SiouxSports.com Forum

UND v GVSU

SiouxMD

It is disappointing to know that it would have been a home game next week, but it doesn't matter I guess. Tough game to watch, as I thought that GVSU looked beatable, but UND did not show up (which was probably not their fault considering injuries and a down year for the Sioux defense). It would have been nice to see my new-hometown team win it (UNO), seeing how the Sioux were out, but Athletics have a way of letting me down.

We can use the 2003-postnickel-Bison defense... so what, we're Division 1 now!!!

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. I am sick and tired of "tradition doesn't graduate". I am sick and tired of that cartoonish Popeye the Sailorman logo. I am sick and tired of hearing "If Anes had been healthy, we would have won hands down in 2001". And I am sick and tired of playing second fiddle to the Lakers year after year after year (I know that is a moot point from now on because we are moving up, but I'm still sick of it). If CWU goes into Allendale and wins next week, I will be one happy sports fan. And I am not ashamed to say that.

Fightingsioux4life don't be bitter. It was a great rivalry however brief. Every GV fan I know has nothing but respect for your entire football program. It is without a doubt a top notch organization, with great players and coaches, who have been very successful by any standard. You have a winning tradition and great football fans. Your team NEVER gives up. You Fighting Sioux are literally fighters in other arenas as well and GV fans have felt your pain as you do battle with the NCAA over their hostile, abusive, and unfair policies. You are officially out of Dvision II now after many years at or near the top. The disappointment of today will quickly fade and you will find that you need a Division II team to pull for. Just as I imangine many Sioux Players wished the Grand Valley Players good fortune as they met at midfield after the game so too can you wish the best for a worthy adversary. On behalf of Grand Valley State University I invite Fightingsioux4life and all of the great University of North Dakota fans to adopt us as their favored Division II football program. I of course will understand your reluctance to do so until after the NCC/GLIAC slugfest ends next week. After all, you guys are nothing if not loyal, but trust DaveK on this one. There is always room for great fans like you on the GV bandwagon.

I like how the cut to the Laker Mascot humping the goal post.
I must have missed that somehow.

I heard the announced attendance at under 4,900. And we thought we had problems getting people to playoff games.

Yeah, Thanksgiving, State HS FB Championships in Detroit with a GR local team and well, being freakin' cold and windy never helps attendence. If it wasn't for the drive and the noise nearly made my head explode in 2004, I don't think I would have mind playing in the AL today. :D

I just want to offer my congrats to another fine season even though you have lost ot GVSU it was still another fine season. I wanted to see the game but I was in GAINESVILLE watching MY GATORS rip up those seminloes. So in closing best of luck in GWFC & GO SIOUXXXXXXXXXXXX. By the way TIMBOW FOR THE HEISMAN.

SIOUX FAN (HOCKEY) SINCE 1973.

Could someone please explain to me why Josh Murray only touched the ball once after his touchdown in the third quarter? At the end of that touchdown drive he had three impressive runs. One for 11 yards to the 3. The next one was the touchdown. The final one on the successful two point conversion in which he made a nice move to shed a tackler and get in the end zone. It would be nice if Mr Nelson would ask these questions but his article was all about excuses: injuries, wind, bad breaks,...wine, wine, wine. I'm tired of the pussy reporting done in the sports department. Let's tell it like it is for once, we were badly out-coached and our game plan was horrible and our play calling was clueless. Every Sioux football fan is furious and our beat writer gives us nothing but excuses. UGH!

couple of quick side notes....for what it's worth....

I thought #6 (landry?) looked much better, much more confident back there than #7.

Freund had a terrible day, that is very evident by the fact that Landry looked like the better QB. I also thought Landry played well, but when Freund is playing at the level he normally did this season he is a far better QB. Landry may be better down the road, but right now he isn't even though he looked like it yesterday.

