SiouxSports.com Forum

Oshie, Toews, Bina trouble

proudsioux

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did your parents ever get up the courage to reveal to you which chromosomes you are missing? ???

Disclaimer: With all due respect to those with the condition.....

I Believe in this case, he or she has an extra Chromosome 21. (Trisomy 21) Google it.

You know what really chaps my ass is the fact that there are 4 other kids that got busted at Judy's how come their names aren't being released? That is b.s. in my opinion.

There names were released in one of the Herald articles about Oshie and Toews going to court.

First of all, for the boys to be drinking, underage, and at Judy's, is not all that uncommon. We have all done it and most of us have even gotten caught, even if it didn't result in arrest. That being said, when you are as highly touted as Toews and Oshie and are on one of, if not the most respected NCAA hockey programs in the country, an event like this will grab media attention; deservedly so, too. To make matters worse, these two are living in Grand Forks, North Dakota...Sioux hockey is everything and there really isn't much else to talk about in late January/early February. So, in WDAZ's defense, they are doing their job. They are reporting the news and this is the top news story in Grand Forks, the WCHA and College Hockey.

Secondly, Bina and his troubles are nothing that your average 24 year-old hasn't experienced, or at least could have with a little bad luck. To call him a "drunk" is a little premature. From what I see, the boys went out for a drink, went to Judy's because it IS low key and you CAN drink underage pretty easily. The cops learn of this, drive over, walk in, see several underage kids and start making arrests. Bina sees this, steps in after his third pitcher, probably says some things he wouldn't have on a Sunday morning at church and sees an opportunity to let a couple guys out of the back of the cop car as any good friend would.

Not a smart move, I agree, but nothing that hasn't happened before. Nothing malicious in his intent, nothing most of us wouldn't do. The media attention for the magnitude of the actual offenses is way overblown. The media attention for the offenses in Grand Forks, North Dakota, and for the top two players on the top college hockey program in the country is dead on! I don't know what UND and the program will do, but some type of punishment, most likely the missing of game(s), especially by Bina, is warranted.

While it is clear that Toews and Oshie are headed to life in hockey after college hockey (and Bina may too); the top programs in any sport are more than just manufacturers of their respective sports' athletes. They build character and teach life's lessons to the future leaders of business and society in general. In the "real world" everyone must accept responsibility for their actions and these three must, too. While many talk of doing so killing momentum that has been built in the last two months; I kind of think this may be a rallying point for the next "three steps forward" in getting the rest of the team to step up to the level that Oshie, Toews and Bina have (Duncan and Chorney, too). Remember, as long as this team finishes this seaon on a third step forward, they will have done everything expected of them, and we will all be thankful for whatever actions are taken as a result of this misfortune. Go SIOUX!

EXACTLY..........ENOUGH SAID ON THE SUBJECT.

It's been a while since I've even looked on this board. Who the heck is this "Hextall" guy? ;)

Anyway, this really is a non-story. Underage drinking in college happened yesterday and it's happening today and it's going to happen tomorrow and it's going to continue until the mentality around alcohol among college students dramatically changes. The only thing that really does change is whether or not you get caught, so it 's not news that this kind of thing goes on.

While the Bina part of it is news, he's not OJ. He did make a bad decision, but seriously we're talking about a misdemeanor with a possible punishment 10 days. That's it. I've seen far worse that did not draw the attention of TV news cameras. Granted because Bina has celebrity, people are going to notice more, but seriously it just only needs a 1-2 minute segment to say what happened and what lies ahead.

I doubt very much that Bina will get the 10 days in jail. Being part of a DI program opens up options for reformative punishments that do not involve major disruptions in day-to-day life. Being a Sioux hockey player who had just fought his way back from a frightening injury has a lot kids in the region looking up to him, so he could speak to some of them about not drinking and driving with the "I made a mistake and I'm telling you so you don't do the same" speech. We saw it with John Scott at Michigan Tech and I can only assume something similar sans the suspension occurred after the Blarney's incident in Minneapolis as Don Lucia and the Minnesota coaching staff chose not to make the punishments public.

Bina could sit out a couple of games, but I don't think it's necessary.

Some of my compatriots, who where the word 'hate' is not an exaggeration, are delighted about the bad light being cast upon your program, but don't let them get under your skin. At the very least, do let them know they're getting under your skin. It only emboldens them.

