SiouxSports.com Forum

College hockey talk

luapsided

Didn't know where to put this so I thought maybe another thread talking about the year so far as far as other teams and where they stand and their the rest of the year. To start it off, whats up with michigan state, 8-1 overall? Playing all bumf*k teams or whats going on there. We man handled them! Gophers are going to turn it around I'd imagine(hopefully not like the sioux have done the past couple years).

Will the sioux get more consistant?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

worrying about rankings isnt worth anyones time. they are good discussion though. we are ranked where we should be ranked, it doesnt matter who beat who right now and that kind of stuff. its WHEN you lose and then when orthers lose to determine rankings. the rankings that matter will be out during the 2nd half of the season in the pairwise rankings and we will be at the top and earn a #1 seed in the tourney.

cc and du are good teams

scsu can score and that will keep them on the top for the most part

im not sure on the gophers. they could turn it around but sweeping msu isnt something to get gitty over and i think their fans know that. its a great step but thats about it. okposo hasnt done a damn thing. it may be the position hes playing but who knows. he finally got 2 goals last saturday after struggling like no other. like i said when stoa went down. they will miss him big time. they have and will continue to. frazee has played ok and their D is very young. not excuses, just what they are rolling with right now. i see them seriously battling for spots 4-6 for the final 5.

i cant wait to play new hampshire. they are very solid but hopefully we can woop them up like they did when CC went out there

nothing beats college hockey and especially WCHA hockey!!

the only thing that sticks out for the sioux is the lack of scoring in some games but hell, if you cant score a goal or 1 you arent gona win anyways. so when we lose, we lose :lol: i love our D core and phil has obviously played great. our schedule has been damn tough. first the non conference has been a nice one and that mich state whooping may look great in the end if they continue their roll. you dont control your wcha schedule but we have started off vs all good teams so far. cant wait til next week to play duluth!! i hope we can kick ass friday and work for our first sweep of the season!!

i see the sioux, cc, du and scsu (1 and done, hopefully not :angry: ) making the ncaa tourney this season with umtc on the bubble. the only thing which sucks is du or cc would get to be home for their regional if we ended up 1 in the west if you catch my drift. thats how it goes though. is cc or du that host in the springs? sometimes its wierd and teams are hosts in others arenas and so forth. i would love to play miami and notre dame. would love it and im sure we will see mich 1st rd again :p

I think Michigan, Mich St, Miami, and Notre Dame are all overrated due to their weak SOS and due to the rest of the CCHA being weak as well. All four of those teams will make the NCAA's, but won't get very far IMO due to them not playing strong teams consistently enough.

From out east, I think UNH will be the strong team from HEA this year. BC and Maine look to have some faults, but I'm sure BC will be there at the end of the year (just like every year). BU is just horrible this year for some reason. We should get a good idea of how we stand against UNH over Xmas. :lol:

From the WCHA, I see UND, CC, DU, and UMN being the top teams, and hopefully all making the NCAA tourney. While UW, SCSU, and MTU all have shown signs of making the leap to the top 4, I think all 3 will slowly drop in the standings as the season progresses. Although they will have a good fight for that final home playoff spot, with maybe UMD making some noise as well.

i see the sioux, cc, du and scsu (1 and done, hopefully not :lol: ) making the ncaa tourney this season with umtc on the bubble. the only thing which sucks is du or cc would get to be home for their regional if we ended up 1 in the west if you catch my drift. thats how it goes though. is cc or du that host in the springs? sometimes its wierd and teams are hosts in others arenas and so forth. i would love to play miami and notre dame. would love it and im sure we will see mich 1st rd again :angry:

Here are this year's regional sites

Any regional this year will be a tough one, assuming that home teams are at any. If we ended up in Colorado, I'm sure there'd either be DU or CC there. If we ended up in Wisconsin, i'm sure Wisconsin will be there. It's going to be tough.

That is assuming that those teams will make it into the tourney.

Any regional this year will be a tough one, assuming that home teams are at any. If we ended up in Colorado, I'm sure there'd either be DU or CC there. If we ended up in Wisconsin, i'm sure Wisconsin will be there. It's going to be tough.

