SiouxSports.com Forum

Fan Appreciation Night

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah

Overall, a very impressive group of young men. Engaging, terrific with the kids, funny, and well-spoken (not that I'm implying anything against Obama). Hak was signing as well and had alittle conversaion with him while we were held up in line. You can tell that he has leadership qualities like few coaches out there by the way he carries himself and they way he speak. Very impressed.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great night!! First off, I want to say what a classy group of kids. We should all be proud to be Sioux fans. Not only was I able to get Duncan's game worn BCHL Salmon Arm jersey signed by the entire DOT line *SWEET* but my nine month old daughter had her picture taken with all of them, and with our family favorite Rylan Kaip! I don't think I will stop smiling all summer. My wife already informed me that I cannot have those pictures blown up to poster size and displayed at the church at my daughters wedding some day :D GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!!

My husband was "standing by" waiting for me and the kids to go through the lines. He was near Toews, and he said that if Jonny had $1 from everyone who asked him if he was coming back, he wouldnt have to go to the NHL. He'd have made his money right here tonight. :D

Every time I had an occasion to meet and greet a potential early-departure (Smaby, Greene, Bo, Parise, Stafford, etc.), I thanked them for their time (both at the event and their years at UND), and told them that I hoped they made the decision that was best for them. Inevitably, I got the "double take", and a sincere "thank you", as if noone had expressed those wishes to them before. Just food for thought.

Sioux18

Every time I had an occasion to meet and greet a potential early-departure (Smaby, Greene, Bo, Parise, Stafford, etc.), I thanked them for their time (both at the event and their years at UND), and told them that I hoped they made the decision that was best for them. Inevitably, I got the "double take", and a sincere "thank you", as if noone had expressed those wishes to them before. Just food for thought.

Sioux18

At the very end, we raced back to Toews' table to get a pic with my daughter. I shook his hand after the pic said he needs to do what is best for him and he replied he appreciate that.

When was the new women's hockey coached formally introduced, was it at the event? I could not make it, and I noticed his introduction on tv, and sitting in the audience was Phil, thought hmmm, funny he would be considering his sister's are goofers.

When was the new women's hockey coached formally introduced, was it at the event? I could not make it, and I noticed his introduction on tv, and sitting in the audience was Phil, thought hmmm, funny he would be considering his sister's are goofers.

But his girlfriend plays for the Sioux women :glare:

ahhh, you seem jealous, that could be very difficult for him next season.

Jealous--no. Married--yes. My 6 y.o. daughter and I sat by her on the flight back from the Denver regional. Very impressive young lady.

Couple highlights-

Radke signed my game-worn. Kind of paused in awe when I set it on the table in front of him and then said, "This is a first for me."

Duncan- signed a jersey for someone else under Hrkac's signature and was humbled by being asked to sign anywhere near it.

Hak-was asking people if they were at the Frozen Four and when they said yes, personally thanked them for going and shook their hand.

Toews- apologized when I said that he was one of only two that needed to sign my 2006 WCHA Final Five Champions T-shirt and that I had missed him last year.

Porter and Fabian- could have probably sat there all night and talked to people.

Every player seemed like they were happy to be there, and was more than willing to pose for a picture or sign whatever was in front of them.

They talked about how well the fans travel-when you have a team and coaches that are as classy as our Fighting Sioux, you don't have to think twice about driving 13 hours for a game......you just do it.

Thanks for a great season guys! To the seniors and whoever else decides to move on, thank you for your career at UND and good luck! It has been a pleasure watching you.

Couple highlights-

Radke signed my game-worn. Kind of paused in awe when I set it on the table in front of him and then said, "This is a first for me."

Duncan- signed a jersey for someone else under Hrkac's signature and was humbled by being asked to sign anywhere near it.

Hak-was asking people if they were at the Frozen Four and when they said yes, personally thanked them for going and shook their hand.

Toews- apologized when I said that he was one of only two that needed to sign my 2006 WCHA Final Five Champions T-shirt and that I had missed him last year.

Porter and Fabian- could have probably sat there all night and talked to people.

Every player seemed like they were happy to be there, and was more than willing to pose for a picture or sign whatever was in front of them.

They talked about how well the fans travel-when you have a team and coaches that are as classy as our Fighting Sioux, you don't have to think twice about driving 13 hours for a game......you just do it.

Thanks for a great season guys! To the seniors and whoever else decides to move on, thank you for your career at UND and good luck! It has been a pleasure watching you.

