SiouxSports.com Forum

How about some Sioux trivia!

FightingSioux98

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iirc Larose was their leading scorer (more assists than goals)

Maine had won the frozn4 the year before...their AD was a little cocky before the game and offered to set up a ticket exchange/sale for all the UND fans who would be going home early after Maine beat the Sioux...that didn't work out too well for him...

Now no cheating on this one ...

List Tony Hrkac's scoring line (G/A/Pts) in the 1987 championship game v. Michigan State.

(This season's team needs to take a lesson from this .... )

IIRC, Hrkac had only one assist, on Bob Joyce's 52nd goal of the season. So the line would be 0-1-1.

Sioux18

iirc Larose was their leading scorer (more assists than goals)

You are correct. According to this USCHO article, Schmidt called Larose for butt-ending, not spearing as I stated earlier.

Maine's chances took a broadside, however, when with little more than a minute left in the game referee Mike Schmidt assessed leading Black Bear scorer Cory Larose a game disqualification for a butt-end, putting him out of the semifinal game against North Dakota on Apr. 6. Ironically, Larose had been honored with Hockey East's Len Ceglarski Sportsmanship Award just weeks earlier.

"We've already talked about it," said Walsh. "One player does not make the Maine team. The Maine team is balance and depth. We'll play the next game without him.

"He's won some games for us. It's our job to win that game so he gets to play in the final."

1. Nobody scores when James Patrick is on the ice. (1981-83)

2. According to Wisconsin fans, Cary Eades is a goon. (1978-82)

3. Phil Sykes scored 3 goals on Kleisinger in the 1982 title game.

4. If you watch the 2000 championship celebration, Mike Commodore says Holy F--- loud and clear for all to hear on the ESPN telecast.

5. Blais said Jason Blake from the 1997 championship team was probably a better golfer than hockey player.

6. When a Niagara player ran Andy Kohler in the 2000 regional, Mike Commodore hooked the little bich and worked him over pretty good.

7. This top player for Maine did not play against the Sioux in 2000 semifinals because he received a one game suspension in the regionals; I believe it was against Michigan. Cory Larose

8. Craig Ludwig would not give up his shin pads for the hockey hall of fame.

9. Johnson and Bobyck split the majority of time with Tony Hrkac and Bob Joyce on UND's Circus line in 1987.

10. Scott Dub cross-checked UMDs Skeeter Moore in the neck and sent him to the hospital during the 1987 WCHA playoffs.

How did I do?

Sioux18

I don't remember Bobber skating with them....too many buck pitchers at the Spud, I guess.....

The line started the year with Steve Johnson on the line. Later Gino shook it up putting Bobyck on the line (for his speed I would imagine). Johnson stayed on the line in power play situations.

To fill out the power play was Ian Kidd and Mickey Krumpatich (no idea how to spell it) moving back on point.

1. Nobody scores when James Patrick is on the ice. (1981-83)

2. According to Wisconsin fans, Cary Eades is a goon. (1978-82)

3. Phil Sykes scored 3 goals on Kleisinger in the 1982 title game.

4. If you watch the 2000 championship celebration, Mike Commodore says Holy F--- loud and clear for all to hear on the ESPN telecast.

5. Blais said Jason Blake from the 1997 championship team was probably a better golfer than hockey player.

6. When a Niagara player ran Andy Kohler in the 2000 regional, Mike Commodore hooked the little bich and worked him over pretty good.

7. This top player for Maine did not play against the Sioux in 2000 semifinals because he received a one game suspension in the regionals; I believe it was against Michigan. Cory Larose

8. Craig Ludwig would not give up his shin pads for the hockey hall of fame.

9. Johnson and Bobyck split the majority of time with Tony Hrkac and Bob Joyce on UND's Circus line in 1987.

10. Scott Dub cross-checked UMDs Skeeter Moore in the neck and sent him to the hospital during the 1987 WCHA playoffs.

How did I do?

Sioux18

8/10 --nice job....Jesse Bull was supposedly the golf guru and Ian Kidd put Skeeter Moore into the hospital...nasty hit...

John Noah.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

I wondered how many hints I had to give. :(

Funny thing is, when I once interviewed Noah, I asked him about the "Johnny Apollo" referencess used about him used in the Dakota Student. He was completely unaware of them. Al Finkelstein, the newspaper's hockey writer who came up with the nickname, played goalie for the Sioux. Noah also said that they were friends in college. But apparently either he didn't read the paper much or the nickname never caught on.

Here is the list of brothers that have played for the Sioux that we've gotten so far. I thought it'd be nice to see a compiled list. I guess I can't verify all of them, but most. Any more?

Burgraff, Frank and Mike

Christian, Dave and Eddie

DePiero brothers

Drader, Larry and Daryl

Genoway, Colby and Chay

Hale, Ryan and David

Hoogsteen, Kevin and David

Johnson, Steve and Chad

Johnson, Greg, Ryan, and Corey

Jones, Matt and Zach

Lundbohm, David and Brian

Marvin, Scott and Conway

Murphy, Keith and Curtis

Panzer, Jeff and Jay

Parise, Zach and Jordan

Ulmer, Jason and Jeff

Zajac, Travis and Darcy

Here is the list of brothers that have played for the Sioux that we've gotten so far. I thought it'd be nice to see a compiled list. I guess I can't verify all of them, but most. Any more?

Burgraff, Frank and Mike

Christian, Dave and Eddie

DePiero brothers

Drader, Larry and Daryl

Genoway, Colby and Chay

Hale, Ryan and David

Hoogsteen, Kevin and David

Johnson, Steve and Chad

Johnson, Greg, Ryan, and Corey

Jones, Matt and Zach

Lundbohm, David and Brian

Marvin, Scott and Conway

Murphy, Keith and Curtis

Panzer, Jeff and Jay

Parise, Zach and Jordan

Ulmer, Jason and Jeff

Zajac, Travis and Darcy

The Connellys played together only 1 year - I believe from 2001-2002.

And if you want to get really crazy...the first brother/sister combo I know of would be Chris and Jenny Porter