SiouxSports.com Forum

Restructuring NDUS engineering programs

MplsBison

There isn't a post on this thread that you can point to showing me saying that UND engineering is good or bad or that NDSU engineering is good or bad.

I've not made those judgements and will not.

Removing duplicity was the only goal.

I consider starting Aerospace E and Biomedical E programs at the level that the U of MN has to be a fair trade for giving up EE, CE, and ME.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So your plan involves Chapman resigning? :silly:

Here are just a few of the engineering awards that NDSU has won over the last year. I believe they have done well in the solar car race and winning it a few years ago.

CIVIL ENG.

North Dakota State University civil engineering students placed first last weekend at the Midwest Regional Steel Bridge Competition for the fourth year in a row.

The seven-student team competed against eight other universities.

The overall goal of the competition is to have a light, stiff and easy to assemble bridge. The rules change each year to give students a new test.

NDSU

If we're dumping duplication, dump (teacher) Education from NDSU/VCSU.

If we really wanted, we could go wholesale into removing duplication and divide all aspects of a college into 1 of the 2 schools.

A university needs a certain base amount of departments to survive. Education is one of them.

Engineering isn't.

I'd like to see an Aerospace engineering program started at UND since they obviously have a big aerosapce program up there. Also, since UND has the med school I think everything relating to human biology should be at UND. So the biomedical engineering option at NDSU should be made into a full fledged program at UND.

The classical engineering programs (civil, industrial/manufacturing, electrical/computer, and mechanical) and agriculture engineering should be at NDSU since we're the land grant argirculture/mechnical arts school.

You realize that most of aerospace engineering relates to materials, and structures, and dynamics. To teach those you need the core courses of statics, dynamics, and material sciences, which are traditionally civil or mechanical engineering (freshman/sophomore) courses.

Plus, biomedical is now about structures, materials, electricity, and electronics. That's mechanical and electrical engineering core coursework.

By saying UND should have Aero and Bio, you're saying UND needs Civil, Mechanical, and Electrical, which, thus, negates NDSU's need to have them because they'd be ... duplicate. :silly:

Ah yes, the classic "mine's bigger" technique by "BisonDan".

If we must .... (sigh)

http://www.UND.edu/dept/sem/news/releases.html

I do particularly enjoy the release dated 05/01/06 ....

If we're dumping duplication, dump (teacher) Education from NDSU/VCSU.

I don't why you would - it doesn't say how many categories or places there were to start with. It's not a classic "mine's bigger" it's just a fact the nationally NDSU competes very well with any engineering school in the nation.

There isn't a post on this thread that you can point to showing me saying that UND engineering is good or bad or that NDSU engineering is good or bad.

I've not made those judgements and will not.

Removing duplicity was the only goal.

I consider starting Aerospace E and Biomedical E programs at the level that the U of MN has to be a fair trade for giving up EE, CE, and ME.

Those are programs UND would consider adding anyway but they need to be programs that are viable. Your posts have been fine I am just commenting that many people do not know that UND has excellent and respected engineering programs. If they were going to move programs to NDSU what would NDSU move to UND in exchange. NDSU also has excellent Engineering and it is a waste of time to start listing all of the fine things the two schools have done in Engineering. You brought up a valid point and I am just interested to know what NDSU would give to UND in order to get what they would love to have in Engineering.

Here's an interesting nugget.

A UND alum who graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering was recently the subject of an article regarding NASA. This alum (Karen Nyberg) has been working at NASA for several years and is going to be entering space in the near future. I believe she is even scheduled to be on the next mission.

Not bad for the little engineering school at UND, huh.

Not bad for the little engineering school at UND, huh.

Indeed, and as you watch that high-tech, digital television on Sunday, while chatting on the digital cell phone with friends about how the Super Bowl is progressing, just thank this UND alumnus:

Harry Nyquist was born February 7, 1889 in Nilsby, Sweden and emigrated to the United States in 1907. He spent the next ten years completing his education, including a B.S. in electrical engineering in 1914 and a M.S. in 1915 from the University of North Dakota, ...
Yeah,

Harry Nyquist, one of the pioneers of modern-day telecommunications technology and a graduate of the University of North Dakota (BSEE 1914; MSEE 1915), originally developed the sampling theorem, one of the most significant discoveries in signal processing. ... Because of the massive increase in desktop computing power during this past decade, we are just now beginning to utilize and advance Dr. Nyquist's theories in the digital image and video processing product development arena.

The world is just catching up to this UND graduate. :silly:

NDSU is not known as an Engineering school anymore than UND is.

I've worked with engineers at major companies that didn't know there was a University of ND, but know of NDSU. By the numbers of students, SU is more of an engineering school than an ag school. From my experience, engineers I've worked with from UND, NDSU, and SDSU have their !@$! together better than many from larger well known schools.

I did some time at both places. It would be a bad idea to remove any programs from either school because they each have their strong points where individuals will excel in one area or another.

I've worked with engineers at major companies that didn't know there was a University of ND, but know of NDSU. By the numbers of students, SU is more of an engineering school than an ag school. From my experience, engineers I've worked with from UND, NDSU, and SDSU have their !@$! together better than many from larger well known schools.

I did some time at both places. It would be a bad idea to remove any programs from either school because they each have their strong points where individuals will excel in one area or another.

Whew! For a while here I thought I was going to have to transfer my son to another college. I'm so happy now that I know he can get his Engineering degree at UND. :silly:

You realize that most of aerospace engineering relates to materials, and structures, and dynamics.

biomedical is now about structures, materials, electricity, and electronics.

So hire the engineering professors you need to teach these classes within the Depts. of Aero E or BioMed E.