SiouxSports.com Forum

Article about Great West, Gateway, & others

oyerbonde

Where is the conference that we were promised before moving up? This is going to do nothing but cost more taxpayers' money and mess up our schedules.

whats a few more bucks for the nd taxpayers? they're already covering und's lawsuit and $1 million dollar athletic dept defecit, they might as well shell out a few more bucks. :angry:

Take trap, bait with cheese, set trap, and wait for results! ;)

Actually...it's the other way around. I pretended to bite to see what your reaction would be.

I knew that donors were supporting the litigation and that it wasn't taxpayer money. I don't concern myself with the athletic budgets of any university. But I do know that the travel involved will find its way to the pocketbook of North Dakotans. I hear that it hasn't been easy during the transition period at NDSU. Empty home arenas and plane flights have a way of doing it to the budget.

I still want to know where the conference is...the one that we were promised before UND would make the move to DI. What happened to that?

Actually...it's the other way around. I pretended to bite to see what your reaction would be.

I knew that donors were supporting the litigation and that it wasn't taxpayer money. I don't concern myself with the athletic budgets of any university. But I do know that the travel involved will find its way to the pocketbook of North Dakotans. I hear that it hasn't been easy during the transition period at NDSU. Empty home arenas and plane flights have a way of doing it to the budget.

I still want to know where the conference is...the one that we were promised before UND would make the move to DI. What happened to that?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

While this was probably a legitimate stance to take (find a conference before making the move to DI), we have found that it wasn't realistic - for a variety of reasons. The primary reasons being - 1) with our geography, conferences aren't going to readily court UND due to travel costs, etc. and 2) our probationery period is not helpful to a conference. If we were located in other parts of the country, it would be a whole different story for any of the four ND/SD schools - conferences would likely be very interested.

We were wrong so we have changed our mind - understandably so.

Now, there are some who will tell you that we do have an "understanding" with a conference (probably the Big Sky) that we will be accepted in a couple of years. I doubt such an agreement exists, but who knows!

Please provide link or quote stating that UND would have a conference lined up before making the move to Division I. I mean besides one from Bisonville. :angry:

Great (word here) move by the xDSUs:Pray someone leaves the Gateway for DI-A. Well, they got it (Western Kentucky).

Some would fill that "(word here)" in with "strategic", others with "lucky".

Things changed quickly and things worked out for the xDSUs.

But that could never happen again for UND (or USD).

Never. :angry:

Please provide link or quote stating that UND would have a conference lined up before making the move to Division I.

I'd like to see that, too, because I don't recall such a promise being made.

I'd like to see that, too, because I don't recall such a promise being made.

I don't have the quote, but when Kupchella made the announcement of the move, the extra year of transition was to allow for the extra fund raising commitment it would take and to allow more time to line up a conference invite. He made it sound like if both did'nt happen, there may not be a move at this time.

He made it sound like if both did'nt happen, there may not be a move at this time.

"He made it sound like ... " = "I filtered and interpreted his words to mean ... "

I'm with GeauxSioux and PCM on this one: I need a quote or a transcript.

He made it sound like if both did'nt happen, there may not be a move at this time.

Quote, please. And I want to see exactly what Kupchella said, not somebody's interpretation of what they think they remember him saying.

Regarding a conference, if we wanted one before we moved, we should have pushed the whole NCC up to D1, which really would have been my choice. Let the weaker teams drop out. Since that didn't happen, we now shoot for the Gateway-Mid Con in a few years. No conference is going to take any team until they are almost through with the transition. Just the way it is.

Regarding the Gateway article linked here, I'd say it's a rather cheap shot to say UND was a day late and a dollar short.

Quote, please. And I want to see exactly what Kupchella said, not somebody's interpretation of what they think they remember him saying.

Bison fans have tried the same tactic before:

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?sh...mp;#entry169093

Show me an exact quote in a reputable source where this has been said.

You won't, because no one at UND said it. It has been stated that having a conference lined up would HELP. It would not be required.

Remember that game you use to play in elementary school, the telephone game, pass the saying down the line and see how it gets messed up by the end. Bison Fans keep messing up the sayings.

Take the article for what it is...one person's opinion. Pretend the byline is Bakken, Fee, or Mcfeeley, then give it a fold, wipe, and flush.

This opinion is by someone who has been around FCS football for a long time. He's seen how things operate with the conferences and teams moving up. Hardly the same as the dribble that Bakkle, Fee or Mcfeeley write. Yes it's his opinion but it's a very informed one. :angry:

This opinion is by someone who has been around FCS football for a long time. He's seen how things operate with the conferences and teams moving up. Hardly the same as the dribble that Bakkle, Fee or Mcfeeley write. Yes it's his opinion but it's a very informed one. ;)

He may have an informed opinion, but does he have a crystal ball? How many saw WKU moving up two years ago and said, WOW, NDSU would be a perfect fit in a few years? The same hold true for anyone who says that UND will no chance of getting into a conference any time soon. Insofar as his comments on scheduling, I still think that the alliances UND has built through hockey over the years will pay dividends in scheduling for football.

Granted this comes from someone who does not have an informed opinion. :angry:

Regarding a conference, if we wanted one before we moved, we should have pushed the whole NCC up to D1, ...

That's been hashed through here far too many times.

The summary is: A brand new DI conference would not be BB autobid eligible until almost 2020, and the BB autobid is the tap into the BB television money.

Moving up the NCC to DI is not living in reality of the situation.

That's been hashed through here far too many times.

The summary is: A brand new DI conference would not be BB autobid eligible until almost 2020, and the BB autobid is the tap into the BB television money.

Moving up the NCC to DI is not living in reality of the situation.

It was originally brought to the NCC table in 2002?

May have been autobid eligible by the 2015 range.