Now that you've gotten a taste of what we went through over the Blarney's thing (I will not start or get drawn into a debate on which one is 'worse'), I'll let you in on a little secret: This may be a non-story, but the Media is after anything that'll keep people talking and raise their ratings. Seeing a 25-page thread on this subject encourages them to dig into this deeper and inflate it to way bigger than it is. Settle down about it and they'll go away a lot faster.

Secondly, Bina and his troubles are nothing that your average 24 year-old hasn't experienced, or at least could have with a little bad luck. To call him a "drunk" is a little premature. From what I see, the boys went out for a drink, went to Judy's because it IS low key and you CAN drink underage pretty easily. The cops learn of this, drive over, walk in, see several underage kids and start making arrests. Bina sees this, steps in after his third pitcher, probably says some things he wouldn't have on a Sunday morning at church and sees an opportunity to let a couple guys out of the back of the cop car as any good friend would.

Not a smart move, I agree, but nothing that hasn't happened before. Nothing malicious in his intent, nothing most of us wouldn't do. The media attention for the magnitude of the actual offenses is way overblown. The media attention for the offenses in Grand Forks, North Dakota, and for the top two players on the top college hockey program in the country is dead on! I don't know what UND and the program will do, but some type of punishment, most likely the missing of game(s), especially by Bina, is warranted.

wow, all I can say is wow....to tell the truth I didn't know ANY 24 year olds w/ a DWI when I was around that age..to try and pass it off as "common"...wow

and as for possibly opening a cop car door to let your buddies out? "nothing most of wouldn't do"...again wow, the cops must be WAY more nice up in UND land, because doing that in Mpls will get you tossed to the ground and cuffed or tazered.

you can down play a lot of this as kids being kids, but seriously, if this was anyone but these kids , there would be different tones coming from UND fans.

All said and done this is getting more media attention than it realy warrants, so welcome to our hell from last year.

W

I don't know how many, if any Sioux fans, were on gpl last year enjoying the blarney's incident, but there sure are a number of skippies here. Have to love their chastising Sioux fans here. Get a life, go back to the rodent hole.

In grand forks, id say thats fairly common. My buddy is a PO and he has to deal with kids under 18 all day dealing with dui's. Thats what kids in GF do they drink and drive. Nothin else to do in this town for them.

That's bull sh&t. Kids don't drink because there's nothing else to do and it's not just a Grand Forks problem. This is a problem on every single campus across the country; as well as in high schools.

wow, all I can say is wow....to tell the truth I didn't know ANY 24 year olds w/ a DWI when I was around that age..to try and pass it off as "common"...wow

W

When we were around that age, dui's and minors were practically nonexistent, not that we didn't deserve them.

I don't know how many, if any Sioux fans, were on gpl last year enjoying the blarney's incident, but there sure are a number of skippies here. Have to love their chastising Sioux fans here. Get a life, go back to the rodent hole.

What goes around comes around. It would be wise for some people to remember that when they're having "fun" at another team's expense.

Remember they don't discuss hockey on GPL so they come here to get the truth and then get their eggs in a knot. I couldn't imagine wasting my valuable time on another team's site but such is their sad existence.

I heard that to gain entry into UMD's Penalty Box gang, you have to have a minimum of 4 DWI's on your record. Is that true?

???

That's bull sh&t. Kids don't drink because there's nothing else to do and it's not just a Grand Forks problem. This is a problem on every single campus across the country; as well as in high schools.

So why is Grand Forks North Dakota #2 in the nation in binge drinking? Only 2nd to san antonia. Id say its fairly common here.

it was a DUI, not a DWI. Just pointing that out.

As for talking about JT and TJ, they got a minor on the premises which I believe just means that they were in bar, not necessarily drinking. Someone correct me if I am wrong. But if they got it for being in the bar and not for drinking then why is it a big deal?

Robbie made a mistake and I am sure he knows that. He will get the punishment that the judge sees fit to give me. He is still a person who has gone through a lot, he does deserve to have some fun. This thread is getting old and there is nothing new about it.

Can we go back to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles discussion.

As for talking about JT and TJ, they got a minor on the premises which I believe just means that they were in bar, not necessarily drinking.

And the media has spent a week reporting it like they were acting like NFL and NBA players.

I think back to PCM point, why isn't the story of three guys getting lead away in hand cuffs more important?

Why aren't the other 4 kids cited names not available?

whats the differance between a dui and dwi

Driving Under the Influence =DUI

Driving Will Intoxicated=DWI

Out east they have OUI= which means operating under the influence.

You would have to ask one of our many lawyers what it actually means.

All I know is its not good for your insurance and you will be riding a bike to work.