SiouxSports.com Forum

Favorite Senior Memories

PCM

The book will soon be closing on the college careers of three Sioux seniors who have played four years at UND. I'm interested in knowing Sioux fans' favorite memories of these players. I'll start by posting mine.

Jason Notermann

Before the puck is dropped and while the players are gathered around the goalies at their respective ends of the ice, I watch Jason Notermann's routine. He circles the group of players until everyone joins it. He then skates around the outside and touches each player with his stick before joining the big huddle. I'll miss seeing that. I'll also miss Jason's gritty play, hard work, determination and no-nonsense attitude. Jason's shorthanded goal against SCSU's Scott Meyer during the 2000 Final Five is one that stands out in my mind. It happened about 20 seconds after Meyer stoned Brian Lundbohm on a breakaway. John and Densie, thanks for raising such a good son and sending him to North Dakota.

Kevin Spiewak

The shorthanded goal Kevin scored against Maine during the 2000 Frozen Four is one on of my favorite video replays. I'll never forget the sight of him turning on the jets to get around the defender and going full tilt into the Maine zone, his black ice jersey flapping in a self-created slipstream. That effort to me epitomizes the "speed kills" mentality of Blais-coached teams. A year later, Kevin's game-winning goal against Ryan "Unscoreonable" Miller, the Hobey Baker winner that season, got the Sioux into the 2001 championship game. Kevin is also unabashedly humble about his ability. After the CC game at the REA in which he scored a highlight-reel goal, he told me, "I'm not a goal scorer." I still wonder how far my jaw dropped when he said that. ??? Dan and Karen, it's been a joy watching Kevin these past four years.

Chris Leinweber

My wife claims that Chris is the most graceful skater on the Sioux team and that's why he's been one of her favorite players the past four years. I talked to him in Providence after the Sioux won the 2000 NCAA championship. I told him that the team had us worried when they started the third period behind 2-1. He said that none of the players were worried. They knew that if they continued to work hard, they'd win. That's what confidence and hard work can do. I also remember a game against Wisconsin during which Chris made a Roche-like move to score from point-blank range. I believe the goalie was Dean Weasler, no slouch in the net. Barry and Ivy, thanks for letting your baby grow up to be a Fighting Sioux.

Good luck to all three Sioux seniors for the rest of the season and in whatever follows. You'll be missed.

Thanks Pat for the nice words about Kevin.

I remember 4 years ago at the first parent weekend, Mr. Ambrust said enjoy these years because they will be over before you know it. I sat there thinking that this is just the beginning, well it's almost over now.

We have enjoyed these years tremendously. We have had a great time in GF & other games we could make. I have met a few of you fellow posters & am glad I did.

I'm glad Kevin decided on UND. There have been both highs & lows over the last 4 years but these are what memories are made of.

I was a casual college hockey fan before, but I will always be a Fighting Sioux Fan no matter where Kevin may land up playing.

The season & his career are almost over at UND & he hates not playing in April. I hope we can all meet up in Buffalo this year.

GO FIGHTING SIOUX !!!!

Thanks PCM for your comments about Chris.

I too remember the words spoken by Mr. Armbrust. The 4 years has gone by very fast. It's hard to believe they are almost over.

There have been a lot of highs & lows over the past 4 years, but I can assure you that it has been an experience that Chris will never forget.

Thanks again.

The Leinweber's

To me, these 3...Chris, Jason and Kevin...exemplify the spirit of the Fighting Sioux. They all 3 work hard and give everything they have on the ice. Their contributions will be missed next year, but I am looking forward to a few more weekends of them on the ice. On a lighter note, I would have to say Spiewak is one the cooler names to don the Sioux jersey, it just has the cool ring to it when you scream it at the top of your lungs after a huge goal ???

Thanks guys for your hard work and dedication to the Sioux program and I wish you the best of luck the rest of the season and throughout life.

This senior class will definitely be missed. A hard working bunch who together combine for well over 300 games played over the last 4 years. Wow! A good indication of their abilities and the role they've played in Fighting Sioux hockey. If only every player could leave the program saying he helped win a national championship.

I remember my freshman year, it was the first day of my biology class, and of course I didn't know more than 3 people on campus probably. Dr. Carmichael told everyone to turn to the people sitting around them and introduce themselves in case they ever needed someone to form a study group with. A nice young man turned to me, smiled, shook my hand, and introduced himself. Once hockey season started, it took me about a month before I finally remembered why Chris Leinweber's face looked so familiar in the hockey program. ??? I've enjoyed watching Chris progress over the years and be a part of some pretty talented teams.

