SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/Huskies

Siouxdonyms

It really makes you wonder how he was a coach in the WCHA. Post game to his Gophers, "nice crisp passes out their guys, too bad the Sioux were picking them off" :lol: .

Be nice on this one. Crisp passes are crisp passes. There's no requirement that a crisp pass HAS to be to a teammate :D

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Final Score

UND 6 (Toews, VandeVelde, VandeVelde, Toews, Watkins, Porter)

SCSU 2 (Nodl, Gordon)

Final shots

UND 35

SCSU 27

Coach Hak:

Very happy to be playing tomorrow night. Thought we were a little bit sparatic in the first couple minutes, but not for long periods of time. Made a bunch of good plays, loved the goals we scored. St Cloud was obviously a little low on energy.

Seconds before Toews' first goal, Duncan missed and I thought "we need to get one soon"... four or five seconds later Toews made a world class shot and tucked it upstairs. It was a battle all the way through until our sixth goal.

You don't win games in the second half of the year if you are a one line team. We have on line that is full of exceptional talent... but every line plays a big role. 2nd line with four goals, Kozek didn't have a great night, but had a better second half of the game.

Lamoureux didn't take any shots in practice this morning (which is unusual) but said he'd be ready to play at two and he was.

Our first goal was highlight reel shot... second and third were crashing the net... fourth goal was Oshie to Toews... fifth goal was the most fun goal from a coaching point, great for Watkin's confidence...

We wanted the chance to defend our Cup. We can enjoy this for about thirty minutes, but we have to get ready for tomorrow.

Watkins:

Took me a little while to get into it in the first period, second period our line was clicking, creating chances. Didn't want to be a liability, knew I had to contribute to the team. When I was out of the lineup we had guys step up... just wanted to come in and carry on that good play.

It's a little different to play winger then center... I didn't play center until I came here, so it was okay. When you are playing well you want to have something to show for it, it was good to get the first one.

Porter:

171st game... the second and third goals were a big turning point in the game. 2nd line stepped up big, kinda a snowball effect. More jump on the bench. All of our lines played great tonight. Great for confidence. Created lots of opportunities. We need to play hard along the wall, play with speed, pucks to the net, traffic to the net... we did that tonight.

Doesn't matter who we play tomorrow, both are good teams and great rivals. Would be nice to play WI because we got swept by them, but MN is a great rival. We'll sit back and take in the game tonight and get ready for tomorrow.

Other teams must be scared... four goals from another line, plus two goals from the top line. A lot of people will be looking at this game... not because of the win, but because of the spread...

These guys like each other, they're having a lot of fun on the ice and being a pack together. In the NHL the older guys aren't really interested in the younger guys, they have families to go back to.

Hak Post Game Comments:

Very happy to be playing tomorrow night at 7p.m. That's the bottom line.

Get to this point of the year, you're wired a little more.

Thought the first few minutes of the game were sporadic. Not bad, but sporadic.

Made a lot of good play.

St. Cloud was a little low on energy in the 3rd.

Seconds before Toews scored his first goal, Duncan was on the doorstep. Thought we needed to get one, and get one soon. That goal loosened us up quite a bit.

Nice to see Porter to get a goal. Nice way to cap it off for Chris.

You don't win games this time of year consistently if you're a one line team.

We have one line who is exceptionally talented, at least offensively.

The other lines play their roles and chip in.

The black line, VV's line got 4 goals tonight.

Kozek didn't have a great night, had a better 2nd half, but that line is working and grinding.

I didn't see a difference in Phil tonight in what he's been giving us.

I asked him this morning what he would like to do with his routine, since it's a 2p.m. start, and he said he was fine, didn't need to take shots.

Our first goal was a highlight reel shot. 2nd and 3rd, we're crashing the net. 4th goal was a heck of a goal.

5th goal, from a coaches point of view, was the most fun goal of the night, due to the cycling. See him bury it (Watkins) is great for his confidence.

We can enjoy this for about 30 minutes, than we turn the page and focus on tomorrow.

Definitely wanted to be in it, but we want to win it.

