SiouxSports.com Forum

Oshie suspended one game

UND92,96

Unless they publish the arrests of any other regular Joe, than they shouldn't publish an athlete's.

Once you pull on a jersey you are no longer a "regular joe" but a public figure.

And the media has, does, and always will report on the activities, positive or not, of public figures.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you pull on a jersey you are no longer a "regular joe" but a public figure.

And the media has, does, and always will report on the activities, positive or not, of public figures.

what about if your name is Joe Finley :sad:;):lol:

I realize that but I wish people would evolve and stop going along with it. It's not news, be it an athlete or a politician. Parts of it might be, but the incident of a whole isn't but it isn't going to stop if people don't take what the media says with a grain of salt.

I realize that but I wish people would evolve and stop going along with it. It's not news, be it an athlete or a politician. Parts of it might be, but the incident of a whole isn't but it isn't going to stop if people don't take what the media says with a grain of salt.

It's pretty simple when you break it down:

You want to be in the spotlight (in a jersey, in public office, whatever) you buy the whole package deal: the spotlight, the attention, and the scrutiny.

It's pretty simple when you break it down:

You want to be in the spotlight (in a jersey, in public office, whatever) you buy the whole package deal: the spotlight, the attention, and the scrutiny.

Where is the line for legit scrutiny? Or is it all legit?

TJ Oshie got arrested.

Not warned, not cited, arrested.

The cops don't do that lightly lest they be sued.

Yet, they did.

Ask yourself: How many times have you been arrested?

No matter how you look at this, an arrest does not shine proudly on the University of North Dakota.

Shine proudly on the University of North Dakota in all you do.

Well - Robbie was arrested by GF finest - charges were drawn up by some goofy county attorney and the whole thing was dimissed within a matter of minutes by a judge who saw that ordeal for what it was - nothing. And I highly doubt that the PD gets sued for false arrest unless they arrest the wrong person.

The police also have all the discretion in the world - and usually let stuff like this go. I think perhaps that they must have gotten caught up with the status of the people they were dealing with.

Putting on the jersey makes you more of a representative, blah, blah, blah. I heard the same things in high school from my coaches. It definitely might place you more in the public eye, but it shouldn't mean that you're held to a different standard. Do you honestly believe that these guys should do nothinthing but go to class, the gym, and the rink, and then just sit at home and watch game films or concentrate on self actualization? I don't want robots, I want kids and players. Some of what makes TJ Oshie great comes from the fire he brings to the ice. He is a fan favorite because of that energy. Even though Toews was probably the most gifted player on the team last year, and Duncan scored the most goals, TJ is the one that everyone loves. His youthful exhuberance for life and for the game shows every shift, it makes him better.

In the grand scheme of life, and the hierarchy of mistakes a person makes, getting charged with disorderly conduct at 2:30 in the morning while in college is at the very bottom, breaking curfew garnering a suspension and missing a game for being dumb is maybe a hair above that.

Learning from a previous arrest? He was cited for being at a bar while under 21...now that he is over 21 the lesson no longer applies, and yes, he apparently did learn his lesson from last year, because I can guarantee that he had some fun (like any other college kid) between the time of his citation and his 21st birthday, and we didn't see his name in the paper.

People this is not murder, arson or rape. This isn't even a DUI. I know a guy who got charged with a felony for driving a skidsteer off a construction site while drunk in college. He is a good person and a top character person. I would trust him with my children. My point being a minor run in with the law without intent to do harm is a stupid, childish lapse in judgement, but not a defining moment of someone's life or what they stand for.

I stand behind TJ, no matter the outcome.

Next point: Environment off the ice is an important tool in recruiting top end players. Legal run-ins due to overzealous police work has now hit several of our top players over the last few years. How the community, university and fans respond is important to keeping the recruiting efforts up.

I do not envy the coaches' positions in all of this.

I haven't posted my opinion on TJ's arrest and I'm not going to either. I posted an opinion based on information that had been posted after I wondered what would happen to TJ given he is still on probation.

What is most upsetting to me about this entire situation is the reactions of some members of this board. I certainly don't agree with the majority of what many have posted but I like to think I respect their right to their opinion. Because someone doesn't agree with me doesn't automatically make them a bad person, an idiot, a criminal, mentally ill, a bad fan, a 'hater', etc. He/She is a fan whose opinion differs from yours. Too many times, I have avoided posting what I think about a situation because I don't want to deal with the backlash. Those who know me, know that's a big deal because normally I like a good verbal disagreement. But that's when it's a 'clean' disagreement. Being the subject of sarcasm, verbal attacks, etc is not my idea of what a Fighting Sioux fan on a Fighting Sioux sport forum should have to deal with. Yesterday was not a good day for this SiouxSports.com member.

Oh, and before you say it, I will. I know I have the option not to come on the board. I'm still here and will continue to be here. :lol:

Being the subject of sarcasm, verbal attacks, etc is not my idea of what a Fighting Sioux fan on a Fighting Sioux sport forum should have to deal with.

This concern was noted by the administration and moderation team yesterday.

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry301228

All be warned:

Your opinions are valued, but personal attacks, or smear campaigns, will not be tolerated. If you say it you better be prepared to own up to it.

GDM

I think we all need to get back to what is important about the Sioux, a weekend series against a conference team that has huge implications to the Sioux's season. So lets stop talking Oshie and start talking about a big weekend in the WCHA. Go Sioux!!!!

The difference between students and student-athletes is the reason TJ is sitting out a game. By being arrested he violated a code of conduct that all student-athletes sign at the beginning of their season. Like it or not, they ARE representing UND. An athlete being arrested casts the school in a bad light. Guilt or innocence is for the court to decide, but just being arrested means you violated your responsibility as a student-athlete, thus the suspension and this little "debate".

Was that redundant enough?

Just remember they are human like you and I. To err is human, they aren't perfect either. If you expect them to be perfect, you're expecting the impossible.

Sasquatch is my number one friend on MySpace.

;)

You're just jealous.

I love the Messin With Sasquatch commercials.....

Na huh, you're jealous because Sasquatch loves me more. And those commercials are great.

TJ Oshie is a gifted, talented, awesome hockey player and he's on OUR team of gifted, talented, awesome hockey players!!

I love being a Fighting Sioux fan!!! :lol:

Tell me what's the difference whether you run out on your team or pull a major boner like this? Oshie is not a kid he's 21 years old that makes him a man, he figures he's old enough to drink he better figure it out he old enough to suffer the consequences. Maybe they will give him speedy due process and he will face the courts before the season is over this time.

Maybe he gets 30 to 60 days in the clink, tell how he's going to help his team now. Everyone has to be reponsible for their own actions.

I thought I could browse through all of the "oshie suspended" posts without actually feeling the urge to give my two cents... I don't mean to pick on sioupermex, it just happened that I couldn't go on after reading his post without giving my opinion;

1st of all, please don't try to compare Okposo's leaving to Oshie's arrest. Not even in the same category. To compare the two is asinine. Secondly, (unless it's covered later on in this thread), we don't even know what he was arrested for. A disorderly conduct could be any number of things. Sometimes (believe me), the cops may arrest you when you have done nothing wrong. So to call it major boner before we know the facts is going a little overboard. If he were to have gotten a DUI, that'd be a different story.

Do you seriously expect Oshie to go back to his apt after the games and go to bed. Of course he's going to party a little bit. BFD.

I thought I could browse through all of the "oshie suspended" posts without actually feeling the urge to give my two cents... I don't mean to pick on sioupermex, it just happened that I couldn't go on after reading his post without giving my opinion;

1st of all, please don't try to compare Okposo's leaving to Oshie's arrest. Not even in the same category. To compare the two is asinine. Secondly, (unless it's covered later on in this thread), we don't even know what he was arrested for. A disorderly conduct could be any number of things. Sometimes (believe me), the cops may arrest you when you have done nothing wrong. So to call it major boner before we know the facts is going a little overboard. If he were to have gotten a DUI, that'd be a different story.

Do you seriously expect Oshie to go back to his apt after the games and go to bed. Of course he's going to party a little bit. BFD.

Great Post Dead Rabbit. I agree 100%.