SiouxSports.com Forum

2007 NHL Entry Draft

USA Hockey

more teams will do it i believe, the wcha is so top heavy its crazy.......and by top heavy in draft picks thats only 3 of the 10 teams...wow

I think your right with the 12 teams. Also, WCHA is still the best league. I would say Minnesota, UND are just as good as any in the CCHA.

I mean look at all the 1st round and high end draft picks Michigan has had lately and they still haven't won anymore championships than the rest of the teams.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from brad........this should be it unless im unaware of another sioux recruit being eligible......all go to 6 different NHL teams

i thought MALONE slipped a round and a half but not a huge suprise, gregoire went right where i thought he could, frattin and blood seemed to be right on when looking at the draft player rankings, eidsness went earlier than i thought for sure, thought 6th maybe, 7th for sure and had no idea bruneteau was even eligible so thats great for him. 6 for 6. good to see these guys get drafted, isnt malone the only one of these 6 coming in this season unless there is a last minute change of course??

Jason Gregoire was selected by the New York Islanders in the third round, 76 overall...

Matt Frattin was selected by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the fourth round, 99 overall...

Brad Malone was selected by the Colorado Avalanche in the fourth round, 105 overall...

Brett Bruneteau was selected by the Washington Capitals in the fourth round, 108 overall...

Ben Blood was selected by the Ottawa Senators in the fourth round, 120 overall...

Brad Eidsness was selected by the Buffalo Sabres in the fifth round, 139 overall.

Here are my impressions on our picks in summary:

1. Surprised Malone went so late. I thought he'd be in the second or early third round.

2. Gregoire, Blood, and Frattin went about where I thought they would.

3. Eidsness went nearly a round earlier than I thought he would.

4. Bruneteau's drafting was a shock to me. IIRC, he was ranked by ISS preseason but didn't his stock fall off the map? Next thing you know, he gets drafted in the 4th round!

Still surprised with Riley Nash being drafted in the first round.

Here are my impressions on our picks in summary:

1. Surprised Malone went so late. I thought he'd be in the second or early third round.

2. Gregoire, Blood, and Frattin went about where I thought they would.

3. Eidsness went nearly a round earlier than I thought he would.

4. Bruneteau's drafting was a shock to me. IIRC, he was ranked by ISS preseason but didn't his stock fall off the map? Next thing you know, he gets drafted in the 4th round!

Still surprised with Riley Nash being drafted in the first round.

5 years from now we are going to see how disappointing it was to let Nash slip through our fingers, although he went to Cornell for the right reason so I don't blame him.

5 years from now we are going to see how disappointing it was to let Nash slip through our fingers, although he went to Cornell for the right reason so I don't blame him.

he will be at cornell no more that 2 years, i dont even consider him a loss, different when it comes to family

he will be at cornell no more that 2 years, i dont even consider him a loss, different when it comes to family

Oh, I know he won't be there more than 2 years, unless something crazy happens, but after 1 or 2 years of Cornell then 2 or 3 years of NHL, you'll see.

Oh, I know he won't be there more than 2 years, unless something crazy happens, but after 1 or 2 years of Cornell then 2 or 3 years of NHL, you'll see.

think you missed my point, not sure what you mean by you'll see as i never said he wasnt good?? i think he will be a very good player as well and i also think he was drafted a bit to high as they could have gotten him a little later in the draft. the sioux wont miss not having him as you move onto the next recruit if they choose a different school in rileys case. when family is invloved that trumps everything, he better hope they dont face te sioux in the ncaa tourney or it will be fishing time for riley and his bro :ohmy:;)

think you missed my point, not sure what you mean by you'll see as i never said he wasnt good?? i think he will be a very good player as well and i also think he was drafted a bit to high as they could have gotten him a little later in the draft. the sioux wont miss not having him as you move onto the next recruit if they choose a different school in rileys case. when family is invloved that trumps everything, he better hope they dont face te sioux in the ncaa tourney or it will be fishing time for riley and his bro :ohmy:;)

I think we have enough good recruits coming too. Like my dad always can't win them all and you can't recruit them all...

Nash is a loss and the coaches would agree with me on it. It's obvious the Edmonton Oilers saw something in him when they took him in the first round. Sometimes I don't understand the whole have to stay four years argument with some of the people on this board. Are you guys going to tell me Parise, Toews, Zajac, Stafford, Smaby, Bochenski, Greene were all losses because they didn't stay four years, those guys have anchored our teams the last five years. If you want to watch a team of four year guys, go watch St. Cloud or Mankato, the realty is is the best teams in the WCHA are the one's that are taking the best talent.