Well, it's official now... all four talking heads on the Fox Sports North telecast have said the Sioux are clearly the best team in the country and should be favored to win the NCAA. Hex x 4! :lol:

(They were all highly complimentary of the Sioux. Called them the most complete team they've seen all year.)

Great game Sioux!

Now Go Gophers so we can see a similar styled game tommorrow!

Not even the DOT line can make the Badgers play an interesting game.

Oh yeah, now, PWR doesn't matter. We're in. Period. Locked and we're going in loaded, baby!

Kellog's Players of the game are the 2nd line for the Sioux: 4 goals and 4 assists for them.

Really, though, everyone played REALLY well, even the fourth line.

My player of the game is Vande Velde though. Man that assist he had on Watkins' absolute rocket was beautiful.

At least SCSU did something Mankato couldn't: Kept Duncan off the scoreboard! :lol:

I agree we are in but I still can't understand a system where we throttle a top 3 team and move nowhere in the pairwise. I'd love to see the Sioux go to Denver but that would mean the Sioux and the Gophers in the same regional. With a possible match up tomorrow night and the fact they were in the same regional last year, I don't see that happening.

I'm not smart enough to understand the pairwise. What helps Denver at this point? I see they are still firmly on the bubble.

Great effort Sioux. Looking forward to getting to watch tonights game.

Well, it's official now... all four talking heads on the Fox Sports North telecast have said the Sioux are clearly the best team in the country and should be favored to win the NCAA. Hex x 4! :lol:

(They were all highly complimentary of the Sioux. Called them the most complete team they've seen all year.)

I hear Sports Illustrated is planning a cover shoot as well.

yeah it's much better flying under the radar rather than being hexed by the likes of the FSN team and Jeff Dubay.

Post game one of the announcers on FSN (Can't remember his name but he was down at center ice between benches) and if I recall this correctly, he stated that he was "taken aback" about how dominant the Sioux were.

Welcome to Fighting Sioux hockey Mr. Man!

Go Sioux!!! What a game!

I see in the box score they have Toews' second goal listed as short handed... I'll be interested to see if that stands, because I thought they said that Kozek was stepping back on the ice.

Also noticed that not only did VV score two goals he did well on faceoffs:

## Player W L

------------------------------

9 Jonathan Toews 12 10

29 Chris VandeVelde 10 5

11 Darcy Zajac 5 2

17 Rylan Kaip 5 8

7 T.J. Oshie 3 0

24 Chris Porter 1 2

10 Andrew Kozek 0 2

Totals......... 36 29

My favorite comment of the game was at the very end... something along the lines of St Cloud said that last time we played them (Saturday) they didn't have anything to play for and it was their backup goalie... that's why we won 7-2... I guess the starting goalie is why it was only 6-2... it was pretty funny!

I see in the box score they have Toews' second goal listed as short handed... I'll be interested to see if that stands, because I thought they said that Kozek was stepping back on the ice.

Also noticed that not only did VV score two goals he did well on faceoffs:

## Player W L

------------------------------

9 Jonathan Toews 12 10

29 Chris VandeVelde 10 5

11 Darcy Zajac 5 2

17 Rylan Kaip 5 8

7 T.J. Oshie 3 0

24 Chris Porter 1 2

10 Andrew Kozek 0 2

Totals......... 36 29

My favorite comment of the game was at the very end... something along the lines of St Cloud said that last time we played them (Saturday) they didn't have anything to play for and it was their backup goalie... that's why we won 7-2... I guess the starting goalie is why it was only 6-2... it was pretty funny!

College Hockey Stats says otherwise about Toews goal. And when it comes to who to believe. It'd be CHS.

College Hockey Stats Box Score

Interestingly, while having it listed as a short handed goal, they have 9,7,5,6,10 as the visitors on the ice.

Dominant performance, Goepheart (sp) was the only reason it wasn't 11-2.

my only concernis still defensive breakdowns. The second goal by SCSU was a PPG, but our D made a very bad play. I believe it was Lee. We are balanced and focused. Toews could"ve had four tonight<Oshie made people look foolish> bring on either of the big ten teams. I would prefer MN< so not to deal with elliot