SiouxSports.com Forum

Dear Riley Nash

siouxnami

So its come to this...

Most 2007 recruits have now committed, and I noticed that (at least publicly) you have not. As such, I assume that there must be a few ideas you must be weighing. I think though you will find that UND is a place where you can come, enjoy, improve, and go on to a long career in the NHL when your ready. As I understand, you are also considering Denver and Cornell.

First thing first, if you have no intentions of developing over the next few years go to Cornell, East Coast hockey is a shell of it's former self, and you won't get good competition there. There is a reason why the west has dominated hockey this decade, better programs, teams, players, facilities, fan support, and simply put better hockey. For you to be considering Cornell you must be quite smart. Cornell will give you a good education, but as for hockey development, you will suffer.

Denver is a great program, with good tradition, facilities, and has been very good recently. It makes you wonder why they have such awful fan support. Not here at UND we love our team, players, & school and it shows. If the Fighting Sioux played a regional semi-final in a Subsaharan Africa war zone you can bet that Sioux fans would still be there. Denver as a city has more to offer than Grand Forks, however as a hockey town and institution Denver can't match us. What other school has alumni that will travel a few hundred mile to see a former 2nd / 3rd line forward play minor league hockey. We are crazy about our hockey team.

The city and fans are great at UND, but how about the program. Every year we improve as the season goes on and successfully replace a load of talent lost to the NHL. Not only that, but our team plays exciting creative hockey, you won't get that at Denver. If it wasn't for Wisconsin being worse, Denver would be almost impossible to watch. Forwards at UND get to be creative well having access to the best facilities in the world. Also Denver has had a nice run, but the team didn't even make the NCAAs last year. UND has been in the round of eight, 8 of the last 10 years. Here you will have a chance to play for the championship.

I've been told that you are a very creative 2 way player. Great, look at Zach Parise or Travis Zajac or T.J Oshie or Jonathon Toews, they came to UND and further developed all aspects of their game.

Good luck with your decision and we hope to here you will be coming to UND soon. BTW, if you have any doubts just give Travis Zajac a call and ask him what he thought of UND. If your at all leaning against UND, watch the final five and see what the UND program is all about, win or lose the will be there to play, and the fans will be there supporting them. I know you visited UND, but that may have been when this young team was very raw. I expect that you will realize how well this team develops talent.

P.S. Tell Derek Lee that he can't seriously be thinking about Wisconsin. Wisco is great if you want to be a career checking line forward. I don't think that Coach Eaves has ever even had 3 players total score a measly 40 points in a season as long as he has been there. He despises offensive talent.

Pile on Sioux fans, help Riley choose wisely... :)

So its come to this...

Most 2007 recruits have now committed, and I noticed that (at least publicly) you have not. As such, I assume that there must be a few ideas you must be weighing. I think though you will find that UND is a place where you can come, enjoy, improve, and go on to a long career in the NHL when your ready. As I understand, you are also considering Denver and Cornell.

First thing first, if you have no intentions of developing over the next few years go to Cornell, East Coast hockey is a shell of it's former self, and you won't get good competition there. There is a reason why the west has dominated hockey this decade, better programs, teams, players, facilities, fan support, and simply put better hockey. For you to be considering Cornell you must be quite smart. Cornell will give you a good education, but as for hockey development, you will suffer.

Denver is a great program, with good tradition, facilities, and has been very good recently. It makes you wonder why they have such awful fan support. Not here at UND we love our team, players, & school and it shows. If the Fighting Sioux played a regional semi-final in a Subsaharan Africa war zone you can bet that Sioux fans would still be there. Denver as a city has more to offer than Grand Forks, however as a hockey town and institution Denver can't match us. What other school has alumni that will travel a few hundred mile to see a former 2nd / 3rd line forward play minor league hockey. We are crazy about our hockey team.

The city and fans are great at UND, but how about the program. Every year we improve as the season goes on and successfully replace a load of talent lost to the NHL. Not only that, but our team plays exciting creative hockey, you won't get that at Denver. If it wasn't for Wisconsin being worse, Denver would be almost impossible to watch. Forwards at UND get to be creative well having access to the best facilities in the world. Also Denver has had a nice run, but the team didn't even make the NCAAs last year. UND has been in the round of eight, 8 of the last 10 years. Here you will have a chance to play for the championship.

I've been told that you are a very creative 2 way player. Great, look at Zach Parise or Travis Zajac or T.J Oshie or Jonathon Toews, they came to UND and further developed all aspects of their game.

Good luck with your decision and we hope to here you will be coming to UND soon. BTW, if you have any doubts just give Travis Zajac a call and ask him what he thought of UND. If your at all leaning against UND, watch the final five and see what the UND program is all about, win or lose the will be there to play, and the fans will be there supporting them. I know you visited UND, but that may have been when this young team was very raw. I expect that you will realize how well this team develops talent.

P.S. Tell Derek Lee that he can't seriously be thinking about Wisconsin. Wisco is great if you want to be a career checking line forward. I don't think that Coach Eaves has ever even had 3 players total score a measly 40 points in a season as long as he has been there. He despises offensive talent.

Sweet

There may have been a time twenty years ago when a UND recruiting pitch focused mainly on hockey, and not academics. That's no longer the case. To avoid retyping it, I'll copy dagies' convincing post from earlier this season:

You've covered many topics. Academics is another discussion point. UND isn't an IVY League or Big 10 school but ranks highly in many aspects. The Sioux coaches have always stressed success in academics going back through the Blais era at least.

The Aerospace program is world renowned, and the School of Engineering and Mines is also well thought of (except for they let me slip through back in 1987. I imagine they've tightened things up since then).

Here's a fairly impressive list of School of Engineering and Mines Alumni. UND may not be a "big name" school, but it's obvious that it turns out high quality engineers and managers. I'm sure there are many other names that could be added to this list. The current president of Otter Tail Power, Chuck MacFarlane is an electrical engineering graduate of UND in 1987.

In 2004 the Princeton Review listed UND as 14th on the list of top 25 Entreprenurial schools. You have to be doing something right there.

More on that ranking:

Article in the Big Red Puckhead:

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Riley Leaning?

The rumor mill churns on...Out west there is chatter that Riley Nash has eliminated North Dakota from his list. Shortly after this rumor began circulating, the Sioux picked up a commitment from Matt Frattin, the top goal scorer in the Alberta JHL. Frattin could defer until 2008, so that may simply be a coincidence. If not a coincidence, it would leave two: Cornell and Denver remaining on Riley's list. Riley ostensibly enjoyed his Denver trip and, when compared to North Dakota, the balance had appeared to tip toward the Rockies. Recently, however, rumors east and west have Riley looking toward the glorious hill above Cayuga's waters...if the financial aid package suffices.

Of course, the rumor that Riley may still head off to major junior hasn't gone away yet.

So, remain ever faithful, and keep your fingers crossed for Riley leaning Red.

So its come to this...

U should send a copy of that to their teams and maybe they will get it and read it...

And...IIRC, this has worked in the past...

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?sh...388&hl=dear

;)

Or it might have been a coincidence... :D

And this is not an NCAA violation. :) If I offered Riley free admission and drinks at a bar I own near campus, now than that would be a violation (with apparently NO consequences)... ;)

Or it might have been a coincidence... ;)

And this is not an NCAA violation. :) If I offered Riley free admission and drinks at a bar I own near campus, now than that would be a violation (with apparently NO consequences)... ;)

No way, I don't believe in coincidence... haven't you read The Secret ;)