SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux @ Gophers

Eskimos

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a party to go to so taped the game and watched it when I got home. Had no idea what the result was so lived and died with every penalty call. Almost died.

Lammy is the player of the game in my mind. He made some very big and timely saves tonite. I wish I had a bowing smiley for right here.

Bina is something else, and it's not because of his legendary (will be) goal. He was a physical animal tonite, smashing gophers all over the ice, and he's got a broken neck and too few inches on his body. Wow.

DOT line is becoming dominant. Duncan is becoming my favorite Sioux, because he's such a good sniper, and a great interview.

Had to shake my head at a few of those penalty calls tonite, namely Porter's great defensive effort to break up the breakaway, and the gopher who fell over on his own. Not to mention the non-call when Jones' stick was being held on the PK, in plain sight, and he couldn't wrest it free. I might have to apologize to The Whistler.

Never saw this weekend coming. Wow.

This just in over the news wire: University of Minnesota head coach Don Lucia said the reason the Gophers were swept by UND this weekend is because half his players believed the university's policy against playing the Fighting Sioux also applied to hockey. :glare:

This just in over the news wire: University of Minnesota head coach Don Lucia said the reason the Gophers were swept by UND this weekend is because half his players believed the university's policy against playing the Fighting Sioux also applied to hockey. :glare:

Now that is classic :glare: !!!

Had to shake my head at a few of those penalty calls tonite, namely Porter's great defensive effort to break up the breakaway, and the gopher who fell over on his own. Not to mention the non-call when Jones' stick was being held on the PK, in plain sight, and he couldn't wrest it free. I might have to apologize to The Whistler.

I've watched that play a few times now, and where Porter did get his stick around Okposo and the stick did touch him, it's hard to believe it was hard enough to make the kind of impact it supposedly did. Watching in step mode, it almost looks like that as soon as the puck got out of Okposo's reach, due to Porter's presence, and Okposo stopping skating, he took a dive. It looked a little funny the first time, but went with the benefit of the doubt, as Porter clearly got his stick in there. I knew right away it wasn't penalty shot material. It's almost as if Okposo felt Porter coming so he stopped skating just to take the penalty. If Okposo wouldn't have cut to the left like he did, and just drove hard to the net, he would have had a more clear break, or Porter would have had to take a more blatant penalty.

Potentially the best post ever on this forum!!!!!

Sorry but I can't blame the Gopher players for diving. I don't like it, but seriously, WCHA officials don't know what diving is unless it can be accompanied by an offsetting penalty. If a team wants desperately to win and knows that the officials won't call diving unless it is the world's most obvious dive (meaning he falls to the ice with no opposing player even near him and the official knows it) they're going to dive.

To be fair, I've seen Sioux players do it. They don't do it often, but they've done it in the past. With the state of officiating, I think they should do it more. Sad that I'm advocating cheap play but if we're always goign to be penalized because of it, we might as well "get in on the action."

After this week end, everyone know's we are a force to be reckoned with!! Everyone is going to be nervous about facing us AND that is going to be a factor on our side!!

Damn, our boys are awesome!!!!! I'm soooooo happy today!!!!! And all I've had to drink is tea!!!!

Sorry but I can't blame the Gopher players for diving. I don't like it, but seriously, WCHA officials don't know what diving is unless it can be accompanied by an offsetting penalty. If a team wants desperately to win and knows that the officials won't call diving unless it is the world's most obvious dive (meaning he falls to the ice with no opposing player even near him and the official knows it) they're going to dive.

To be fair, I've seen Sioux players do it. They don't do it often, but they've done it in the past. With the state of officiating, I think they should do it more. Sad that I'm advocating cheap play but if we're always goign to be penalized because of it, we might as well "get in on the action."

