SiouxSports.com Forum

A Good Loss?

Upper Deck

But it is SO DARN EASY! If we don't blame Lee we'd have to look at other reasons like earlier in the year we would have to blame players like Oshie and Toews for not scoring or last night with Chorney's drop pass. We can't blame Chorney! Lee and Finley are poster children for the haters. They see no evil in everyone else but are more than aware of Lee and Finley's faults. That's good because Greene and Smaby and Commodore were treated the same way. Of course those three were the worst defensemen ever to wear the Sioux jersey.

Anyways, Siouxdonyms, you're right. We need to focus on what makes us better as a team, not what we'd like to see kicked off of or benched on the team. Lee logs a tremendous amount of time on the ice and in every situation. Same as Chorney.

Maybe we need to do a better job of timing our defensive shifts early in the game to prevent fatigue late in the game?

Maybe we need to employ more of what we did against SCSU on teams like Michigan and Minnesota (shoot the puck and crash the net for rebounds). Maybe we need to use our speed more.

One thing we DO need to work on is our physical play. We'll be playing in front of non WCHA officials who call the rulebook like the NCAA intends it (which means they do call holding the stick and diving). This can help and hurt us. But it will take adjustment.

I don't know what Hakstol has as far as practice techniques, but we should really work on penalty killing, passing, working against the trap, transitioning in the neutral zone, and watching the SCSU games because we did all of those things well.

I assume that you are being sarcastic with the Commodore, Greene, Smaby comment??

Are you saying that Lee is of the same caliber of the three named above?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume that you are being sarcastic with the Commodore, Greene, Smaby comment??

Are you saying that Lee is of the same caliber of the three named above?

I was being sarcastic. And no, Lee is not a defensive defenseman so he's not going to be like those three. He's a Travis Roche type player. He IS on the level of those three because Lee is constantly being blamed for stuff like those three were their first two seasons (and with Smaby and Greene that continues into their junior years as well).

I just like how everyone hated Smaby his freshman year and his game changed a little but not much his sophomore year and that caused people to pray he stayed for his junior year and now we miss him. Well, when Lee leaves, I'll guarantee you there will be positive aspects to the Sioux game now that will be missing when he leaves. But the haters won't realize it because they'll be too busy celebrating Lee's departure and posting meaningless platitudes like "Good luck in the pros" or "I hope you find your game at the next level" while really meaning "Good riddance" and "I could care less about him now except for that he's not our problem anymore."

I STILL (and forever will) think Lee will be JUST FINE. He's not a bruiser and that's driving some of you crazy. His draft position is driving some of you crazy, which means a lot seeing how this is the NHL...oh wait. I think we can like our entire team and support our entire team through thick and thin. Not just certain players you've decided to like.

And "you" is more like "you all" which basically is "in general" not calling any particular poster out.

I agree, with the shot barrage. I posted elsewhere that I thought we were definitely trying to be too pretty. Clearly Chorney, Duncan and Toews can pick corners with the best of them. Bottom line, Sioux need to have offensive production out of the 2-4 lines. We need goals from those guys or else we will lose.

I thought the major reason we weren't getting shots on goal was not because we were being too pretty but because Minnesota did a great job of blocking shots and not letting them get to the goal. The didn't just block with their bodies but there were so many shots that they deflected into the netting or away from the goal with their sticks. That was the first time in many years I've seen a Minnesota team willing to lay it on the line.

Still I felt the huge number of penalties made for no flow in the game which helped Minnesota. It also seemed like the shots on goal were very inflated towards Minensota but I probably had my green glasses on.

I thought the major reason we weren't getting shots on goal was not because we were being too pretty but because Minnesota did a great job of blocking shots and not letting them get to the goal. The didn't just block with their bodies but there were so many shots that they deflected into the netting or away from the goal with their sticks. That was the first time in many years I've seen a Minnesota team willing to lay it on the line.

Still I felt the huge number of penalties made for no flow in the game which helped Minnesota. It also seemed like the shots on goal were very inflated towards Minensota but I probably had my green glasses on.

We commented during the game on the high number of shots that MN blocked (mostly going off shinguards, etc.).

