SiouxSports.com Forum

More D-II playoff selection madness

jimdahl

Another year, another cockamamy change to the D-II playoff selection criteria to encourage D2's to play more D2's.

Division II football committee encourages intra-division competition

If approved by the Division II Championships Committee, the requirement would take effect in the 2008 season.
The ratings index factor will award bonus points to teams that play games within the division. The calculations for points earned will be capped at 10 games against Division II competition.
For instance, a team that plays eight games against Division II programs will be awarded a plus-1.0. A team playing nine games against Division II opponents would garner a 1.125 bonus and a team playing 10 Division II programs could earn a bonus of 1.25 points.

The NCAA has been trying for years (but apparently not succeeding to their satisfaction?) to encourage more intradivision play in D2. Boy am I glad to be getting off this merry-go-round (though hesitance on the part of D-IIs to play up could make scheduling more difficult for an in-transition II/I-AA).

I don't think this is a huge problem, since the cap is at 10 games, so with the yearly 11 game schedule it allows you to play a FCS team and still have 10 against D2 teams and get the max bonus.

I think this is more aimed at discouraging games against DIIIs and NAIA teams, which isn't a bad idea with the migration of teams from those levels of competition. This will really hurt the GNAC schools, who have few scheduling options closeby.

Another year, another cockamamy change to the D-II playoff selection criteria to encourage D2's to play more D2's.

Division II football committee encourages intra-division competition

The NCAA has been trying for years (but apparently not succeeding to their satisfaction?) to encourage more intradivision play in D2. Boy am I glad to be getting off this merry-go-round (though hesitance on the part of D-IIs to play up could make scheduling more difficult for an in-transition II/I-AA).

We're done with D2. It's a dead division that has been on life-support for over a decade. Caliber of play is generally horrible. The old D2 is really DI-AA (or whatever they call it now.)

• 2 weeks later...
We're done with D2. It's a dead division that has been on life-support for over a decade. Caliber of play is generally horrible. The old D2 is really DI-AA (or whatever they call it now.)

Y'all ain't done with D2 yet. Ya got one more go around in the D2 playoffs, and the smart money would have the Sioux hooking up with the Lakers of Grand Valley State University. Our Caliber of play is just fine thank you very much. :D;)

Y'all ain't done with D2 yet. Ya got one more go around in the D2 playoffs, and the smart money would have the Sioux hooking up with the Lakers of Grand Valley State University. Our Caliber of play is just fine thank you very much. :D;)

FYI, that guy is a Bison fan. I don't think any UND fans are going to be bad-mouthing the caliber of play in dII football.

Y'all ain't done with D2 yet. Ya got one more go around in the D2 playoffs, and the smart money would have the Sioux hooking up with the Lakers of Grand Valley State University. Our Caliber of play is just fine thank you very much. :silly:???

I can personally vouch for that...I was at Lubbers last season...OUCH :ohmy::)

Whether or not a team should go to the national tournament should be based only on how good the team is. Not this scheduling non-sense. A team should not be penalized for scheduling a D1-AA and then beating it.

Edit: I think the D1-AA penalty is now gone, but you get the idea.

FINALLY!!! Somebody says it. 2005 Coyote team should have been in. I know most of you agree.

How many of you Sioux are planning on making the trip to Verm this year? Looking forward to a little tailgating with you guys.

How many of you Sioux are planning on making the trip to Verm this year? Looking forward to a little tailgating with you guys.

I was there in 2005 and had a great time, even with the outcome of the game. The Dakotadome is definately on my short list of road trips for this upcoming school year.