Could someone please explain to me why Josh Murray only touched the ball once after his touchdown in the third quarter? At the end of that touchdown drive he had three impressive runs. One for 11 yards to the 3. The next one was the touchdown. The final one on the successful two point conversion in which he made a nice move to shed a tackler and get in the end zone. It would be nice if Mr Nelson would ask these questions but his article was all about excuses: injuries, wind, bad breaks,...wine, wine, wine. I'm tired of the pussy reporting done in the sports department. Let's tell it like it is for once, we were badly out-coached and our game plan was horrible and our play calling was clueless. Every Sioux football fan is furious and our beat writer gives us nothing but excuses. UGH!

Murry is still hurt, I would think that had something to do with limiting his carries. I think the coaching staff could have done a few things differently yesterday, but it's much easier for you or I to sit and say it after the fact. The bottom line is that the players didn't execute, Freund couldn't hit anybody in the first half. WR's dropping passes, obvious missed assignments. It was a bad game for UND, the sad thing is that even as poorly and the Sioux executed they still had a chance because GV played sloppy football as well. I would love to see these teams play again on a neutral field with all players healthy, if both teams were on and playing at full strength I think it would be a hell of a game.

Freund had a terrible day, that is very evident by the fact that Landry looked like the better QB. I also thought Landry played well, but when Freund is playing at the level he normally did this season he is a far better QB. Landry may be better down the road, but right now he isn't even though he looked like it yesterday.

I couldn't tell the difference between Landry and Freund. Both were making the same short 2 yard slant/crossing pattern throws. Landry may have led both scoring drives, but the first one should have been intercepted, that was a stupid throw to make. The second was all Dressler, 2 yard crossing pattern that Weston broke for big yards. The big problem yesterday was not qb play, or injured runninbacks. We were simply out-coached. :D

I couldn't tell the difference between Landry and Freund. Both were making the same short 2 yard slant/crossing pattern throws. Landry may have led both scoring drives, but the first one should have been intercepted, that was a stupid throw to make. The second was all Dressler, 2 yard crossing pattern that Weston broke for big yards. The big problem yesterday was not qb play, or injured runninbacks. We were simply out-coached. :D

Wow, if you think Freund played even an OK game you obviously where not watching the same game I was. Anything outside of a under route or quick slant Freund didn't even get close the WR on. Landry's first to passes were enough to show he was the better QB yesterday even though Caufield dropped both passes that hit him in the numbers,b oth of those passes where stop routes near the sidelines. Bottom line is that Freund didn't play well and because of that many plays UND consistently ran with success all year no longer had any success because we couldn't get the ball to the WR. The coaches shouldn't get the blame for example on the last sack of Landry, that's his job to see blitz and throw hot (especially since they only needed a yard for the 1st) or the oline needs to make the correct calls and change the pass pro. My thinking is that it was on Landry because UND had 5 WR's and that typically means that if certain players blitz they are unaccounted for by the oline and the QB needs to make the read and throw to the hot WR. In this case it should be the WR that was lined up nearest to the guy who blitzed.

Well, all I'm saying is that neither QB made many good throws yesterday, and neither one moved the offense.

As far as the end result on that last 4th and 1, that was a result of the the poor coaching/gameplan throughout the game. It was 4th and frickin' 1! How about a qb sneak? How about a power I formation? 4th and frickin' 1 with the season on the line, and you go with an empty backfield and a pass play with your hobbled back-up QB who has hardly seen the field all year. UND abandoned the run in the 1st quarter of this game and that is what cost them the game. I don't care who was hurt, there had to have been someone on the roster that was capable of taking a hand-off and showing GV at the very least that we may call a running play at some point in the game (perhaps on a 4th and 1 situation?). UND was very one-dimensional yesterday, and it wasn't due to injuries, the GV defense, or the weather. The coaching staff apparently decided to take the run game out of the game plan. It may very well have proven to be ineffective, but you at least have to try to run the ball.

Well, all I'm saying is that neither QB made many good throws yesterday, and neither one moved the offense.

As far as the end result on that last 4th and 1, that was a result of the the poor coaching/gameplan throughout the game. It was 4th and frickin' 1! How about a qb sneak? How about a power I formation? 4th and frickin' 1 with the season on the line, and you go with an empty backfield and a pass play with your hobbled back-up QB who has hardly seen the field all year. UND abandoned the run in the 1st quarter of this game and that is what cost them the game. I don't care who was hurt, there had to have been someone on the roster that was capable of taking a hand-off and showing GV at the very least that we may call a running play at some point in the game (perhaps on a 4th and 1 situation?). UND was very one-dimensional yesterday, and it wasn't due to injuries, the GV defense, or the weather. The coaching staff apparently decided to take the run game out of the game plan. It may very well have proven to be ineffective, but you at least have to try to run the ball.

The coaching staff basically abandoned the run for the Grand Valley State game before the game even started. I know it's beating a dead horse, but one has to wonder what a healthy Ryan Chappel would have meant yesterday. But hey, what do us fans know, I'm sure there was a perfectly good reason to keep trotting an obviously injured Chappel out the week prior against Winona St in a game that was a blowout. The GVSU loss falls on the coaching staff.

The coaching staff basically abandoned the run for the Grand Valley State game before the game even started. I know it's beating a dead horse, but one has to wonder what a healthy Ryan Chappel would have meant yesterday. But hey, what do us fans know, I'm sure there was a perfectly good reason to keep trotting an obviously injured Chappel out the week prior against Winona St in a game that was a blowout. The GVSU loss falls on the coaching staff.

I whole-heartedly disagree. Questioning playcalling in certain situations is one thing. Blaming yesterday's loss solely on the coaching staff is just plain ridiculous IMO.

I agree. The GVSU game was lost in the early 3rd quarter of the Winona game. Chappel LIMPS off at half vs. WSU (again already knowing Murray was hurt!) and that really gets dinged early in the 3rd quarter when he should have never have been out there and if Battle was the answer in the 2nd half vs. WSU, where was he yesterday??

I agree. The GVSU game was lost in the early 3rd quarter of the Winona game. Chappel LIMPS off at half vs. WSU (again already knowing Murray was hurt!) and that really gets dinged early in the 3rd quarter when he should have never have been out there and if Battle was the answer in the 2nd half vs. WSU, where was he yesterday??

Should we fire Dale and his staff? :D

Fightingsioux4life don't be bitter. It was a great rivalry however brief. Every GV fan I know has nothing but respect for your entire football program. It is without a doubt a top notch organization, with great players and coaches, who have been very successful by any standard. You have a winning tradition and great football fans. Your team NEVER gives up. You Fighting Sioux are literally fighters in other arenas as well and GV fans have felt your pain as you do battle with the NCAA over their hostile, abusive, and unfair policies. You are officially out of Dvision II now after many years at or near the top. The disappointment of today will quickly fade and you will find that you need a Division II team to pull for. Just as I imangine many Sioux Players wished the Grand Valley Players good fortune as they met at midfield after the game so too can you wish the best for a worthy adversary. On behalf of Grand Valley State University I invite Fightingsioux4life and all of the great University of North Dakota fans to adopt us as their favored Division II football program. I of course will understand your reluctance to do so until after the NCC/GLIAC slugfest ends next week. After all, you guys are nothing if not loyal, but trust DaveK on this one. There is always room for great fans like you on the GV bandwagon.

You are right, I probably should keep off the message boards for at least 24 hours after my team loses a playoff game so I don't come off as a bitter fan. I have nothing personal against GVSU or Laker fans in general. But if you have experienced what our fans have experienced over the past 20 years or so, you would understand our frustration. During the 1980's and early 90's, we took a back seat to North Dakota State (ugh!). After that, it was North Alabama. After that, it was Northern Colorado. After that, it was Northwest Missouri State. Then in 2001, we finally break the playoff glass ceiling and win a National Championship. I thought our time had arrived to build a championship legacy. And then GVSU comes along with their 4 titles in 5 years while we sit in the background sharing conference titles with other teams and coming up short in the playoffs over and over again. It isn't GVSU that most of us have a problem with, it's the fact that we haven't fulfilled all the promise that was there earlier in the decade. I will say that GVSU winning is much more tolerable than NDSU or UNO.

