SiouxSports.com Forum

State of the Season

dagies

I was out of town this weekend so just caught up on the board here. Thanks to my host SoDak Sioux Fan for allowing me a quick post after Saturday's game. I had another Scotch and water to toast the victory....

From what I have read in media stories and on this board here are my impressions of things at this time.

Goaltending: Lammy has given up 5 goals in 4 games. Nice. Hakstol says he's healing up and coming around. It looks like the Sioux have a chance to get that consistently good to very good goaltending we're all hoping for down the road. We'll see if that pans out, but the recent results are a definite improvement over the most of the first half of the year.

Defense: Even without 2 of our better defenders the Sioux held CC to 17 shots on Saturday, and were effective enough over the last 4 games to give the Sioux a chance to win, even with an anemic offense. Certainly goaltending is a cog in the defensive effort, but I don't think it should be overlooked that the Sioux gave up 4 real shots over the last 40 minutes of Saturday's game. This also has to be a testamant to responsible forwards. If the Sioux can continue to limit the opponents opportunities and good scoring chances, they give themselves a chance to win every game. See Wisconsin the last couple of years. Yes, I don't expect the Sioux will be that dominating on goals-against, but a strong effort in that area puts the team in a much better situation than it was in most of the first half. That's the way I see it, anyway.

Another positive point is the apparent improvement in play of Big Joe Finley. Both Fabian and I think Hakstol appeared to be very complimentary of Joe's play this weekend. Fabian said he played "big and tough". Isn't that what we've wanted? If Big Joe and keep it up, that's another area of improvement we fans have been looking for.

Offense: The Sioux continue to struggle to find goals, but other than Friday's game the Sioux have gotten important goals from several non-front line scorers. Obviously this trend must continue, with more forwards chipping in.

The VandeVelde line appears to be getting better and better from what I read.

I think there's a good chance that Toews will come back as a renewed player with more confidence. I doubt we should expect to see a WJT tourney performance from him every night, but isn't it possible that a resurgent Toews might help elevate everyone's game? It will be tougher for Toews as he will be playing against older and more seasoned players than he was at the WJT, but at the same time he appears to have figured it out. I'm looking forward to seeing how his return might affect some others.

A month ago I was lamenting the fact that the Sioux had average goaltending, average defense and average or worse offense. The only decent part of their game seemed to be the PP. The Sioux have now won 3 of 4 (albeit not against top 5 teams) without much of their top PP unit. The team now appears likely to have solid to above average goaltending, good enough defense, and still a chance at an improving offense.

I think there's reason for optimism. There's lots of season left, but little that can be wasted.

Yeah, well, that's been well documented here. I thought it wouldn't hurt to throw out some positives for all you Negative-Nellies.

Thanks for analysis Dagies. I'm looking forward to a great 2nd half of the season. All of the pieces are there. Execute and win. Go Sioux !!!

who can play with toews ?

to make him a scoring threat (or assist threat) for us ? Have all the line possibilities been tried ?

I still say this is a different team & should (at times) slow it down more & control the puck & get better scoring opportunities - instead of, just go faster than the other team & hope it goes in , or hope thay can control it good enough to get a shot (let alone a quality shot) or have someome ready to put in a rebound.

I'm so tired of every team we play - their goalie plays like they are a NHL Goalie of the yr :silly: - either we are not getting quality shots or enough shots or were the unluckiest team the Sioux have ever had ? ? ?

we seem to be finally playing better in the 2nd period - which has kept us in the game or at least within a goal of tieing or winning

So were playing better ---But I'm afraid so are most other wcha teams ....especially the goofers :D:huh: & How about SCSU :D

who can play with toews ?

to make him a scoring threat (or assist threat) ? Have all the line possibilities been tried ?

I still say this is a different team & should (at times) slow it down more & control the puck & get better scoring opportunities - instead of, just go faster than the other team & hope it goes in , or hope thay can control it good enough to get a shot (let alone a quality shot) or have someome ready to put in a rebound.