That's more than a couple. :glare::lol: Thanks for posting.

I did some quick math and I figure we travelled about 5500 auto miles to see Sioux hockey games this year. It was worth every mile.

I had so much fun. I took a book that had clipping and pictures from the season to sign and Watkins and Genoway took the time to look through it and Fabian said that he wanted to. Genoway was so excited when he found his bro's picture in there and he had said that he didn't know that the Herald did the Past and Future thing during the season. I had the Toews set for sophomore season headline in there and asked him if he would cross out sophomore and put junior and then sign but he said no. They do need a better set-up though.

My thoughts on the evening....

First off, the little opening ceremony was awesome. They announced each player and coach individually, and some of the players were pretty funny! Phil looked a little shy about it, while Porter was cheering for himself lol, some of the players were even giving fives to the little kids! Coach Hakstol, Chris Porter, Erik Fabian, and Ryan Duncan all got up and talked, and they are all very well-spoken. Fabian almost looked as if he was going to cry. It was a nice little presentation with a little video, and I think people liked that.

The part that everyone most enjoyed, obviously, was the autograph session! The players, coaches, and fans alike were having fun talking to each other the whole time. They could have had it set up a little bit better though, it seemed pretty unorganized.

Some funny things from the night.... I went to Brian twice because the first time around I was too busy having an actual conversation with him that I forgot to have him sign the poster I was holding haha! All the boys got handed cookies at the beginning, and while some of them ate those right away, some other people just sat them on the floor. As we were taking a picture with Miller, Martens, and Kozek they told us to watch out for the cookies lol! Also, my friend and I thought we would be smart and avoid the really long lines, so we were skippin around, and Forney noticed when we came back to his table for Duncs and asked us if it was our 2nd time around lol... Oh and Duncs said he saw me at lunch, which I thought was pretty funny!

More funny things.... We have 3 pictures with Toews because the first one we didn't like and the 2nd one he didn't like lol! And did anyone else have awkward pictures besides us? Like they would put their arm around us and we had no idea what to do. Were we supposed to put our arm around them too?? It was so strange lol... Everyone thought it was weird that Finley was gone, nobody really knew what to think about that. Oh yeah, some little kids were going back and forth between flicking Radke, Bina, and Zajac's ears and head, the guys kept sending them back and forth, it was funny! Phil held some people's baby, that was kinda amusing.

Anyways, this is getting really long, so I'll just end it now. Thanks to the boys and everyone else for putting this on! It was a great night and everyone had a lot of fun! The seniors will be missed... And the guys that have yet to decide, I hope you make whatever decision is best for you!

WOW I am so proud of these guys!! I am really going to miss FABIAN and PORTER and FOYT!!! I loved how Foyt made a sign that said I'm with Stupid and made it point to Lee!! LMAO I loved how Porter and Fabian gave me a hug and told me to stay the Sioux fan that I am!! I almost started crying :glare: I also want to say that Radke is such a nice guy. He really liked my poster that I made. He told me that I would always be is #1 fan!! Oh yeah I can't forget PHIL!! My friend and I are goalies and we told Phil that we were and he told us that He really felt the goaile power connect!!! I also Want to say that I WILL miss all The seniors and I CANT WAIT TILL NEXT SEASON!!!!!!

I got there a little after 5 and was in the front row for the very touching ceremony. I was probably there against doctor's orders [HIPAA disclosure ahead] since I'd just gotten a steroid injection in my lower back and was supposed to be taking it easy. Pretty sure "taking it easy" does not include standing on imported marble floors for 3+ hours. However, how could I ask for Ironman Chris Porter's autograph if I was too big a wuss to gut it out myself?

All the guys were very friendly to the fans; Radke offered me one of the famous chocolate chip cookies which were delicious! It seemed Porter and Fabian really understood how sweet, special and fleeting their time in UND hockey was. I told Fabian he'd be missed, especially the way he'd owned the Gophers. I managed to get everyone's autograph just after the 5 minute warning.

Any crowd estimates given? My own guesstimate was "a gazillion," but I might be rounding up.

Thanks so much, REA and Fighting Sioux hockey team and coaches for a very special evening. I love this team!

I asked Chorney if he had signed any "Me So Chorney" signs yet, and both he and Watkins couldn't believe that such signs existed, until not even 2 minutes later, 4 gals arrived with a "Me So Chorney" sign asking for a photo. I don't know if Taylor knew exactly how to react--he seemed both honored and embarrassed. Watkins gave him quite a bit of grief about it though. :glare: