltender who makes all the saves he's supposed to make and a couple great ones every game. This team doesn't have that right now.

Jeeze. I'm hearing a lot about d-men not handling the puck very well in their own zone. Having hellish times getting it out of the zone.

Oh, and one other thing: a championship team needs a goaltender who makes all the saves he's supposed to make and a couple great ones every game. This team doesn't have that right now.

good point on lee but he left, what can yo do :lol:

phil hasnt been our problem though overall. the last 3rd period meltdowns are a nice TEAM effort for sure. as soon as that easy wrap went it which was partially phils fault with the help of chorney leaving lasch be. then they got full momentum and its was downhill fast from there.

i guess we can hope for the splits to keep coming tomorrow :lol:

Phil played his best in Denver....does it bother anyone else though that we never give Walski a shot??

I've heard from some players he is pretty legit. Not only that, but a lot of teams we've faced this year play both goaltenders. Not cutting down phil whatsoever, I just think that a little competition for the spot may make the difference.

but just my opinion..... :lol:

I don't know if anything would be gained by adding Lee back. Handling the puck doesn't mean much if you are too scared to go in the corners and get hit. Marto and Lapoint are already playing at Lee's level.

Maybe I'm overthinking this.....(and correct me if I'm wrong).... but, didn't we lose Friday in our Greens at Tech, Wisconsin, and Denver on the road... and then come back and win Saturday in our Blacks? Not sure what we wore at Northeastern on Saturday..... so it's obvious.......WEAR THE BLACKS EVERY GAME ON THE ROAD!!!!! Oh..... and shore up the defense and goaltending...and get more firepower.... THEN we can all meet in Denver in April! :lol:

I forgot to ask when I wrote the above post...... Besides everything I wrote above.....Did we wear the greens or blacks in the fog bowl at Boston College? Depending on the answer, I bet we could figure out what that outcome would have been....

--- And I was also thinking the same as mike jm about Brian Lee ....just couldn't get myself to type it :lol: (would have had to call myself a hypocrite)... Okay...time for another Budweiser....

Phil played his best in Denver....does it bother anyone else though that we never give Walski a shot??

I've heard from some players he is pretty legit. Not only that, but a lot of teams we've faced this year play both goaltenders. Not cutting down phil whatsoever, I just think that a little competition for the spot may make the difference.

but just my opinion..... :lol:

doesnt bother me really. how many 3rd string walk on goalies play even a game oin their careers? not many. mostly exh games or vs a team like wayne state like the gophers did with rewarding solie a start and basically letting frazee know he may be a nice back up for now on. and its kind of a different case with him being moved to the #2 role. lets remember that he is a 3rd string walk on. im not slamming him but there is a reason he hasnt played. phil hasnt been our problem by any means. does he give up a few bad goals? sure but so does every goalie. we arent scoring like we should right now and the 2, third period meltdowns were TEAM efforts. you have to roll with your #1 now especially that every game is so damn important. i dont want to go into a game with that worry along with our other worries. now if he gets his chance i will back him 100% of course as all sioux fans but im not bothered by it

i dont doubt hes a good goalie but thats practice and is a hell fo a lot diffeent than wcha games and if he was ready to play i think hak maybe would have played him by now but who knows about down the road.

im guessing its for a few games then earn it back as thats what blais did with greene a few years back. if not then we will see i guess

Hak said in the pregame with Henessey that Oshie loses the "A" for the remainder of the season...... That's a pisser....

I agree with da Taz. I'm not worried at all. I think with all the pressure of pre-season expectations, the Sioux are clutching their sticks a little tight right now. They just need to have some fun. Hell, it's only a game.

This team isn't clutching their sticks a little tight right now. They are clutching their throats.

Was the pun intended? lol

Bummer for TJ though... Oh well, nothing any of us can do about it...

Yeah, I forgot to hit the smiley :lol: in my haste to make a new beverage, and ironically, take a p*ss myself :lol: .... on another note... can anyone confirm what color jerseys we have worn in all of our road losses...I mean all of our Friday road losses...guess that would be all of our road losses.

Did they show the SCSU's goalie stick broken in the 3rd period on TV? He was scrambling around without a stick, they finaly got it out of the zone, and one of the guys on the bench was going to through one out on the ice when the goalie decided to make a break for the bench, just as SCSU scored their first goal...that was a huge momentum swing, and a blown opportunity.

Ironicly, as I was leaving St. Cloud heading east on 94, I saw an sign, "Opportunity Drive, Next Exit".....

Defensive breakdowns in the third period are unacceptable, especially when you're protecting a lead. We held SCSU to 0 shots on goal in the second period, and a grand total of 18. We should never lose a game where we hold the opponent to under 20 shots. The limited shots for SCSU is the only positive to take from this game.

Giving up a second consecutive third period 2-goal lead is absolutely unacceptable. Are Hak's post game comments available anwhere?

I think that the chatter and diving of SCSU got into the guys' heads a bit. We can not allow ourselves to be rattled like that.

Phil might have gotten cold back there through limited work. Most goalies will tell you that it is harder to play well when you aren't busy.

The team needs to fire up, and we need to continue attacking, not fall back into a defensive shell when we are protecting a lead.

Power play wows continue to hurt us. Officiating was pretty poor, with ticky tack penalties and a clear dive by Mr Roe giving a 4-2 edge in the man-advantage. The 5th penalty on the Sioux was with 2 seconds left, so I don't even count that.

SCSU is a good team, but we dominated them. Losing games you should win and play well enough to win is very disconcerting.

It appears that this team gets rattled pretty easily, time for Taylor Chorney to show why he wore the C for Team USA at the WJC a few years ago. Calm it down, play composed.

The sky is not falling, but we need to get our act together.

From a hockey fundamental's perspective when you have the advantage in the defensive zone in an odd-man situation you play the body, when you are disadvantage you play to cut off the pass.

To Chorney's credit, I do believe that he was at the end of a long shift and probably out of gas. However, he needed to put Mr Lasch on his arse.

other positives:

Genoway played sound fundamental D. I thought the Martens, Zajac and Radke line did their job well. Solid performances from Watkins and Kozek. Best game of the year for CHorney IMO.

big negatives:

Phil played his worst game of the year...

SCSU does a good job at forcing the play outside. We needed to stop the attempts at cycling and going to the outside, and simply cutting in and letting shots go. Going wide and then working three guys deep is not going to score goals.

After reading these pages, I noticed 2 pipes and a lot of good Sioux hockey. It's disappointing to have another meltdown in the 3rd, but the team shows the ability is there. It's not too late in the season, so my hope springs eternal.

Tomorrow night the Sioux win.

Giving up a second consecutive third period 2-goal lead is absolutely unacceptable. Are Hak's post game comments available anwhere?

I think that the chatter and diving of SCSU got into the guys' heads a bit. We can not allow ourselves to be rattled like that.

Phil might have gotten cold back there through limited work. Most goalies will tell you that it is harder to play well when you aren't busy.

-You are right on that that giving up another 3rd period lead is unacceptable....

- Hak said his usual "It is what it is". ... whatever the hell that is supposed to mean...

- If chatter is getting into their heads, then they are in the wrong league..... and a dive or two did not decide the outcome of this game.

- Why give Phil an excuse because of limited work? I have heard that since PeeWee Hockey... B.S. - If you are playing for THE premier University in Division 1 hockey, that can NEVER be an excuse....... End of story...