SiouxSports.com Forum

A review of open registration

jimdahl

This was posted in a now-closed thread, so I'm happy to move the conversation over here...

And, WPoS, I too like the fact that GPL closes registration. Sometimes I wish Jim would do the same.

I continue to be skeptical of limiting discussion to those who happened to become fans, find the site, or decide to register in a certain time window. A lot of people tell me they lurk without posting because forums like these can be intimidating to newcomers with a feeling of being a private club dominated by the old-timers.

The playoffs are the board's busiest time, when interest in the team is highest and new people and long-time lurkers are registering to chat about the games, make meeting plans, trade tickets, and join the siouxsports.com community. I can't imagine passing down that opportunity to bring in members who could become active participants.

Some details that I have that may help you see what I see:

* 127 new registrations have been approved since the 2007 WCHA Final Five began.

* 4 people were banned in that period. Of those four, only 1 had registered in that period; three were previous registrants who came to troll/taunt after a Sioux loss.

I don't think it makes sense to actively turn away 127 people interested in joining SiouxSports.com and talking about Sioux hockey to prevent 1 troll from managing to get off a few posts before we banned him.

Some of the newbies that come and talk smack do nothing but drag the board conversation down, but overall, Jim, I agree with your point and suggest we all should learn to deal those situations when they come up. While I can understand why a board would choose to shut that stuff down, I think your policy is the best.

Thanks again for everything you do.

How many accounts/user names can one person have? I've blocked some members and have received PM's from them from a different account/user name. Just wondering.

We generally chase down multiple accounts in two situations:

1) When we notice a person is actively participating in a single conversation with two different names (usually attempting to create the illusion of consensus or increased popularity of his opinion). In this situation, we usually warn the person to discontinue that behavior.

2) When someone is being suspended/banned, we monitor to ensure they don't participate under a different name. All aliases are blocked if they do.

We have rarely noticed someone register for a high number of accounts, in which case we begin to carefully monitor their activities (reading those registrations as a likely indicator that they're up to something).

Otherwise, it takes a great deal of investigation to differentiate between a person with two accounts and two members of the same family posting.

This was posted in a now-closed thread, so I'm happy to move the conversation over here...

I continue to be skeptical of limiting discussion to those who happened to become fans, find the site, or decide to register in a certain time window. A lot of people tell me they lurk without posting because forums like these can be intimidating to newcomers with a feeling of being a private club dominated by the old-timers.

The playoffs are the board's busiest time, when interest in the team is highest and new people and long-time lurkers are registering to chat about the games, make meeting plans, trade tickets, and join the siouxsports.com community. I can't imagine passing down that opportunity to bring in members who could become active participants.

* 127 new registrations have been approved since the 2007 WCHA Final Five began.

* 4 people were banned in that period. Of those four, only 1 had registered in that period; three were previous registrants who came to troll/taunt after a Sioux loss.

I don't think it makes sense to actively turn away 127 people interested in joining SiouxSports.com and talking about Sioux hockey to prevent 1 troll from managing to get off a few posts before we banned him.

Very good insight... :D

Some of the newbies that come and talk smack do nothing but drag the board conversation down, but overall, Jim, I agree with your point and suggest we all should learn to deal those situations when they come up. While I can understand why a board would choose to shut that stuff down, I think your policy is the best.

Thanks again for everything you do.

I think you can ussually spot what I call a troll or a skippy by the date and the number of posts they have, this is ussually right after the Sioux have been eliminated for the season. They ussually don't last very long. That must be where Jim comes in. Over all this board is run well and you don't pull the pin on discussion like other heavy handed boards do. I do like the fact that it is moderated and is not like a political blog where everything goes.

• 3 weeks later...

How many accounts/user names can one person have? I've blocked some members and have received PM's from them from a different account/user name. Just wondering.

How did you know it was me? :silly: