SiouxSports.com Forum

Welcome to the Fighting Sioux

siouxnami

I guess this is better than most the crap that gets its own thread around here... :glare:

Here is what Chris had to say after the Select 17s:

Danny Mattson: Tremendously talented and still really young. I was once again impressed with his speed, and he has good finishing ability. He

Apparently, the recruiting landscape has changed.

Danny Mattson is another recent signing from the Twin Cities High Schools (Gleeson/Fienaghe/Fink), with Kristo playing one year at EP before heading to NTDP.

UND has always been known to recruit heavily in Western Canada, Manitoba and NW Minn (I'm not including the USHL because players are now usually commiting before the go to the USHL). In recent years the recruiting "base" has expanded to include SSM and NTDP.

With more and more recruits coming from the TC (high end players, not role players) this puts the squeeze on the U of M. Usually they get whatever metro kid they want by default. The Don will have to work harder to keep metro players in town, which is good for us.

Danny Mattson is another recent signing from the Twin Cities High Schools (Gleeson/Fienaghe/Fink), with Kristo playing one year at EP before heading to NTDP.

UND has always been known to recruit heavily in Western Canada, Manitoba and NW Minn (I'm not including the USHL because players are now usually commiting before the go to the USHL). In recent years the recruiting "base" has expanded to include SSM and NTDP.

With more and more recruits coming from the TC (high end players, not role players) this puts the squeeze on the U of M. Usually they get whatever metro kid they want by default. The Don will have to work harder to keep metro players in town, which is good for us.

Yeah and he's still tired from walking back from all those road trips last year. :glare:

Remember that out of this list of players Lucia offered Mattson and probably would've offered Fink. Kristo was never really a factor since he committed so early and wasn't really looking at any other schools. Because of this, I wouldn't exacly say that Lucia needs to work harder on keeping kids in the cities. Also remember that for 2009 they still got Ness, Schroeder, and Youso, which are all players that we would've given offers to.

Remember that out of this list of players Lucia offered Mattson and probably would've offered Fink. Kristo was never really a factor since he committed so early and wasn't really looking at any other schools. Because of this, I wouldn't exacly say that Lucia needs to work harder on keeping kids in the cities. Also remember that for 2009 they still got Ness, Schroeder, and Youso, which are all players that we would've given offers to.

very true, the difference is the sioux havent hit the cities area like this in a while with this success excluding shattuck which had many cities players but is its own animal really....as a good number of the shattuck kids being from the cities

schroeder is 2008

edit: also, dont give lucia any credit... :glare:

Dont know much about Mattson, but sounds like a great catch.

Way to go sioux recruiting staff!

Also, not to be too thick....but the new logo on Siouxsports.com. Really not a big fan of it.

I hope to see the ole sioux logo back.

Just my opinion.

I agree with that...the new logo kind of bites...

Dont know much about Mattson, but sounds like a great catch.

Way to go sioux recruiting staff!

Also, not to be too thick....but the new logo on Siouxsports.com. Really not a big fan of it.

I hope to see the ole sioux logo back.

Just my opinion.

if i had to guess, i would assume that they forced to stop using it because of trademark issues. just my guess.

The good news for the Sioux is that high end HS players (Mr. Hockey candidates) from the TC are now considering/choosing ND.

I think there have been several factors that have opened up this recruiting area for ND. The cliche from Gopher lovers that "UND only recruits Canadians" is officially dead - the success of Bo, ZPar, Stafford, Smaby, etc. has helped in that regard. The new facilities are obviously a factor in recruiting. Coach Eades has also been more involved with USA summer camps, which gives the high end TC kids early exposure to UND. Recent success at the Final 5 (which is another reason to keep it in St. Paul) and 3 F4 in a row hasn't hurt either.

I think there have been several factors that have opened up this recruiting area for ND. The cliche from Gopher lovers that "UND only recruits Canadians" is officially dead - the success of Bo, ZPar, Stafford, Smaby, etc. has helped in that regard. The new facilities are obviously a factor in recruiting. Coach Eades has also been more involved with USA summer camps, which gives the high end TC kids early exposure to UND. Recent success at the Final 5 (which is another reason to keep it in St. Paul) and 3 F4 in a row hasn't hurt either.

Not only all the above, but kids are smart enough to sift through coaching staffs as well. If all of the above are in play, but Hakstol and his assistants had a poor coaching reputation, none of it would matter.

If Hakstol failed to recruit top talent, we'd put the blame on him, not any of these other issues. Therefore, I think it's fair to give him his share of the credit for hiring a great staff, running a great program, recruiting players who can play together, and apparently creating and maintaining at attractive atmosphere for recruits. And, very importantly, success on the ice.

The good news for the Sioux is that high end HS players (Mr. Hockey candidates) from the TC are now considering/choosing ND.

we have had many great cities kids, they all just came from shattuck instead of cities high schools so this is a bit different and they arent looked at being cities kids in a way. great job getting these kids to verbal!!

we have had many great cities kids, they all just came from shattuck instead of cities high schools so this is a bit different and they arent looked at being cities kids in a way. great job getting these kids to verbal!!

Could you parse this sentence for me? I'm not sure what you are saying.

Could you parse this sentence for me? I'm not sure what you are saying.

saying we have had a good amount of minneapolis kids in the last 4-5 years but they all came from shattuck instead of actual minneapolis high schools so they were not looked at the kids we are plucking out of the cities in a way. like fink,gleason,mattson,kristo ect....

the likes of ben blood would also be in there from plymouth but playing at shattuck

saying we have had a good amount of minneapolis kids in the last 4-5 years but they all came from shattuck instead of actual minneapolis high schools so they were not looked at the kids we are plucking out of the cities in a way. like fink,gleason,mattson,kristo ect....

the likes of ben blood would also be in there from plymouth but playing at shattuck

Still not really proper usage of the English grammatical system. :glare:

Shouldn't it be something like:

We've had a good amount of kids from the Twin Cities area in the last 4-5 years. However, most may have been overlooked being as that they spent much of their high school career at Shattuck unlike Fink, Gleason, Mattson, or Fienhage.

Not sure if Kristo would count seeing as that he's played the past few seasons in Ann Arbor. I'm not sure if he left for the NTDP after his freshman or sophomore year in high school.