I'd much rather lose the WCHA Final Five Championship then one of the next four games. The loss lets the team step back and put some things in perspective, I'd rather win all of them, but if you have to choose, no one is going to choose the WCHA Final Five Championship over a trip the the Frozen Four and the possibility of playing for a National Title.

I can only say - about Lee - You guys who defend him - he will be back - He is not even close to being ready for the next step ;)

I don't disagree with you. However, that doesn't mean that he's a bad player. I'm happy that he will be back. He has a ton of talent. He may not have lived up to some people's expectations of a No. 9 overall pick, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good player. You have to remember that he did not play juniors and is still very young. Up until recently, Blake Wheeler would also have to be considered a disappointment for a No. 5 overall pick. Based upon his recent performances, it appears that his potential is just starting to be realized. Give Brian Lee time. He's a good player. He has things to work on, but he will only get better.

I certainly am not going to hang my head after that. Minnesota played, a great game, got a little lucky, but deserved to win. Both teams did. Phil played well, but let in 3 goals he probably shouldn't have. One was weak, and the last 2 he got out of position. Oh well, he still had about 40 saves. If Oshie or Kaip could have hit an open net everybody would be happy, and there would be less trolls here. Hats off the the Gophers they played a great game. Hats of to the Sioux they played a great game. Minus the penalties, I think the Sioux could have buried them in the first period. I think it is too bad we are both in the West. I like our chances in a rematch when Minnesota won't have the same level of fan support.

Anyone blaming Lee for this loss should remove one's head from one's a$$.

Congrats Rodents, Go Sioux.

The Sioux need a 5 x 3 just to stay in the game!!!! other wise the Gophers had the Sioux shut down.....

I only say this becuase i'd like to see another Sioux/Gopher match up.

The Gophers beat the Sioux by beating them to every free puck. In the corners, along the boards, you name it, we outskated your sqaud to the puck and held control. If the Sioux are to advance, they need to move their feet and hustle more. For the most part, they played good postional hockey though. They kept the Gophers out of the center of the ice the entire game. Everything came in fromt he outside edges.

Almost as important, keep your heads. You guys took a lot of dumb penalties (all three times we played you). You can blame the refs all you want, but the Sioux deserves most of the penalties they get. In fact, i see you guys getting a way with a lot that's not called. i think the refs stop from trying to pile it on your team at times.

Oh yeah, and Duncan has to shoot, shoot, shoot. That kid has the most pinpoint accurate shot I've seen in years. I'd bet on him to knock a beer can off a fence post from thrity feet a way.

I can only say - about Lee - You guys who defend him - he will be back - He is not even close to being ready for the next step :angry:

Gosh that's too bad. Isn't it. :silly:

Don't care much what you think. We could use Lee. He's going to be huge next year especially if Chorney bolts.

And yeah, I think he's a good defenseman who plays an awful lot for the Sioux. Go LEE go!

The Sioux need a 5 x 3 just to stay in the game!!!! other wise the Gophers had the Sioux shut down.....

and the gophers scored 1 more goal than the sioux, i suppose thats a azz kickin to you, huh, it was fun being there live, great game. revenge will be nice when we get by the wolverines

MN employed the defensive style to beat us last night.

While I agree Minnesota did employ a defensive style to shut down the DOT line, They did outshoot UND nearly 2-1, So it's not exactly like they were totally defensive. Personally I think it's pretty strange, But I think the Gophs are better suited to the NHL rink than the Sioux. Minnesota has lost one game this season on NHL ice.

While I agree Minnesota did employ a defensive style to shut down the DOT line, They did outshoot UND nearly 2-1, So it's not exactly like they were totally defensive. Personally I think it's pretty strange, But I think the Gophs are better suited to the NHL rink than the Sioux. Minnesota has lost one game this season on NHL ice.

then you are all set for the frozen 4 :silly:

That is interesting that only one MN loss is on NHL sized rink. Very interesting. MN did outshoot the Sioux in terms of shots on goal by a large margin, and I think they were in offensive zone a lot more in the third period, but I do think shots attempted would've been a lot closer, as many have posted that MN blocked a ton of shots.

