SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/St. Cloud

GeauxSioux

Don't know about that, dagies. Maybe he wasn't at his best but really... how good was JPar or Lammy when he had nothing in front of him? His team didn't show up for most of the game. By the time they did they couldn't figure Elliott out so it was too late.

Really, the goals scored were bad defensive breakdowns (Geoffrion, Gorowsky), nasty deflection (Joudrey), and fluke (Davies). Not much to blame Teslak for there.

I hope UW goes into tonight's game thinking they can score four goals against the Gophers and then find the Gophers noncompliant. Basically, if the Sioux win this afternoon, I want the Gophers to win tonight. If the Sioux lose, I want the Gophers to lose. I don't want to play UW. Period.

Teslak let in 1-2 weak goals. #2 for the night was a killer for sure.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about that, dagies. Maybe he wasn't at his best but really... how good was JPar or Lammy when he had nothing in front of him? His team didn't show up for most of the game. By the time they did they couldn't figure Elliott out so it was too late.

Really, the goals scored were bad defensive breakdowns (Geoffrion, Gorowsky), nasty deflection (Joudrey), and fluke (Davies). Not much to blame Teslak for there.

I hope UW goes into tonight's game thinking they can score four goals against the Gophers and then find the Gophers noncompliant. Basically, if the Sioux win this afternoon, I want the Gophers to win tonight. If the Sioux lose, I want the Gophers to lose. I don't want to play UW. Period.

I agree with all of this. Tech needs to play good defense to win games and it was horrible last night. They looked out of energy as PCM stated. Tech had scoring opportunities though. Elliott wasn't seeign the puck very well from the blueline but Tech shot wide of the net. His number were a bit inflated as well last night because 90% of the shots came right at his chest. I would hope any goalie could stop them, but I still don't want to face him and UW. Go gophers (provided we win).

I agree with all of this. Tech needs to play good defense to win games and it was horrible last night. They looked out of energy as PCM stated. Tech had scoring opportunities though. Elliott wasn't seeign the puck very well from the blueline but Tech shot wide of the net. His number were a bit inflated as well last night because 90% of the shots came right at his chest. I would hope any goalie could stop them, but I still don't want to face him and UW. Go gophers (provided we win).

Yeah, and if Minnesota blows Wisconsin out of the water tonight, there will be people on this board fretting about playing the Gophers on their pseudo-home ice in front of 15,000 rabid Gopher fans.

I'm happy that the one team UND doesn't have a win against this season is out of the tournament.

But we have to beat SCSU first, so that's all I'm going to concern myself with until that happens.

They are all going to be tight games from here on in which makes March and April my favorite time for college hockey. SCSU will be tough. THe UM/UW game should be great. Badgers playing in a must win. Gophers need to show up and play hard in an otherwise meaningless game for them since they are almost assured of a #1 seed. Go Minnesota. A Sioux-Gopher matchup on St. Pat's day - - AWESOME.

Man, I wish I was in St. Paul. GO SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted this on USCHO.com also - Something to watch at the game today - faceoffs.

UND has multiple guys who are really pretty good at it (top 5 in # taken):

Jonathan Toews 636 faceoffs, won .587

TJ Oshie 302 .576

Chris Porter 221 .516

Matt Watkins 445 .515

Rylan Kaip 372 .454

SCSU's primary guys don't have the numbers:

Gary Houseman 160 .525

Michael Olson 233 .494

Nate Dey 683 .471

John Swanson 482 .432

Nate Raduns 587 .431

I know that stats get thrown out the window on days like today, but its something to watch, especially on special teams.

Posted this on USCHO.com also - Something to watch at the game today - faceoffs.

UND has multiple guys who are really pretty good at it (top 5 in # taken):

Jonathan Toews 636 faceoffs, won .587

TJ Oshie 302 .576

Chris Porter 221 .516

Matt Watkins 445 .515

Rylan Kaip 372 .454

SCSU's primary guys don't have the numbers:

Gary Houseman 160 .525

Michael Olson 233 .494

Nate Dey 683 .471

John Swanson 482 .432

Nate Raduns 587 .431

I know that stats get thrown out the window on days like today, but its something to watch, especially on special teams.

I agree...I was never a big believer or didn't pay much attention to face off percentages etc., but the bottom line is if you control the faceoff you control the puck...the more you control the puck the better off you are. This is HUGE on special teams.

Newbie here with a stupid question - is this a 'one and done' type tournament? And if North Dakota wins the Final 5, that means they're going to the Frozen Four?

Thanks and good luck!

From what I understand UND is in the NCAA tournament already, that or they need only one win in the Final Five tournament to be in the NCAA. If the Sioux lose today, they play for third place tomorrow.

Newbie here with a stupid question - is this a 'one and done' type tournament? And if North Dakota wins the Final 5, that means they're going to the Frozen Four?

Thanks and good luck!

The WCHA Final Five:

Last week the #1 team played the #10, #2 vs #9 and so on... in a best of three series to determine who would go to the WCHA Final Five in Minneapolis. The teams ended up being #1 Gophers, #2 St Cloud, #3 North Dakota, #6 Michigan Tech and #7 Wisconsin.

Thursday night was the play-in game. The two lowest seeds (being Tech and Wisconsin) played with Wisconsin winning.

Today features #2 St Cloud against #3 North Dakota at 2:05 CT and #1 MN against #7 WI at 7:05 CT

Saturday: The winners of the two Friday games will play for the championship, while the losers of the two Friday games will play in the third place game earlier in the afternoon.

Only the winner of the championship game (Broadmoor Trophy) gets the autobid to the NCAA Tourney.

So to answer your question, the Sioux are guarenteed to play two games, however, if they don't win their first game they won't be playing for the Championship.

After this weekend, I'm not sure if there is a weekend off first or not, but there is a selection show on Sunday to decide who is in the NCAA Tourney. Each confrence (?) gets one autobid so they are automatically in. Then based on some magic number there is never actually revealed they select all the other teams.

Regionals:

First thing to happen is Regionals... there are four throughout the country, each regional has four teams. Once again the highest seed plays the lowest seed in the regional and the middle two play each other. The following night there is a championship game to determine the winner of the regional.

Frozen Four:

The four winners of the four regionals move on to the Frozen Four, which this year is in St Louis. Yet again the highest seed will play the lowest seed and the middle two teams will play one another with a championship game two days later.

Hopefully this helps. Let us know if you've got any other questions! Sorry that it's kinda long

Do they reseed at the FF or do they determine who plays who when the Regionals are announced. I thought the regions are matched up when the field is selected and not readjusted based on the teams that advance.

Do they reseed at the FF or do they determine who plays who when the Regionals are announced. I thought the regions are matched up when the field is selected and not readjusted based on the teams that advance.

The Sioux will know their path to number 8 once the field of 16 is finalized

I believe the second part is true. I believe that when the regionals are determined they decide who plays who. For instance the West Regional might play the Northeast Regional. Thanks for catching that. Perhaps someone with some more knowledge or patience could look up how the regionals are matched up this year...

According to Brad's Blog:

UND's lines

16 Ryan Duncan--9 Jonathan Toews--7 T.J. Oshie

20 Matt Watkins--29 Chris VandeVelde--24 Chris Porter

21 Erik Fabian--17 Rylan Kaip--10 Andrew Kozek

26 Kyle Radke--11 Darcy Zajac--14 Brad Miller

4 Taylor Chorney--22 Brian Lee

2 Joe Finley--28 Robbie Bina

6 Zach Jones--5 Chay Genoway

1 Phil Lamoureux

30 Aaron Walski

SCSU's lines