SiouxSports.com Forum

Do you care if UND ever plays NDSU again?

CMSioux

What do you think? Would it bother you if UND never played the Bi-son again?

I say no it would not bother me. We own the trophy and we own the won/lost record and there is nothing that will ever change that.

For all the rhetoric we hear about the Bi-son moving on, many of them appear to be unable to do that they need to put the Sioux down in order to make themselves feel superior.

Message to Bi-Sons PLEASE mooooove on. You've got the rivalry with the Jackrabbits now so start monitoring their website and pestering them with your drival about tradition, etc. You've got more in common with them anyway they have cows on campus too.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never really much of a football fan, but it certainly wouldn't bother me at all if NDSU and UND never played any kind of game against each other again. It's kind of one of those "agree to disagree" kind of things for me. NDSU will never be close to UND in my eyes, but I'm sure there are many NDSU alumni who see differently. Either way, I'm just indifferent any more.

If everyone says NO can we stop talking about it? :D

At one point I wanted the rivalry to continue...I remember sitting at Memorial Stadium when NFL films was filming footage for "Football America". I was sitting with my legs straddling the southern wall because there was no where else to sit. It was very cold. My future wife was sitting with me and a photographer from NFL Films took our picture and names. I have no idea if this picture was ever published. I remember the years of heartbreak and finally the jubilation when the Nickel was taken back by UND. But those memories fade with time and soon will matter no more.

Do I care if UND plays NDSU again? NO

I would say this to fans/alumni/administrators/etc on both sides...either resume the rivalry or let it die completely.

The off-field antics are getting tiresome.

GO SIOUX!!!

Those of us that participate on this and other internet forums will have our say. Most of us, in fact, have seen the subject beaten to death so badly on the boards that we're ready to say, "I could care less."

The fact is, however, that our small internet fan communities are a very small (insignificant?) voice in the grand scheme of this former rivalry. The UND and NDSU games have impacted many people in our state for many years. And while those of us die-hards who are reading about this stuff every day are sick of it, there is a far greater number of people, IMO, that can't wait to have it back.

Whether we care or not, UND will play NDSU again.

I loved going to the UND//NDSU football games because it was our very own in-state rivalry. But as time goes on and they haven't played in a while I'm at the point where I could care less if UND ever plays the bison again. I'm satisfied that we have the Nickel and they don't. But I wouldn't mind though if the games between the two started up again :D . But if they don't oh well.

If everyone says NO can we stop talking about it? :D

At one point I wanted the rivalry to continue...I remember sitting at Memorial Stadium when NFL films was filming footage for "Football America". I was sitting with my legs straddling the southern wall because there was no where else to sit. It was very cold. My future wife was sitting with me and a photographer from NFL Films took our picture and names. I have no idea if this picture was ever published. I remember the years of heartbreak and finally the jubilation when the Nickel was taken back by UND. But those memories fade with time and soon will matter no more.

Do I care if UND plays NDSU again? NO

I would say this to fans/alumni/administrators/etc on both sides...either resume the rivalry or let it die completely.

The off-field antics are getting tiresome.

GO SIOUX!!!

I could care less if we play again. The Nickel is the only thing that I would cherish having back. Even though the nickel makes me think we should play, the hatred against the Sioux and the Bison (respectively) makes me think that it's better if this rivalry doesn't exist anymore.....

To SiouxMD... If you're against playing there is no reason to have the nickel as your avatar. It's time to retire it.

That's why I thought the 2003 game was the biggest in the history of the rivalry, knowing that the winner would claim the Nickel for a very long time if not forever. I suspect that if NDSU had won that game in 2003 they wouldn't have been so upset about UND not wanting to play them again in 2004. But if they think they have "moved on" I wish their fans would stop being so interested in what we're doing. I know I certainly don't care what they're doing, and I hope that I can speak for the majority of Sioux fans in saying that. I'd like to see a lot more UND discussion and a lot less NDSU discussion on this board. Let's leave them in the past where they belong.

I agree but please let your AD and media know how the Sioux fans feel so they'll quit asking NDSU for games!

I know I certainly don't care what they're doing, and I hope that I can speak for the majority of Sioux fans in saying that.

I seriously doubt that you do. And by saying such things, you merely continue to generate the very discussion you say you don't want to have.

I seriously doubt that you do. And by saying such things, you merely continue to generate the very discussion you say you don't want to have.

The games will happen again, there's too much advanage for both schools not to continue at some point in time.

To SiouxMD... If you're against playing there is no reason to have the nickel as your avatar. It's time to retire it.

My avatar is not The Nickel...it is a picture of a 1937 United States of America nickel that I happen to have in my meager coin collection.

The design of the Indian is actually a composite of three Native American chiefs that posed for the portrait. They were: Iron Tail (an Oglala Sioux), Big Tree (Onondaga), and Two Moons (Cheyenne).

SOURCE

I believe my avatar is still relevant and appropriate for a fan of the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux.

BTW...did I say I was against renewing the rivalry? No. I said I didn't care. There is a difference.

nickel2.jpg

First of all, I have to say that I am tired of all this discussion as well.....Hopefully it will start to disappear as each school goes its own way.

I actually thought a few months ago, after UND's announcement they were going DI, that the rivalry would resume when UND became a DI counter. Now I don't think it will happen any time in the near future. The key to that is NDSU getting into the Gateway. I suspect that with only a couple dates for OOC games after admission to the Gateway, those OOC dates will go to other schools. If UND develops into a FCS powerhouse team there may be more incentive to meet the Bison OOC, but only time will tell. Anyway, I doubt we will see a NDSU/UND game in the near future.

Whatever we think or say on this website really doesn't matter at all. I am sure that the rivalry will resume in a few years. I would just as soon wait a few years until we have all of our scholarships in use. While I think we would be competitive, I expect the Bison would beat us the next 2-3 years. They should as they have had a jump start on us (our choice to lag behind!). Let's begin playing again when the "playing field" is level.

More important, let's quit talking about it!!!!!

I wish this topic would just die. Why do UND fans beg for something like this. It makes us look bad and we don't need the game. Who cares? Every time it comes up, we get the Roger Thomas thing thrown at us. I hope the heck there is someone else out there to play. Concentrate on the transition and hopefully find a stable conference.

To respond to the question, yes. Very important to both schools, fans, and the state.

I agree that it will be beneficial to both schools to continue the rivalry in all possible sports.I have always felt the football game was the most important sporting event in the state.

I hope we never play them again in anything. NDSU will always be second in the state no matter what they do because they will never get and have the exposure the Sioux get across the country in Hockey. Is it going to kill you bison people to see and hear Barry Melrose talk about the Fighting Sioux on ESPN Primetime again?

I hope we never play them again in anything. NDSU will always be second in the state no matter what they do because they will never get and have the exposure the Sioux get across the country in Hockey. Is it going to kill you bison people to see and hear Barry Melrose talk about the Fighting Sioux on ESPN Primetime again?

Be carefull here. There will be a day in the not too distant future when literally millions of people all around the country are filling in their NCAA bracket and hoping that NDSU or UND will be able to knock off Duke in the first round. Besides, are you confident Bison fans know who Barry Melrose is?

One trip to the "Big Dance" in basketball would be bigger than any national exposure from a hcokey national championship the Sioux or any hockey team would get. I'd be willing to bet the Mid Con Final on ESPN this week had higher ratings than the Frozen Four last year.