That is assuming that those teams will make it into the tourney.

it depends on who is the host in colorado springs. if its cc which i think it is they are in their regional no matter what if they make the tourney. if its denver that doesnt apply and they can be sent anywhere. the last few years we have been west, stayed at home and been out east and it ended up in the same result - another frozen 4. i wouldnt mind make it a all colorado experience though going through springs to get to denver!!

tough memories from that last regional in cc......................dam that was tough to drive back to az after that pepper fest with no goals

worrying about rankings isnt worth anyones time. they are good discussion though. we are ranked where we should be ranked, it doesnt matter who beat who right now and that kind of stuff. its WHEN you lose and then when orthers lose to determine rankings. the rankings that matter will be out during the 2nd half of the season in the pairwise rankings and we will be at the top and earn a #1 seed in the tourney.

cc and du are good teams

scsu can score and that will keep them on the top for the most part

im not sure on the gophers. they could turn it around but sweeping msu isnt something to get gitty over and i think their fans know that. its a great step but thats about it. okposo hasnt done a damn thing. it may be the position hes playing but who knows. he finally got 2 goals last saturday after struggling like no other. like i said when stoa went down. they will miss him big time. they have and will continue to. frazee has played ok and their D is very young. not excuses, just what they are rolling with right now. i see them seriously battling for spots 4-6 for the final 5.

i cant wait to play new hampshire. they are very solid but hopefully we can woop them up like they did when CC went out there

nothing beats college hockey and especially WCHA hockey!!

the only thing that sticks out for the sioux is the lack of scoring in some games but hell, if you cant score a goal or 1 you arent gona win anyways. so when we lose, we lose :angry: i love our D core and phil has obviously played great. our schedule has been damn tough. first the non conference has been a nice one and that mich state whooping may look great in the end if they continue their roll. you dont control your wcha schedule but we have started off vs all good teams so far. cant wait til next week to play duluth!! i hope we can kick ass friday and work for our first sweep of the season!!

i see the sioux, cc, du and scsu (1 and done, hopefully not :p ) making the ncaa tourney this season with umtc on the bubble. the only thing which sucks is du or cc would get to be home for their regional if we ended up 1 in the west if you catch my drift. thats how it goes though. is cc or du that host in the springs? sometimes its wierd and teams are hosts in others arenas and so forth. i would love to play miami and notre dame. would love it and im sure we will see mich 1st rd again ;)

Well I definitely wasn't thinking about poll rankings whatsoever but just the fact of the standings throughout the country right now.

CC split with NH a couple weeks ago which sorta surprised me. In fact I think NH wooped them the first game didn't they? I dont think Miami has played a WCHA team yet correct. I would like to see how they compare to even one of our weaker WCHA teams, like the goofs :lol: . However it was their first games of the year, but neither BC or Michigan looked impressive during the tourney in the cities. Notre Dame, in my opinion, isn't worth talkin about. I guess my overall question is how strong the WCHA is compared to the rest of the country. And yes, I agree that DU is a good team and it will be a fun series to watch!

I have an of topic question, but don't really know where else to put it. You guys are more knowledgable than me, so I'll ask here.

Green Bay has a USHL team called the Green Bay Gamblers, about an hour away. I've never been to a game, so I'm thinking it might be worth checking out. When checking out their roster, it seems most of the players are out of high school.

Here's the question...where does this team, or the USHL in general, fall in the hockey hierarchy? Are these guys as good as the Sioux? Are they not good enough for a Sioux scholarship? Do players go to the USHL for a few years to improve their game, hoping to get a college scholarship?

Just curious, and wondering if they are worth watching. I'm sure someone wil drop the Google bomb on me, or Wikipedia, but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks

I have an of topic question, but don't really know where else to put it. You guys are more knowledgable than me, so I'll ask here.

Green Bay has a USHL team called the Green Bay Gamblers, about an hour away. I've never been to a game, so I'm thinking it might be worth checking out. When checking out their roster, it seems most of the players are out of high school.

Here's the question...where does this team, or the USHL in general, fall in the hockey hierarchy? Are these guys as good as the Sioux? Are they not good enough for a Sioux scholarship? Do players go to the USHL for a few years to improve their game, hoping to get a college scholarship?

Just curious, and wondering if they are worth watching. I'm sure someone wil drop the Google bomb on me, or Wikipedia, but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks

a good amount of wcha players and ncaa players go through the USHL on their way to college. some wont but many do

we have 5 or 6 incomers on the next few years in the USHL right now actually. its usually the USHL or BCHL if you go that route to prepare for college

USHL COMMITMENTS

11/12/07 ushl sioux recruit update

gregoire (f) - lincoln - 13 gp, 7-8=15 - tied for 7th in league - leads team

fink (f) - waterloo - 6 gp, 0-2=2 - he was hurt in the beginning and now seems to be getting healthy

blood (d) - des moines - 9 gp, 0-5=5 - 15 pim

lamoureux (f) - tri city - 12 gp, 0-5=5 - 3rd on team with 33 pim. his older bro pierre has 70 pim, hes not college eligable

cichy (f) - tri city - 11 gp, 2-6=8 - 2nd on team in scoring

Bruneteau (f) - Indiana - 11 gp, 1-6=7

I see, so most kids don't go to college and try to be a walk-on, but rather improve and hope for the scholarship. I think to some degree, a lot of kids could give a rats ass about the degree, but rather take the best career path to the NHL (Grieco maybe?).

