SiouxSports.com Forum

Zamboni Drunken Driving?

WiSioux

If he didn't leave the rink with the Zamboni what case did they think they had?

Do you need a driver's license to drive a Zamboni?

Granted, it wasn't the smartest thing to do....

Police are always looking to ticket someone no matter what reasoning there is.

If he didn't leave the rink with the Zamboni what case did they think they had?

Do you need a driver's license to drive a Zamboni?

Granted, it wasn't the smartest thing to do....

Somebody told the police that he was speeding and almost hit the boards?!? When did cops start giving out DUI's based on what 'somebody' said?

Top speed for a zamboni is nine mph, so, I'm guessing 6.5 mph is the speed limit. :silly:

Trying to answer all your questions:

1) In Minnesota (and I think in North Dakota) you can get a DUI on private property and while operating any motorized capable machinery (i.e. if you stood atop a push behind self-propelled lawn mower under the right circumstances you can get a DUI if over .08% or if they can prove that you ability to operate such machinery was affected by alcohol or illegal drugs (excluding THC in most states) or a combination of both).

2) Even if you don't need a driver's license to drive a Zamboni, in Minnesota, if you are caught operating a boat/snowmobile/jet ski/(zamboni?) while under the influence it counts an enhanceable offense but doesn't cause you to lose your DL on your first offense. Therefore, you don't need a DL to get a DUI on a zamboni under this line of thinking.

3) Although police can't "give out" DUI's based upon what somebody said, they do have the right to investigate and, in Minnesota, even pull you over if such information is given by a known informant (as opposed to an anonymous tip). With a known informant, someone can actually lie and so and so looks like they are driving drunk at so and so location and the cops can pull you over without witnessing any of the aforementioned driving conduct. However, if it is an anonymous tip, such information can (read "should") only be used to put the police into a position to witness such conduct and to confirm the description of the alleged person/vehicle and, if they match, can then stop such motor vehicle. Of course, in real life, the police will go to your house if someone said you were speeding two hours ago and ask you if you were speeding (without the benefit of a Miranda warning no less!) and if you say "Yes," will write you a ticket for it!

Best bet... drink at home and take cabs!

2) Even if you don't need a driver's license to drive a Zamboni, in Minnesota, if you are caught operating a boat/snowmobile/jet ski/(zamboni?) while under the influence it counts an enhanceable offense but doesn't cause you to lose your DL on your first offense. Therefore, you don't need a DL to get a DUI on a zamboni under this line of thinking.

.....but you will lose your Zamboni priviledges. :silly:

Damn, I guess I'll be taking the beer holder off of the John Deere before I need it this spring.

.....but you will lose your Zamboni priviledges. :D

Damn, I guess I'll be taking the beer holder off of the John Deere before I need it this spring.

AND don't think you're exempt when you're driving that thing in your living room!! (again) :silly:

AND don't think you're exempt when you're driving that thing in your living room!! (again) :silly:

If there's a keg welded directly to your riding lawn mower, and it's tapped, is that an open container?

A'ight, I'm outta here!

SEE YOU ALL IN ST. LOUIS

Let's Go Sioux!

Actually the ND Statute is phrased like this:

A person may not drive or be in actual physical control of any vehicle upon a

highway or upon public or private areas to which the public has a right of access for

vehicular use in this state

I did get a client out of a DUI because he was stopped by a game wardon on his own land, which was posted. So the public had no "right of access for vehicular use". I don't think driving a zamboni while drunk could get you a DUI for the same reason - unless of course you were driving the zamboni on a road which the public has a right of access.

Unlike the NJ court, I do think ND would consider a zamboni a "motor vehicle" which is defined as:

Motor vehicle" includes every vehicle that is self-propelled, every vehicle that is

propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated

upon rails, and, for purposes of motor vehicle registration, title registration, and

operator's licenses, motorized bicycles. The term does not include a snowmobile as

defined in section 39-24-01.

Trying to answer all your questions:

1) In Minnesota (and I think in North Dakota) you can get a DUI on private property and while operating any motorized capable machinery (i.e. if you stood atop a push behind self-propelled lawn mower under the right circumstances you can get a DUI if over .08% or if they can prove that you ability to operate such machinery was affected by alcohol or illegal drugs (excluding THC in most states) or a combination of both).

3) Although police can't "give out" DUI's based upon what somebody said, they do have the right to investigate and, in Minnesota, even pull you over if such information is given by a known informant (as opposed to an anonymous tip). With a known informant, someone can actually lie and so and so looks like they are driving drunk at so and so location and the cops can pull you over without witnessing any of the aforementioned driving conduct. However, if it is an anonymous tip, such information can (read "should") only be used to put the police into a position to witness such conduct and to confirm the description of the alleged person/vehicle and, if they match, can then stop such motor vehicle. Of course, in real life, the police will go to your house if someone said you were speeding two hours ago and ask you if you were speeding (without the benefit of a Miranda warning no less!) and if you say "Yes," will write you a ticket for it!

Best bet... drink at home and take cabs!

I just heard this on the News http://wdef.com/node/3842

Police on Sand Mountain arrested a woman over the weekend for riding her horse while under the influence.

So stay off those Clysdales down there in St Louie :sad:

Crap, now I have to come up with a whole new ground transportation plan.....

Guys, what can I say--this is New Jersey. Mennen Arena is a rink paid for and run by tax dollars. My guess is he got his job because he is a brother-in-law to someone in county government. My biggest concern,though, is this three-rink complex is home to hundreds of little league hockey players,some as young as four. On the lighter side, if he ever did take this on the road, he and I would be the only people on the roads in New Jersey driving under 80 MPH. He would be driving a Zamboni at 9 MPH and I would be driving a motorcycle at 12 MPH :sad:

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!