SiouxSports.com Forum

Congrats Joe!

AZSIOUX

Great weekend Joe!! Great to see....Keeps improving

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

WCHA honors Finley

Sophomore defenseman Joe Finley is the WCHA's defensive player of the week.

Finley had a career-high three assists in Saturday's 7-2 win over No. 2 St. Cloud State. He was plus-three on the weekend, putting his season mark at plus-18. That's tied for the top plus/minus on the team. He is plus-15 in the second half of the season.

Finley was part of a defensive crew that held the Huskies to just two power-play goals on the weekend. It is the first time in his career he has earned a weekly WCHA honor.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WCHA honors Finley

Finley had a career-high three assists in Saturday's 7-2 win over No. 2 St. Cloud State. He was plus-three on the weekend, putting his season mark at plus-18. That's tied for the top plus/minus on the team. He is plus-15 in the second half of the season.

Finley was part of a defensive crew that held the Huskies to just two power-play goals on the weekend. It is the first time in his career he has earned a weekly WCHA honor.

Not bad for a guy who needs to be signed by Washington ASAP. :silly:

Seriously, though,

Congrats Joe. Saw it in you all along.

WCHA honors Finley

awesome for Joe!

Wait a minute! Isn't this the same guy that people were saying should be shipped off to the NHL as soon as possible? Can't be the same guy! :silly: Great job Joe!!!

Did that make much sense, that he was going to make it at the NHL because he couldn't hack it at in the WCHA?

Did that make much sense, that he was going to make it at the NHL because he couldn't hack it at in the WCHA?

You missed an entire thread, apparently.

Early in the season, a poster and a bunch of others thought Joe Finley should be signed by Washington so he'd be their problem. Essentially, they wanted Joe off the Sioux.

everyone has their own opinion and thats just fine. he has played this year at times and many have thought, man he has a long ways to go. thats fair as he has had some very bad turnovers like others have had as well but he has improved and hopefully this is just the top of the iceburg.there is nothing wrong with critisism in my book, if players play well they should be rewarded and priased as joe did and if they play bad at times its fair to ask why and be critical..i guess we will have to wait and see whats next for joe..hopefully only good things to come...

everyone has their own opinion and thats just fine. he has played this year at times and many have thought, man he has a long ways to go. thats fair as he has had some very bad turnovers like others have had as well but he has improved and hopefully this is just the top of the iceburg.there is nothing wrong with critisism in my book, if players play well they should be rewarded and priased as joe did and if they play bad at times its fair to ask why and be critical..i guess we will have to wait and see whats next for joe..hopefully only good things to come...

"man he has a long ways to go" is one thought. What I read was "Man, Joe needs to be kicked off the team as soon as possible."

There's a huge difference. Yeah, Joe does have a ways to go, even now. But you know what they say: No loss goes without a scapegoat and Finley, along with Lammy and Lee, provided that scapegoat early in the season.

I agree 100%. With that, nice job Finley... keep up the good play.

"man he has a long ways to go" is one thought. What I read was "Man, Joe needs to be kicked off the team as soon as possible."

There's a huge difference. Yeah, Joe does have a ways to go, even now. But you know what they say: No loss goes without a scapegoat and Finley, along with Lammy and Lee, provided that scapegoat early in the season.

scapegoat or reality ? All 3 WERE to blame for some of our early season troubles. Lammy has really come on since recovering from his injuries.

Lee well he still doesn't take the body, is not strong enough in the corners nor does he rush the pucK like I thought he was capable of last year. Joe does

have a long way to go yet, he is shaky in the open ice defensively, needs to get more physical and improve his puck movement skills, having said this .....

Congrats to Joe, this is a real nice first time award and we all like to see our players improve and earn weekly awards. GO SIOUX!

Last year he was attrocious...however, this year he really developed well. He was much better with the back, he's always very unselfish, and has decreased his turnovers greatly. Also, he's starting to use his size more, although isn't fully developed there. Assuming he stays for next year, I think he'll play a significant role in our success.

scapegoat or reality ? All 3 WERE to blame for some of our early season troubles. Lammy has really come on since recovering from his injuries.