My thoughts/memories of Spiewak and Notermann are somewhat the same as PCM's. Their speed, grit, and again hard work. I too always watch Notermann circle the players before each game and tap them with his stick, and then watch as the last player grabs him and pulls him into the circle. He has shown incredible leadership and is having a tremendous senior year. I also remember talking about the upcoming semifinal game against MSU on the bus ride to the Pepsi Center in Albany. The big talk was the unstoppable goaltender, Ryan Miller, and I said that it would be great if the Sioux could just score right away in the first minute of the game and shake the goalie. Who proves me right, but Kevin Spiewak, blazing in and scoring just over a minute into the game. That was an electrifying game! Most recently, though, I'd have to say the game where Spiewak and Notermann each scored a shorthanded goal 14 seconds apart to spark a Sioux win was one of the best moments I've witnessed. One of the few times I came close to losing my voice. ??? They showed tremendous leadership by taking charge of a penalty filled game and deciding that the better team would win.

I hope to see more of that kind of leadership from these 3 players straight through April! ??? Good luck to Jason, Kevin, and Chris in the future, I'll definitely miss watching you in the green and white! Go Sioux! :(

I remember watching a game at Mariucci at the beginning of the season in 2000? and Roche and Leinweber were defensive pairs. My buddy and I thought they were the best pairing on the ice that night.

Sitting at the regional in Mariucci in 2000 and watching Notermann and Spiewak absolutely shut down the competition on the penalty kill was amazing. We sat there thinking, "we got these guys for 3 more years!".

Spiewak didn't score bunches of goals but seemed to come up big the playoffs.

Notermann always busting his ass, interrupting the opponents, playing physical, never backing down, always burning wherever he went....

I have tried to watch the guys skating this year too, and I have to agree that Leinweber appears to me to be SO fluid and easy on his skates.

Ah. Great memories of guys we will miss so much next year. One thing I like about college hockey is the chance to see new faces each year, and to watch how people progress.

One thing I hate is seeing some of my favorites have to leave. ???

GO SENIORS! Thanks for all the fun! ???

I don't ussually remember plays but I think of the three seniors, Kevin and Jason stick out in my mind because they were top players from game one at UND.

Kevin: Except for Panzer and Blake, I don't think I have seen a harder/faster/better skater at UND, I have been watching Fighting Sioux hockey since 1993. Just my opinion. Kevin never quits. Scores big goals at big times. I too thought the one against Ryan Miller was huge, a defining moment. Kevin plays great defense. Speedwack... I will miss him, and his sizzling plays that make you go hmmm...

Jason: Not very big but tough as nails. Jason remind me of former NHLer Kenny Linesman type player (wore #13 for the Boston Bruins). Jason really earned my respect when he wouldn't take the extra bull s... from some of the tougher guys around the league. Went toe to toe with Westrum a few years back, I thought at the time it was crazy. Didn't back down from anyone. Over the last four years I really liked the line combination of Kevin and Jason on the penatly kill or as a forward line. Where one was the other one wouldn't be too far behind on the ice... Never quits either, motorman...

Chris:

I like the fact that he stuck with it for 4 years, very commendable in my opinion. Shows a lot about his character.

My strongest Notermann memory is not even a Sioux one. I was pulling for Moorhead (as it was nearly North Dakota) in the state tourney quite a while ago, and they were playing Mayo. Matt Cullen was on the Moorhead team, and they were loaded. I didn't know much about Mayo. Anyway, in one of the most amazing third periods I've seen, Moorhead would score, then these two sophomores from Mayo would come out and take the puck right back down and score to answer. "Leimbeck to Notemann" "Notermann to Leimbeck" over and over and over. I thought: oh great, two more great players for the Gophers. Moorhead prevailed, but those two were etched into my memory then. That's why I was excited when I saw that Jason had committed to UND a few years later.

This is another can of worms, so I guess I don't want a Gopher-Sioux fight here, but I sure wish Leimbeck had come to UND, because he was a puck wizard, even in his limited appearances in college.

More later.

This is another can of worms, so I guess I don't want a Gopher-Sioux fight here, but I sure wish Leimbeck had come to UND, because he was a puck wizard, even in his limited appearances in college.

I promise not to say anything. ???

In the 2000 UND-BC championship game, the all-freshman line of Spiewak, Notermann and Ryan Hale played like forechecking maniacs. It was an awesome display of hustle and determination. Even the pro-BC ESPN sportscasters took note of their performance, especially in the final period. The harder they worked, the luckier they got.

??? Liembek is correct spelling. I think he was the best player I have ever coached. Woog once said he didn't play good defense. At the time Matt was a + 5 and the only plus player on the Gophers in his sophmore year.

Matt needed to be in a program where he would get a chance to make the kind of plays he could make.

That game he got his pocket picked by Mark Cullen and Moorhead scored to go ahead late in the third. I was sitting with Matt's dad and said Watch this now! Let's see what your kid can do. He proceeded to get the puck over the Moorhead blueline do the spinorama and slide the puck to Tony Grosso who tied the score. It was amazing. I wish he would have went to Green Bay and maybe ended up at St. Cloud or North Dakota cause he would still be playing regardless of the mindless Hammy's position..

Matt Liembek was amazing... Jason did score two goals in that game but the real story of that game was a goalie named Marc Ranfranz who was outstanding... Jason hit the post in the final seconds of regulation and another player hit the post in OT. I hope Marc has a playoff game like in the near future. ??????:(:):)

Let's Go Sioux!!! Let's Go Sioux!!!

Forecheck, weren't you the one who coined the term "spin-o-rama" for Notermann's patented move? I'm surprised you didn't mention it.

I've heard it used quite a few times, but I didn't think I named it. Then again, I can't be expected to remember all the great things I've done in my life. ?????? I've seen a lot of beautiful goals scored over the last few years, and since I couldn't name them all I just named the 2 that were a definite turning point in a game and almost lost me my voice. ???

PCM didn't give any hint of joking, so I'll assume he may have been serious, and offer my knowledge.

I was at the jersey retirement of NHLer Dennis Savard. During the ceremony and scoreboard video of highlights, he was credited with inventing the spin-o-rama (and he was damn good at it on 1-on-1 breaks). It was explained as something he came up with when he was young, and he brought it to the NHL.

I can't find any confirming evidence on the Web, perhaps it's in my NHL encyclopedia at home. Nonetheless, it's at least a 20-year-old hockey phrase.

Obligitory thread topic content:

Heartfelt thanks to all three seniors. It seems rare to have a class where the impact of each player will be missed.

I think their dads will be missed about as much as the guys. :) They are the bombdiggity. :)

??? ??? (lots of love for the Fighting Sioux Seniors)???:(

LET'S GO SIOUX!!! LET'S GO SIOUX!!! LET'S GO SIOUX!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Now that the season is officially over, I just wanted to say goodbye and thank the parents of the seniors who have frequented the site and board. I assume we won't see much of you guys anymore, but it's been great having those informed insights! We'll miss your boys on the team and seeing you here and at the games.

Notes has always been my favorite player on the Sioux because he played the game the same way I did (unfortunately I wasn't nearly as good). He had speed and the most determination of any Sioux player I have seen, and always seemed to be a leader on the ice.

Before every game flatspin and I see if we can guess the correct scoring combo for the Sioux...I always took Notes from Jones (we added the assist to make it more difficult...it was more fun that way too.), while this never actually happened the main reason was Jones wasn't on the ice at the same time, otherwise this had a very good chance.

Best of luck to Notes, Spiewak, and Leinie in thier future hockey careers. I wish we could have them back next year, but rules are rules I guess :D

Thanks a lot guys!!...ZachAttack, my sentiments exactly.

I've been following Sioux hockey since they played in the old barn. Spiewak is one of my all time favorites. All three seniors were solid hockey players but more importantly quality kids. No cheap shots, no trash talk, just hustle and hard work. Those qualities will take them far in whatever it is they decide to do. Best of luck boys and thanks for the memories.

I loved watchin the seniors play!! :p I especially liked when Notermann would do his little spin moves! :D:D They were soo cool. I remeber one time at the Canisius games(I think) he was behind the Canisius net all by himself and he did his spin move just for the heck of it!! I thought it was soo funny because I was not expecting that! My friend and I were sitting in the student section and they all stood up started cheering just to be dumb. It was great!! Also, I loved to see Spiewak flying down the ice on a breakaway!! You can't really tell how fast he is untill he does that, then his speed is very noticable. I didn't get to see Leinie play a lot but he did give a lot to the team! They will all be missed and I hope they go one to bigger and better things in their lives!

:lol: Bye ;) Bye ;) Seniors! ;)

We LOVE you guys! :lol:

I will definitely miss Nudsy and Spie busting their tales! Wow, can Kevin wheel! And Jason, no matter how big the other guy was, Nudsy would be right in his face! What a couple awesome penalty killers! I think they paired up from the first year and spent numerous penalty kills together?? We will for sure miss their presence on the ice!

Leiny....I love the kid! Will miss talking with all 3 of these guys after games, or after the pre-game skate on Saturdays!

Nudsy came up with Lundbohm over Thanksgiving this past year......man did he make me laugh! Quite the memories over the 4 years! Will miss them a bunch! I also will miss John's comments and insight into nearly EVERY player we played against! Keep in touch John, and hope to see you at some Sioux games next year!!