SiouxSports.com Forum

Circle time

sultan

They sure talk in circles at NDSU. Last week Taylor said they wouldn't play the Sioux next year in football because the dates don't match. Now he says they won't play the Sioux next year because they can't play us the years following next year and he doesn't want that to happen. And yet he says we might be able to play them in 2008 and 2009. He said the football game down the road could hurt playoff chances for NDSU. NDSU had a lot of anger towards UND when Lennon didn't play NDSU for the very " same" reason . It kind of makes the anger you have built up look a little hypocritical. NDSU was also mad at Roger Thomas. Just to remind you, Roger hasn't been here for quite some time.(years) Your basketball teams can't fit UND into the schedule either. I guess it's to hard to work around Valley City and Mayville games. Let's face it. Taylor should have the guts to admit it. They aren't playing the Sioux because they are being petty. Amy Ruley doesn't want to play the Sioux because they would get hammered. Why would NDSU want to have a sellout for basketball game when they get between 600 and 1600 people for most games. Maybe Taylor apparently doesn't have to worry about the bottom line financially. Maybe NDSU could buy out the Valley City game for maybe a 100 bucks. Frankly, I could care less if we ever schedule the bison again. Although I have to admit I do miss kicking some bison butt.

They sure talk in circles at NDSU. Last week Taylor said they wouldn't play the Sioux next year in football because the dates don't match. Now he says they won't play the Sioux next year because they can't play us the years following next year and he doesn't want that to happen. And yet he says we might be able to play them in 2008 and 2009. He said the football game down the road could hurt playoff chances for NDSU. NDSU had a lot of anger towards UND when Lennon didn't play NDSU for the very " same" reason . It kind of makes the anger you have built up look a little hypocritical. NDSU was also mad at Roger Thomas. Just to remind you, Roger hasn't been here for quite some time.(years) Your basketball teams can't fit UND into the schedule either. I guess it's to hard to work around Valley City and Mayville games. Let's face it. Taylor should have the guts to admit it. They aren't playing the Sioux because they are being petty. Amy Ruley doesn't want to play the Sioux because they would get hammered. Why would NDSU want to have a sellout for basketball game when they get between 600 and 1600 people for most games. Maybe Taylor apparently doesn't have to worry about the bottom line financially. Maybe NDSU could buy out the Valley City game for maybe a 100 bucks. Frankly, I could care less if we ever schedule the bison again. Although I have to admit I do miss kicking some bison butt.

Valley City & Mayville were 2 schools that have ties to NDSU and scheduled us during our transition period. Besides fb why didn't UND schedule NDSU in anything during that period? Why should we help you with your transition? There's no upside to NDSU except in bb. attendance and that's only 2 games. Our fb attendance is close to selling out (over 16,000) and if we get into the gateway will be real close to selling out. Have fun!! :ohmy: PS: Don't you have USD as a partner or do you?

Valley City & Mayville were 2 schools that have ties to NDSU and scheduled us during our transition period. Besides fb why didn't UND schedule NDSU in anything during that period? Why should we help you with your transition? There's no upside to NDSU except in bb. attendance and that's only 2 games. Our fb attendance is close to selling out (over 16,000) and if we get into the gateway will be real close to selling out. Have fun!! :ohmy: PS: Don't you have USD as a partner or do you?

Didn't UND and NDSU continue to play in Baseball for one year. I remember something about a lopsided UND victory in the last game and then NDSU refusing to schedule UND the next year.

Kolpack weighs in with the unofficial NDSU response. So I guess it makes sense in Taylor's eyes to "punish" UND based on the alleged actions of ex-a.d. Roger Thomas? Even if one were to take Kolpack's accusations as being true--and I don't know the whole story--how much sense does it really make to engage in petty revenge? Frankly, I'm fine with not playing NDSU. I'm fine with playing NDSU. I just would like to see the schools' administrators bury the proverbial hatchet already.

Kolpack weighs in with the unofficial NDSU response. So I guess it makes sense in Taylor's eyes to "punish" UND based on the alleged actions of ex-a.d. Roger Thomas? Even if one were to take Kolpack's accusations as being true--and I don't know the whole story--how much sense does it really make to engage in petty revenge? Frankly, I'm fine with not playing NDSU. I'm fine with playing NDSU. I just would like to see the schools' administrators bury the proverbial hatchet already.

Sure it's fine to bury the hatchet now that UND will need games. No, you made your bed now sleep in it. NDSU is doing great without UND, we'll see if same can be said for UND. :):ohmy:

The thing I wonder about is why don't the Bison want to play us. They preach how great of a university they are and how petty the sioux were when we didn't schedule them (which we were). Well they now have a choice between being just as petty as us or taking the high road and scheduling us. Apparently they are willing to take the first choice. I thought they would like the second choice better as they claim to be so great and outstanding.

No, you made your bed now sleep in it.

Coincidentally, that was Gene Taylor's official response to UND A.D. Tom Buning when he expressed interest in renewing the rivalry on the football field last summer. That is really a much better reason than UND gave for not continuing play prior to the 2004 season which expressed their desire to protect the best interests of the University and its student-athletes for the sake of making the playoffs and the pursuit of a National Championship. :D

Outside of football i'm not sure why the rivalry would end. I looked back and from what I can tell there were no games between the two schools once NDSU made the transition.

Actually, they did play in baseball after NDSU made the transition. They had an agreement to play in 2005 and 2006. But after UND soundly thumped NDSU in 2005, NDSU quickly pulled the plug on the 2006 match-up.

They were not scheduled in men's basketball for the same reason that they were not scheduled in football: because it would have a negative effect on the chances to make the playoffs. Rich Glas had struggled in his final years at UND, and he was not interested in playing any DI programs with the "on-the-bubble" type of squads he was fielding in his last years at UND.

From NDSU's perspective they were mad that we left them out to dry and now it looks like they will return the favor.

Don't be so sure. With Montana St. pulling out of this year's game against NDSU in Fargo, Gene Taylor is scrambling to find two more home games for the upcoming season. There are not alot of programs lining up to get the chance to come to the Geographical Center of North America for a game on 8 or 9 months notice when schedules are often filled 2-3 years in advance. With Tom Buning's eagerness to renew the rivalry, I wouldn't at all be surprised to find the Sioux on the 2007 NDSU schedule.

And on a side-note, the last time I heard Tim Miles on KFAN, he was asked about UND's impending move to DI and his response was: "Bring 'em on!". New A.D., new head coach............stranger things have happened.

sticks and stones.... Tell me why all the interest now in playing NDSU when it didn't bother you back in 2004,5,6? Was UND being petty back in 2004?

There is plenty of blame to go around by everyone involved. Roger Thomas was petty about some things when it came to "some" sports. Like I said before, Roger Thomas doesn't work for UND anymore. He hasn't for quite some time. That is old news. I also said I could care less if UND ever plays NDSU again. Fortunately or unfortunately there a lot of people from both sides of the fence that want the games to continue. It is time for a lot of people to grow up and start acting like adults.