Lee well he still doesn't take the body, is not strong enough in the corners nor does he rush the pucK like I thought he was capable of last year. Joe does

have a long way to go yet, he is shaky in the open ice defensively, needs to get more physical and improve his puck movement skills, having said this .....

Congrats to Joe, this is a real nice first time award and we all like to see our players improve and earn weekly awards. GO SIOUX!

Hm... I thought the reason why we didn't win was because we weren't scoring. Good to know that we can still win without scoring. This is why I am so cynical towards some posters here. Some of you are INCAPABLE of seeing that, early in the season, we weren't good AS A TEAM. But, instead of saying defensive lapses, shoddy goaltending, bad special teams, untimely penalties, and lack of scoring were the reasons we did not do well we just pin it on Lee, Finley, and Lammy. Lee I already understand is a lost cause to many here. He's 6'3" tall and he's not Greene. That means he will suck. I'll have to accept that. Lee would have been much better if he wasn't drafted 9th overall and was Radke's size even if he did nothing else in his game better. Finley is following the path Smaby followed without as many penalty minutes. But he's not as good of an open ice hitter Smaby was so he sucks.

Whatever. Lee and Finley rock. I'm happy they wear a Sioux jersey. And I'll always root for them whenever they take the ice.

From what I saw watching Finley play 3 games (live) over the last month and what I saw in the first half of the year (2 live and some tv) he seems to have improved his play quite a bit.

Congratulations, Big Joe! I was at Friday's game and from what I saw then you deserve this. Way to go, and keep it up.

Wait a minute! Isn't this the same guy that people were saying should be shipped off to the NHL as soon as possible? Can't be the same guy! :silly: Great job Joe!!!

amazing - huh

enough with the "great job, Joe"'s from the elite here - it is tiring as a follow up from from "should be shipped to the NHL" and so very cosmetic and shallow

i hear ya but if thats how people feel then be it, out of anyones control. great to see joe get this

and remember, LOSING has a lot to do with many negative posts, doesnt mean they are wrong....dont hear much when we are winning, just how it is in any sport on any level

phil was not even close to the same goalie early, injuries have a lot to do with it but he also didnt play great early early as well, he has been GREAT since x-mas and has been a major reason we are where we are....LETS KEEP IT ROLLING SIOUX

Not too many on this board who have not eaten HUGE doses of crow the past few seasons. Safe to say that a few are getting pretty used to the taste. The personal attacks on Finley earlier in the year were bush league, period.

Not too many on this board who have not eaten HUGE doses of crow the past few seasons. Safe to say that a few are getting pretty used to the taste. The personal attacks on Finley earlier in the year were bush league, period.

its a message board, people dont all feel the same way, man that would make for a boring board, does it make it right? probably not but im sure joe can handle it if he gives 2 sh$%s which he probably doesnt :silly: and i for one think joe will be a very solid 4 year player with the sioux along with brian lee

From what I saw watching Finley play 3 games (live) over the last month and what I saw in the first half of the year (2 live and some tv) he seems to have improved his play quite a bit.

Congratulations, Big Joe! I was at Friday's game and from what I saw then you deserve this. Way to go, and keep it up.

That's a fair assessment. IMO, Joe reminds me a lot of Matt Smaby. Like Joe, Smaby had some poor play in his first year and a half at UND. However, he turned it around for the better, and we grew to really appreciate what he brought to the rink every night. Joe may not be at the same skill level as Smaby was, but it is very evident that he is making growth. I believe he'll turn into a solid defenseman, and provide great leadership to this team in the next few years, as Smaby did.

BTW, did I hear Tim Hennesey say that Finley also has been playing injured. Maybe I misheard and he said Forney. (He said this weekend that Forney was having surgery in the off season.)

ok, if so that makes joe, tj, jonathan, phil, forney...any more i missed?? nice to see the players play through the injuries, not easy, all teams go through it but by the looks of it like we are nice and healed since x-mas by the way we are playing