SiouxSports.com Forum

Restructuring NDUS engineering programs

MplsBison

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all,

Reminds me of the time I enrolled in a Real Estate course at UND so I could have some information on how to buy property when I graduated from the Engineering school. On a certain day, the professor decided to discuss the costs associated with training a business graduate vs an engineering graduate due to the continuous budget concerns at a state college. He specifically stated from his business department's analysis that it cost approximately 4 times as much to educate an engineer vs a business grad. At that point, one of his business grad students spoke up in amazement..."I don't know why they don't just sell the technology they have over there to cover the costs!". The professor responded, "What technology are you talking about?". The student replied, "My roommate is an engineer and he came home last week with a pipe looking device with copper wire wrapped around it and when you hook it up to the tv it allows you to watch cable for free! You could easily sell that for $10 or more to anyone on campus or across the country!" The professor looked at the student in amazement...I raised my hand and said to the professor.."And now you know why it costs 4 times as much to train the engineer vs the business grad!". ???

BobIwabuchiFan

• 1 month later...
There is no reason IMO that both NDSU and UND should duplicate engineering programs.

I'd like to see an Aerospace engineering program started at UND since they obviously have a big aerosapce program up there. Also, since UND has the med school I think everything relating to human biology should be at UND. So the biomedical engineering option at NDSU should be made into a full fledged program at UND.

Chemical engineering should be at NDSU since we have the Polymers/Coatings program with the ME/Chem departments.

The classical engineering programs (civil, industrial/manufacturing, electrical/computer, and mechanical) and agriculture engineering should be at NDSU since we're the land grant argirculture/mechnical arts school.

No idea what to do with geological engineering since I have no idea which school's mission that department relates closest with.

I saw this posted somewhere and reminded me of this thread. I'm probably going to be banned for even opening this thread again, but I like to live dangerously.

About SEM

The University charter, in compliance with the Federal Enabling Act of February 22, 1889, which provided a land grant of 40,000 acres for the School of Mines in harmony with the Constitution of North Dakota, located the School of Mines at Grand Forks and made the School of Mines the Engineering College of the University of North Dakota. The School of Engineering and Mines offers programs in Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Geological Engineering, Geology, and Mechanical Engineering. All programs are supported by well-designed and well-equipped laboratories.

Well Mpls, you'd have to change the constitution to move the engineering out of UND. :glare:

• 2 months later...