SiouxSports.com Forum

Toews Watch

Goon

Is there any way Toews can come back to Grand Forks and avoid drinking?

It's not going to be any different in Chicago. The temptation is going to be just as great, probably even greater. He just needs to think about what's more important, the hockey or the drinking. I would think that both he and TJ would be very careful in the next year, it might just be easier if they are together in Forks, working on getting through their sentences together.

Or maybe I'm being selfish.......

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Herald on-line blames the court for its errors:

"Correction: An earlier version of this story, based on court documents, reported that Jonathan Toews would spend 10 days in jail. After subsequent interviews with prosecutors, the Herald learned Toews' sentence was suspended, so he will not serve the jail time."

The Forum's on-line version still has not been corrected.

Well of course the Herald's not going to take the blame..... :(;)

The Herald is lying. Susanne Nadeau doesn't know how to read a court document. She made the mistake. They are in full spin-control right now as they try to cover their ass regarding a slam-dunk libel case.

I'm no lawyer, but I seriously doubt that there's any way Toews could win a libel suit without proving that the Herald knowingly and maliciously published false information about him. It could also be argued that Toews is a public figure.

I'm no lawyer, but I seriously doubt that there's any way Toews could win a libel suit without proving that the Herald knowingly and maliciously published false information about him. It could also be argued that Toews is a public figure.

there also has to some kind of measurable "damages"

beings that this was apparently and honest mistake and was retracted in a matter of a couple of hours - I don't think that would be possible

The Herald on-line blames the court for its errors:

"Correction: An earlier version of this story, based on court documents, reported that Jonathan Toews would spend 10 days in jail. After subsequent interviews with prosecutors, the Herald learned Toews' sentence was suspended, so he will not serve the jail time."

The Forum's on-line version still has not been corrected.

I'm calling BS. ;)

Somebody should do a "Freedom of Information Act" request to see the "incorrect" court documents. I suspect we would learn they never existed. :(

Somebody should do a "Freedom of Information Act" request to see the "incorrect" court documents. I suspect we would learn they never existed. :(

Nobody needs to do that. The court records are open under North Dakota law.

You don't necessarily need "real" malicious intent for libel. If the reporter knew the information was false, or published the information with reckless disregard for the truth despite not having actual knowledge it was false, she can be guilty of libel. Standards vary, and although I am a lawyer (and played one on TV once), this shouldn't be taken as legal advice.

John

Ok, ten days is considered excessive. Suspended ten days is ok. No probation, just stay clean for a year.

Is a one year probation for T.J. standard for a minor on the premises/misdemeanor? Unsupervised or not, it's still probation.

quick question, a friend and I were talking and wondering if Toews can be deported for his two minors or are we way off? anyone know?

You don't necessarily need "real" malicious intent for libel. If the reporter knew the information was false, or published the information with reckless disregard for the truth despite not having actual knowledge it was false, she can be guilty of libel. Standards vary, and although I am a lawyer (and played one on TV once), this shouldn't be taken as legal advice.

John

So you are leaving open the old "I am Stupid" defense for the reporter. :(

No. Lived here nigh on 50 years and I have been thirsty every day.

You can quit. The first week is rather tough, but after that it becomes real easy.

Takes a lot of willpower. People that have had the most luck kicking the habit generally go to the Sahara Desert Camp or a place like that.

lots of WCHA players listed for the Central division. (7) weird to see Curtis Glencross listed as he's been in the minors for four years. I just remember him with AAU because he wore #82 and he was a speedster. Why is it that AAU always has guys wear unusual numbers for a college team? I guess Wigge thinks Toews is a lock to sign with Chicago just like every other so-called expert. i did get some very inside info this week that JT is "seriously leaning at staying." although, i still can't believe that will be the case. JT's addition to the pre-competition camp will probably give him a good idea if he's ready to move on to the next level. imo

lots of WCHA players listed for the Central division. (7) weird to see Curtis Glencross listed as he's been in the minors for four years. I just remember him with AAU because he wore #82 and he was a speedster. Why is it that AAU always has guys wear unusual numbers for a college team? I guess Wigge thinks Toews is a lock to sign with Chicago just like every other so-called expert. i did get some very inside info this week that JT is "seriously leaning at staying." although, i still can't believe that will be the case. JT's addition to the pre-competition camp will probably give him a good idea if he's ready to move on to the next level. imo

thats not that hard to believe, he just turned 19. it also would not hurt him to develop another year. Basically there are a lot of good reasons for leaving and going. that would be so awesome if he stayed though...i guess it depends on how "serious" he is and how inside the source is.