On Saturday, I will have to stick with Central Washington and the NCC. I don't think I can take you up on your offer this season, but next season I think I can and will. I hope our teams can meet again in the future (although I concede that is a long shot).

Obviously, Dale has a good program going. However, playing Chappel when they were up by 30 pts was pretty dumb. Basically killed any hope of a championship. Ooops.

So he was supposed to just turn over the game to the 4th string RB at halftime, a guy who gets almost zero reps in practice. I don't really think that is the way to handle things, specifically in a playoff game. If you go by that reasoning (because all the starters are important) all the #1's should have been out of the game at the half and then just hope you don't have to put everyone back in during the 4th quarter. I am sure Chappel would have been out of the game at that point if Murry and Brady were not already injured. It's football, people get hurt!

I don't think it was dumb, you have to take care of one game at a time. Could he have done things differently... sure but if he did maybe WSU gets some momentum because the offense sputters and we don't even make it to play GV.

So he was supposed to just turn over the game to the 4th string RB at halftime, a guy who gets almost zero reps in practice. I don't really think that is the way to handle things, specifically in a playoff game. If you go by that reasoning (because all the starters are important) all the #1's should have been out of the game at the half and then just hope you don't have to put everyone back in during the 4th quarter. I am sure Chappel would have been out of the game at that point if Murry and Brady were not already injured. It's football, people get hurt!

I don't think it was dumb, you have to take care of one game at a time. Could he have done things differently... sure but if he did maybe WSU gets some momentum because the offense sputters and we don't even make it to play GV.

That is faulty logic. Chappel was obviously injured at halftime and limped off the field. Most people second guessing the coaching staff is their decision to play Chappel in the second half. That doesn't apply to the rest of the starters. I think it's perfectly reasonable to question why Chappel played at all in the second half at Winona. If Winona were to get some momentum, as you say, then I think Chappel has to go back out there. But I think Winona should have had to prove that they had a pulse offensively before risking Chappel after he was already injured.

Obviously, Dale has a good program going. However, playing Chappel when they were up by 30 pts was pretty dumb.

As I recall, Chappell never played when the Sioux were ahead by 30. I believe the last time he was on the field, the score was 20-2.

That is faulty logic. Chappel was obviously injured at halftime and limped off the field. Most people second guessing the coaching staff is their decision to play Chappel in the second half. That doesn't apply to the rest of the starters. I think it's perfectly reasonable to question why Chappel played at all in the second half at Winona. If Winona were to get some momentum, as you say, then I think Chappel has to go back out there. But I think Winona should have had to prove that they had a pulse offensively before risking Chappel after he was already injured.

Good points Big Game. Murray was hurt, Brady wasn't even dressed, 4th stringer was a scout team guy. Dale even said at halftime that he did not feel like he had the game in control. So how can you blame DL for playing his star? Last year in the playoffs against Winona, Dale pulled Chappell early in the 3rd quarter after he rattled off his 5th TD when the score was 35-0 and the game was in control. Nobody complained then. Pretty similar times of the game. This topic is going nowhere. Since I am a Sioux Hockey fan too, maybe I should go to the hockey threads and start giving my opinions on hockey, which I know nothing about. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, right?

I think it's perfectly reasonable to question why Chappel played at all in the second half at Winona. If Winona were to get some momentum, as you say, then I think Chappel has to go back out there. But I think Winona should have had to prove that they had a pulse offensively before risking Chappel after he was already injured.

Duing last Wednesday's Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show, Lennon provided a very logical and reasonable explanation as to why Chappell was still in the game in the second half. If I remember correctly, the score was 20-2 the last time Chappell ran the ball and helped set up Dressler's TD run to make it 27-2. Up until that point, UND had dodged a couple bullets that could have let the Warriors back into the game. Getting another TD on the board to put the game out of reach was important.

All it would have taken was one big play, a two-point conversion and suddenly it's a 20-10 game with lots of time left and Winona having the momentum. And all the armchair quarterbacks would have been criticizing Lennon for not playing Chappell when he was still capable of running the ball, which he proved he was up until the last time he ran.