So I can expect the Gamblers game won't be as fast paced as UND-UW game. Still a good time I'm sure.

I see, so most kids don't go to college and try to be a walk-on, but rather improve and hope for the scholarship. I think to some degree, a lot of kids could give a rats ass about the degree, but rather take the best career path to the NHL (Grieco maybe?).

So I can expect the Gamblers game won't be as fast paced as UND-UW game. Still a good time I'm sure.

its a feeding system for college. like the BCHL. you either go straight from high school or prep school like toews ect.....or leave highschool your junior or senior year and play in the USHL to improve your game playing vs other college caliber players and then go to college. there are hardly any walk ons. maybe a goalie or player but they were probably told to walk on f you catch my drift.

the other option is major juniors OHL, WHL or QMJHL. no schooling and pure hockey. bigger schedule. crosby, peter mueller ect....

theres always been a rift between the ushl/bchl vs ohl/whl ect.....toews chose college which probably rubbed some people the wrong way but oh well.

bob, if you go see a game try to make one when green bay plays a team that has a sioux recruit or 2 on it!!

I think UND, CC, and DU are tourney teams. All have the goaltending and the high end forwards to make it. UMN, UW, SCSU, Tech, and UMD battle for one or two other NCAA spots, all of these teams have big holes in their game right now. However they can all win on a given night vs. anyone in the country. The change in RPI formula is again likely to keep a fifth WCHA team out of the tourney, which is a shame in my opinion.

Well I definitely wasn't thinking about poll rankings whatsoever but just the fact of the standings throughout the country right now.

CC split with NH a couple weeks ago which sorta surprised me. In fact I think NH wooped them the first game didn't they? I dont think Miami has played a WCHA team yet correct. I would like to see how they compare to even one of our weaker WCHA teams, like the goofs :lol: . However it was their first games of the year, but neither BC or Michigan looked impressive during the tourney in the cities. Notre Dame, in my opinion, isn't worth talkin about. I guess my overall question is how strong the WCHA is compared to the rest of the country. And yes, I agree that DU is a good team and it will be a fun series to watch!

UNH swept CC a couple of weeks ago at UNH. They didn't split.

I wish we had USHL team - I'd go, especially if they could somehow be the weekends UND was out of town

Fargo is getting a Team http://www.ushl.com/news/story.cfm?id=467 & I'll make it to some games down there

Yeah, I wonder if they could play at the Ralph, like alternate weekends the Sioux were out of town.

What would the name be? The Grand Forks Dikers? :lol:

Yeah, I wonder if they could play at the Ralph, like alternate weekends the Sioux were out of town.

What would the name be? The Grand Forks Dikers? :lol:

i dont think there is a ushl tam in a d-1 city.wouldnt work. thats why they are in cities that dont have college hockey. they play on weekends ad would be too close to home recruiting wise

its a feeding system for college. like the BCHL. you either go straight from high school or prep school like toews ect.....or leave highschool your junior or senior year and play in the USHL to improve your game playing vs other college caliber players and then go to college. there are hardly any walk ons. maybe a goalie or player but they were probably told to walk on f you catch my drift.

the other option is major juniors OHL, WHL or QMJHL. no schooling and pure hockey. bigger schedule. crosby, peter mueller ect....

theres always been a rift between the ushl/bchl vs ohl/whl ect.....toews chose college which probably rubbed some people the wrong way but oh well.

bob, if you go see a game try to make one when green bay plays a team that has a sioux recruit or 2 on it!!

They are at home vs. the Sioux Falls Stampede...no UND recruits, but looks like a couple for the goofs, 1 for UMD,1 for CC, one for SCSU, and a phenom for Bowling Green (?)(sarcasm)

Not sure where else to put this, so I'll just post it here.

Brett Motherwell, a soph dman from BC, left school and signed with the AHL.

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-hockey/i...hoolForAHL.html

He has been out of the lineup for violating team rules since the 2nd game of the season. It's a big loss for BC, as he was probably their best dman offensively.