SiouxSports.com Forum

The lawsuit and DI

Bison101

This message is not smack and is not intended to start a smack thread. The Forum reported this morning that the UND Foundation has used all of its original doantions and is still about $150,000 short in its debt to the Utah Law firm. I know that you have donors waiting in the wings to cover this next round of bills. However, around $350,000 has been billed and this has yet to go to trial. When it is all said and done would we could be looking at a million dollar tab here. The move to DI is expensive, but isn't the fight to keep the "Sioux" name more important? I know that UND alumns have deep pockets, but do you think there is a chance that the Sioux will either push DI back one more year or perhaps not fully fund football until the lawsuit is settled.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are supposed to announce the plans for financing the move to DI later today. From everything I have heard, the money being donated to finance the lawsuit is separate from any money being donated for the regular athletic program or its move to DI. Besides, it would be hard to turn back on the move up since the NCC will no longer exist. We will find out today, but I would be very surprised if the move were delayed or if they slowed funding for football.

im sure auntie betty will come up with some cash cuz i no uncle ralph would.

Not trying to pick on proudsioux here but I hope that Sioux fans aren't operating under the assumption that the Englestad family will take care of everything when making a decision on whether or not, and how much, to contribute. The individuals in charge of the Engelstad trust have no ties to UND other than through their association with Ralph and the REA. If they get the feeling that they are being relied on too heavily, they may reconsider their support.

It is unrealistic to assume that the cost of the lawsuit won't affect fundraising for the move to DI. The big benefactors are not money trees. Everyone is going to have to dig deep to make sure both of these important tasks are adequately funded.

It is unrealistic to assume that the cost of the lawsuit won't affect fundraising for the move to DI.

But isn't it also unrealistic to assume that changing the name won't affect fundraising for the move to DI?

What's the cost of changing everything (from the swimming coach's business cards to the turf at The Al and everything at REA) compared to $315,000?

$315,000 is a bargain.

The turf at The Al would be cheap, it is painted (or at least that is what I hear), everything else would be very expensive. Now here is to hope they will get some FieldTurf soon.

Back on topic, it will be interesting on how the $$ issues work themselves out. I just hope we don't put all of our eggs in one basket (ala hoping a victory will pay off associated costs).

At first glance, someone reading the following question will wonder how it relates to the lawsuit, but bear with me:

In The Forum this morning there is an article about Girls Gone Wild founder Joe Francis. Francis is being sued by some women he put in his videos. "Lawyers for the women told US district judge Richard Smoak that Francis became enraged and verbally abusive during settlement talks. The judge ordered Francis to settle the case or go to jail. Negotiations continued with a mediator, but talks broke down last week and Smoak issued a contempt order." Can a judge simply order a settlement, and then hold one party in contempt if a settlement isn't reached (no matter how one party spoke to the other)? How can that hold up on appeal?

I know the judge in the UND lawsuit has urged a settlement be reached, can he hold either party in contempt if one isn't reached? Or would that take UND or the NCAA to speak nastily to the other party? Or should such an order exist at all?

Why is it that so many people forget about the cost of changing the name and logo, a cost that will surely be covered by taxpayers?

I have an idea where to send the bill. First person I would send a bill to is Russell Means and the Pro name change crowd.

I would also send on to the columnist Nick Coleman the Red Star and Sickle a bill as well. Kind of a miny fund raiser.

This is the problem with the mis-information that is floating around. Now this guy seems to think that the law suit is short changing the school.

GRAND FORKS - An increasing odor is emanating from the Sioux logo suit against the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

Herald staff writer Joseph Marks reported that $315,000 has been billed by Salt Lake City attorneys engaged by the side supporting the suit (

Again, why is what people voluntarily choose to donate their money to any of your business?

To any NDSU fan who wants to complain about UND's privately-funded litigation against the NCAA, I have two words--George Ellis. Who's paying for that litigation again? :D

So, any alum who doesn't like the idea of the lawsuit is supposed to just grit our teeth and keep quiet? I sat through enough poly sci classes to fully appreciate free speech. And no, your free speech wanting the Sioux logo doesn't top the free speech of the Indian Nations who are offended by it. Sorry.

So, any alum who doesn't like the idea of the lawsuit is supposed to just grit our teeth and keep quiet? I sat through enough poly sci classes to fully appreciate free speech. And no, your free speech wanting the Sioux logo doesn't top the free speech of the Indian Nations who are offended by it. Sorry.

I think you know better than that. What bugs me though, is your insistence that the money being donated to fight this battle could be "better used elsewhere". How do you even know this $ would be going to UND? I'll bet a lot of it, even the majority of it, is only being given because the giver wants to fight this battle. They already give whatever sum they give to UND for other purposes.

You don't have to agree with the fight if you don't want to, but to continue to complain about the money being spent just doesn't ring with me.

So, any alum who doesn't like the idea of the lawsuit is supposed to just grit our teeth and keep quiet?

Speak your mind, voice your opinion on the name and logo and the lawsuit. But don't tell me or any other donor how or where to spend our money. You have no idea how much money I give to the school, to other charities or to the lawsuit fund.

The problem I and others have with your posts is you're telling us what we should be doing with our money, that is very presumptuous of you. You will be called on it time and time again if you persist. What we do with our money has nothing to do with free speech. Dictating to me where my money should be donated/spent is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!

Given that knowledge and background (that both have the right to speech), which is more dangerous:

- allowing one group to speak (using the same word the "harmed" use) as they have for many years, or

- allowing another group to shut the first group up.

Tell me again: Which group is trying to take speech away from the other?