I feel the need to clarify my statement about defensive style. I by no means meant that they were trapping, I think that they were playing defense first and counterpunch. Sort of the philosophy of play good D, get a turnover and then transition rather than all out attack. Shut down the DOT line and hope that you can keep the likes of Porter, Watkins, Kaip, Zajac, Fabian etc off the board. It is definitely a tall order; MN did it, and MN deserved to win.

New tournament this weekend, and you can bet our boys are going to want it. Nothing like being shown your vulnerable to make you smarten up.

New tournament this weekend, and you can bet our boys are going to want it. Nothing like being shown your vulnerable to make you smarten up.

I believe that too a degree. However, Sometimes when you have been as hot as the Sioux it only takes one loss to cool you off. I curious how Sioux fans see it, As a case can be made for both.

I believe that too a degree. However, Sometimes when you have been as hot as the Sioux it only takes one loss to cool you off. I curious how Sioux fans see it, As a case can be made for both.

im not sweatin the loss at all. if it was a blowout it would be different, it was a hard fought game and the team that stayed out of the box the most played a bit better, won. it would have been sweet to win of course but we didnt, move on, michigan is next up, NOT the flippin gophers so 1st things 1st. then it will be a revenge sunday....i believe the sioux have lost a few games since the new year began and 2 have been OT losses, they are playing GREAT hockey, whomever gets out the the west region will win the national title, book it...........

I guess I can see it both ways. It's not good to lose momentum this time of year. I'd rather have UND going into the tournment as the team everyone fears. The Sioux had that going for them Friday and then gave it away Saturday against the Gophers.

On the other hand, if the Sioux are going to lose a game and it helps teach them an important lesson that they carry to a national championship, then it was a good loss. After the Sioux lost to CC on Jan. 5, they went 8-0-3 until their next loss. After losing to Denver on Feb. 23, the Sioux went 5-0-1 until their next loss. If UND can put together a 4-0 winning streak from here on, I'll be happy to let Minnesota have the MacNaughton and the Broadmoor. :silly:

and the gophers scored 1 more goal than the sioux, i suppose thats a azz kickin to you, huh, it was fun being there live, great game. revenge will be nice when we get by the wolverines

No a#@ kicking, but it does show that the Gophers have a heart and are able to grind out a game and if they continue to play like Saturday they will be tough to beat!!!!!!!

No a#@ kicking, but it does show that the Gophers have a heart and are able to grind out a game and if they continue to play like Saturday they will be tough to beat!!!!!!!

Gophs were a missed open net from losing, but they did play well. This is the first time in many years where I think the Sioux are better build for Olympic ice and the Gophs are better build for NHL. The Sioux can really skate, but suffered some bad match ups in the corners. Wheeler & Stoa vs. Genoway comes to mind. I think Minnesota is a big Michigan fan right now.

BTW, With Brett coming here next year, you will need to get more specific on your name.

Gophs were a missed open net from losing, but they did play well. This is the first time in many years where I think the Sioux are better build for Olympic ice and the Gophs are better build for NHL. The Sioux can really skate, but suffered some bad match ups in the corners. Wheeler & Stoa vs. Genoway comes to mind. I think Minnesota is a big Michigan fan right now.

BTW, With Brett coming here next year, you will need to get more specific on your name.

umtc does have a big size advantage. My friends and I in January kept commenting that they don't play big. Seemed to on Saturday, but can they keep it up?

I think Minnesota is a big Michigan fan right now.

I'm a big fan of multiple overtimes. 9 or so would be good. :silly:

No seriously, I really don't care who the gophers *could* play. I'm going to concentrate on AFA for right now. The Sioux have a very tough first game as well. Really UND/Michigan would not shock anyone no matter which way it went. Good Luck until you cross paths with the Gophers again.

No seriously, I really don't care who the gophers *could* play. I'm going to concentrate on AFA for right now. The Sioux have a very tough first game as well. Really UND/Michigan would not shock anyone no matter which way it went. Good Luck until you cross paths with the Gophers again.

You have grown wiser grasshopper... :silly: