SiouxSports.com Forum

Playoffs

SiouxCrew11

Obviously the Fighting Sioux will be in the playoffs this year (looking to finish the season with only one loss) However, I dont' see them climbing any higher than 2nd in the Midwest because UNO is going to go undefeated.

They will finish with one loss and probably 3rd in the region.

Will UND get a home playoff game? Possibly just a first round home game? Or will they not get one at all because of the new settlement on the nicknamme/logo.

Anybody know?

Obviously the Fighting Sioux will be in the playoffs this year (looking to finish the season with only one loss) However, I dont' see them climbing any higher than 2nd in the Midwest because UNO is going to go undefeated.

They will finish with one loss and probably 3rd in the region.

Will UND get a home playoff game? Possibly just a first round home game? Or will they not get one at all because of the new settlement on the nicknamme/logo.

Anybody know?

There are still a lot of "what if's" involved here, but here's my somewhat educated guess:

1. If UND wins, they will not be worse than a 3 seed (probably not higher either, barring a huge upset of Grand Valley);

2. If UND loses, and UNO wins at CWU, UND would likely not fall lower than 4, which would still mean a home playoff game;

3. If UND loses and CWU wins, UND could fall as low as a 5 seed assuming an Ashland win. Ashland would be 8-1, but would have no really good wins. I suspect UND's strength of schedule would still be higher than Ashland's, but there may be some political pressure not to have a one-loss GLIAC team seeded below three NCC teams.

I don't think the nickname/logo will be an issue.

I fear that may happen. I shudder to think what the attendance for that one would be. ???

With UND as a 4th seed (due to either a CWU win over UNO or a UND loss to USD), the likely opponent would be Ashland. The attendance for that wouldn't be too great either. :huh:

With UNO playing at CWU, CWU seems to have a reasonable shot at an upset.

With UND as a 4th seed (due to either a CWU win over UNO or a UND loss to USD), the likely opponent would be Ashland. The attendance for that wouldn't be too great either. :huh:

With UNO playing at CWU, CWU seems to have a reasonable shot at an upset.

Agreed. The interesting thing is that if both UND and CWU were to win next week, it would result in a three-way tie for the NCC title, and it would also essentially take head-to-head out of the equation when determining playoff seeds for the three teams since the three would all be 1-1 against the other two. However, I suspect the strength of schedule would still result in the seedings being 1. GVSU; 2. UNO; 3. UND; and 4. CWU.

It looks like UND is for certain the 3 seed, which means we'll likely be playing either Ashland, Winona or possibly Wayne State. My guess is Winona. Again. :angry:

EDIT: Winona is up on Wayne 38-20 in the third quarter, so now it's probably a matter of whether Winona or Ashland gets the 6 seed.

It looks like UND is for certain the 3 seed, which means we'll likely be playing either Ashland, Winona or possibly Wayne State. My guess is Winona. Again. :angry:

EDIT: Winona is up on Wayne 38-20 in the third quarter, so now it's probably a matter of whether Winona or Ashland gets the 6 seed.

Ashland thumped Gannon 62-7.

Ashland thumped Gannon 62-7.

Whooping Gannon is not an accomplishment in the least. When I went to Michigan Tech for hockey, I went to the Tech-Gannon game. Tech is an average team and absolutely destroyed Gannon. Gannon failed at the fundamentals of football. The QB couldn't handle snaps. When he did handle snaps, the QB couldn't hold onto the ball. When he did manage to hold onto the ball, the QB couldn't manage a clean hand off with the RB. When the QB did manage a clean hand off with the RB, the RB couldn't hold onto the ball. Also the punter couldn't handle snaps nor punt worth snot. The kicker couldn't kick either. They are a bad, bad, bad team. They are like Humboldt State only they are allergic to the football.

On the plus side, if Ashland plays CWU it will show that the NCC's number three team is clearly better than the GLIAC's number two team.

I'd much rather see Ashland, just because it would likely be a high-scoring affair, and it would be good to show that the NCC's number 2 team is clearly better than the number 2 team from the GLIAC.

Agree 100 percent. Plus it would be nice to see a different team in the playoffs.

At least it won't be the Saturday after Thanksgiving, that always seems to be an attendance killer.

No surprises there -- the winner of the Winona @ UND game is treated with a trip to Grand Valley St. I'd almost rather have a #5 seed and get another shot at UNO earlier.

Wouldn't a win at GVSU, to even the all-time series, be a nice way to leave D-II? Of course, I get ahead of myself, as Winona undoubtedly thinks a win at the Alerus would be a nice way to send us out of D-II...

this looks like all of them....

2007 Playoff Parings

Northeast Region

1. California

2. Shepherd

3. West Chester

4. S. Connecticut

5. Bryant

6. IUP

Southeast Region

1. Valdosta State

2. North Alabama