Have to disagree here. This falling down crap is bad for college hockey, and does nothing for the post-collegiate careers of the players doing it. I was surprised at how little it takes to knock a Gopher to the ice. And, the hitting going on last night was nothing compared to the bone-crushing shots in the NHL. Difference is, the pros don't fall down. They skate through it. This is why I think Oshie will do well at the next level; he keeps his feet moving, skating through, around, or over the opposition. Even if you buried TJ up to his neck in the ice, his feet would still be moving and he would be checking players with his head. The Zamboni itself would no doubt require extensive repairs to the blade and auger if it had the misfortune of attempting to ice over the Oshie-head.

taz

I've watched that play a few times now, and where Porter did get his stick around Okposo and the stick did touch him, it's hard to believe it was hard enough to make the kind of impact it supposedly did. Watching in step mode, it almost looks like that as soon as the puck got out of Okposo's reach, due to Porter's presence, and Okposo stopping skating, he took a dive. It looked a little funny the first time, but went with the benefit of the doubt, as Porter clearly got his stick in there. I knew right away it wasn't penalty shot material. It's almost as if Okposo felt Porter coming so he stopped skating just to take the penalty. If Okposo wouldn't have cut to the left like he did, and just drove hard to the net, he would have had a more clear break, or Porter would have had to take a more blatant penalty.

KO was diving like Robbie Earl the Dive queen.

Have to disagree here. This falling down crap is bad for college hockey, and does nothing for the post-collegiate careers of the players doing it. I was surprised at how little it takes to knock a Gopher to the ice. And, the hitting going on last night was nothing compared to the bone-crushing shots in the NHL. Difference is, the pros don't fall down. They skate through it. This is why I think Oshie will do well at the next level; he keeps his feet moving, skating through, around, or over the opposition. Even if you buried TJ up to his neck in the ice, his feet would still be moving and he would be checking players with his head. The Zamboni itself would no doubt require extensive repairs to the blade and auger if it had the misfortune of attempting to ice over the Oshie-head.

taz

Totally agree with you there, taz. I have seen one of our boys try to dive a time or two but never to the constant amount of times that I heard this week end. AND never with the same results>penalty on the other guy. I have seen them get up with an embarrased smile on their face as they tried to pretend they didn't do it.

Lucia and his coaching staff should be embarassed!!

In the second period, i believe, the gophers were crashing the net and lammy made what looked like a terrific save. If you slow it down, you can see the puck flip into the goal and land between lammy's leg and the net. Nobody saw this! THe refs were busy watching the scrums, and the gophers were busy getting their helmets pulled around their faces. The only person who saw it was a ND player, who was between the net and the ref, and he very calmly placed his stick on the outside of the net to cover up the puck from the onlooking ref. The sioux player then bends down to tell Lammy about it, probably to act cool, and proceeds to lift the goal out of the way. It could've been a big deal, but the gophs got a PP and proceeded to score a few seconds into it, so the contorversy has been wiped clean. Anybody else see this, or has it been posted already?

The only person who saw it was a ND player, who was between the net and the ref, and he very calmly placed his stick on the outside of the net to cover up the puck from the onlooking ref. The sioux player then bends down to tell Lammy about it, probably to act cool, and proceeds to lift the goal out of the way.

Quick thinking!!!

I know, I know, not good sportsmanship. If the tables were turned a Goofy player would have been jumping up and down, yelling, 'Papa Campion, Papa Campion, come look, they made a goal, Papa Campion come look.'

taz

Amen Taz. Besides, you can't teach a real, hard nosed hockey player to just start taking dives. Diving has to be taught when kids are young and growing up dreaming of playing for the mighty Gophers.

Quick thinking!!!

I know, I know, not good sportsmanship. If the tables were turned a Goofy player would have been jumping up and down, yelling, 'Papa Campion, Papa Campion, come look, they made a goal, Papa Campion come look.'

:ohmy: That's exactly how it would've happened!

I can't believe a crowd that size missed it! Wa happened?

by the way

if anyone sees doug woog this week let him know he will be hearing from my lawyers that copycat bastard

"i just came up with the DOT line" he says :ohmy::lol:

NOW WE KNOW HE IS A TROLL ON THIS SITE, :D:lol:

that would be funny

by the way

if anyone sees doug woog this week let him know he will be hearing from my lawyers that copycat bastard

"i just came up with the DOT line" he says :ohmy::lol:

NOW WE KNOW HE IS A TROLL ON THIS SITE, :D:lol:

that would be funny

Everyone wants to be a Sioux fan........ :D He's probably got his laptop sitting on the crapper surfing right now.