Nash is a loss and the coaches would agree with me on it. It's obvious the Edmonton Oilers saw something in him when they took him in the first round. Sometimes I don't understand the whole have to stay four years argument with some of the people on this board. Are you guys going to tell me Parise, Toews, Zajac, Stafford, Smaby, Bochenski, Greene were all losses because they didn't stay four years, those guys have anchored our teams the last five years. If you want to watch a team of four year guys, go watch St. Cloud or Mankato, the realty is is the best teams in the WCHA are the one's that are taking the best talent.

we didnt get riley,we move on to the next recruit, hes a damn good player but he wont be in green and white...............

i could care less if a player is at und for 1 year or 4 years as long as he busts his ass and they usualy all do in the green and white. also you need the mix of 4 year players with the 1st/2nd round draft picks as well to have a soild veteran base year after year. the goal is to win a NCAA title. we have been damn close the last 3 years and have been to the frozen 4 what 5 out of the last 8 years with 1 title. i would throw the last 3 frozen 4 years out if we could have 1 title from those 3 years for sure. im not saying it doesnt mean anyhting to get to the frozen 4 by any means, just as many sioux fans agree on, the goal for the sioux every year is to win the NC$$ title, we are damn lucky as a fanbase to have a team that looks at that for a goal. there are probably only 5-8 teams every season that have that same goal realistically so thats friken sweet.................this years draft class having 6 players drafted is a great thing, and since they were not drafted very high it also may pan out great for the sioux..................

we didnt get riley,we move on to the next recruit, hes a damn good player but he wont be in green and white...............

i could care less if a player is at und for 1 year or 4 years as long as he busts his ass and they usualy all do in the green and white. also you need the mix of 4 year players with the 1st/2nd round draft picks as well to have a soild veteran base year after year. the goal is to win a NCAA title. we have been damn close the last 3 years and have been to the frozen 4 what 5 out of the last 8 years with 1 title. i would throw the last 3 frozen 4 years out if we could have 1 title from those 3 years for sure. im not saying it doesnt mean anyhting to get to the frozen 4 by any means, just as many sioux fans agree on, the goal for the sioux every year is to win the NC$$ title, we are damn lucky as a fanbase to have a team that looks at that for a goal. there are probably only 5-8 teams every season that have that same goal realistically so thats friken sweet.................this years draft class having 6 players drafted is a great thing, and since they were not drafted very high it also may pan out great for the sioux..................

I completely agree, I'm not saying that we should recruit all top talent, we need those four year players for veteran leadership, you're right there needs to be a mix. What I was saying is in response to some of the comments earlier that it is a loss to not get a top end talented player that we held out a scholarship for.

I would be very interested to here what a certain posters husband has to say about Blood. Did she know the Sens where interested in him?

That "certain poster" is still on her way home from the Draft. I'm sure she'll comment if she can.

I would be very interested to here what a certain posters husband has to say about Blood. Did she know the Sens where interested in him?

Since we are talking in circles, I would be interested as well...

I think the Islanders are getting a steal with Gregoire in the 3rd round. Something tells me he's going to be the real deal.

I agree. Gregoire was selected in the 3rd due to the limited amount of viewing time. If he had been able to play an entire season, his draft stock would have risen considerably.

I was hoping that he was selected by Chicago. That would have been fun.

hf draft review

we had 6 players drafted not 5 :ohmy:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9789

I actually mailed a correction to DJ Powers on that. ;)

He responded and said he'd forgotten the sixth. He mentioned all of the ranked Sioux recruits were drafted. Bruneteau wasn't ranked at the time of the draft (he was preseason IIRC) so Bruneteau was the missing tally.

Interesting list of NHL players that weren't drafted:

G Ed Belfour

G Curtis Joseph

D Dan Boyle

D Brian Rafalski

D Tom Preissing

D Brett Lebda

LW Chris Kunitz

LW Jason Blake

C John Madden

C Andy McDonald

RW Martin St. Louis

RW Dustin Penner

Article can be found on SI.com

Maybe the Sioux got one more...

McPherson drafted by Devils

He said he wants to “continue to develop, maybe get a few more points, commit somewhere for college the year after.’’

The University of North Dakota, Ohio State and Colorado College rank as McPherson’s top choices. He’s grateful to the Caps for giving him the opportunity to play more competitive hockey.

“I wouldn’t have any of the exposure if I stayed down here and played the same here I did the year before,’’ McPherson said.