I'm so tired of every team we play - their goalie plays like they are a NHL Goalie of the yr :silly: - either we are not getting quality shots or enough shots or were the unluckiest team the Sioux have ever had ? ? ?

we seem to be finally playing better in the 2nd period - which has kept us in the game or at least within a goal of tieing or winning

So were playing better ---But I'm afraid so are most other wcha teams ....especially the goofers :D:huh: & How about SCSU :D

A little more offense from Porter/Watkins/Kozek would be nice - a lot more offense from Zajac, Forney and VV would be even better.

Just as a thought, when Toews comes back why not stick him with one of the lines thats not scoring. Maybe with VV and Forney. Not because he is a forth line player, but rather to try to improve the depth of scoring and prevent him from always playing against the top defensive pairing and best defensive forwards.

Edit: Yes I realize none of the lines are really scoring...

I was out of town this weekend so just caught up on the board here. Thanks to my host SoDak Sioux Fan for allowing me a quick post after Saturday's game. I had another Scotch and water to toast the victory....

From what I have read in media stories and on this board here are my impressions of things at this time.

Goaltending: Lammy has given up 5 goals in 4 games. Nice. Hakstol says he's healing up and coming around. It looks like the Sioux have a chance to get that consistently good to very good goaltending we're all hoping for down the road. We'll see if that pans out, but the recent results are a definite improvement over the most of the first half of the year.

Defense: Even without 2 of our better defenders the Sioux held CC to 17 shots on Saturday, and were effective enough over the last 4 games to give the Sioux a chance to win, even with an anemic offense. Certainly goaltending is a cog in the defensive effort, but I don't think it should be overlooked that the Sioux gave up 4 real shots over the last 40 minutes of Saturday's game. This also has to be a testamant to responsible forwards. If the Sioux can continue to limit the opponents opportunities and good scoring chances, they give themselves a chance to win every game. See Wisconsin the last couple of years. Yes, I don't expect the Sioux will be that dominating on goals-against, but a strong effort in that area puts the team in a much better situation than it was in most of the first half. That's the way I see it, anyway.

Another positive point is the apparent improvement in play of Big Joe Finley. Both Fabian and I think Hakstol appeared to be very complimentary of Joe's play this weekend. Fabian said he played "big and tough". Isn't that what we've wanted? If Big Joe and keep it up, that's another area of improvement we fans have been looking for.

Offense: The Sioux continue to struggle to find goals, but other than Friday's game the Sioux have gotten important goals from several non-front line scorers. Obviously this trend must continue, with more forwards chipping in.

The VandeVelde line appears to be getting better and better from what I read.

I think there's a good chance that Toews will come back as a renewed player with more confidence. I doubt we should expect to see a WJT tourney performance from him every night, but isn't it possible that a resurgent Toews might help elevate everyone's game? It will be tougher for Toews as he will be playing against older and more seasoned players than he was at the WJT, but at the same time he appears to have figured it out. I'm looking forward to seeing how his return might affect some others.

A month ago I was lamenting the fact that the Sioux had average goaltending, average defense and average or worse offense. The only decent part of their game seemed to be the PP. The Sioux have now won 3 of 4 (albeit not against top 5 teams) without much of their top PP unit. The team now appears likely to have solid to above average goaltending, good enough defense, and still a chance at an improving offense.

I think there's reason for optimism. There's lots of season left, but little that can be wasted.

I'm not a hockey coach, and I don't play one on TV, but ... I think a part of what happens the rest of the way is what to do with Brian Lee. He is a great kid, with great vision and good size. But he has been a defensive liability in long stretches, and does not seem to possess a defensman's mentality. It seemed he saw less ice time at WJT as it progressed, so someone there saw it that way, too, maybe?

I had the impression he was still one of our top six D-men, but maybe after the CC series, we could be OK moving him. What I mean by that is maybe the Sioux should consider trying Lee as a winger in 5 on 5 and PK situations, keeping him on the point for the PP, where he excels. He is not afraid to go in the corners. He presents a big body for the other team to try to move from in front of the net setting screens and forcing the goalie to work harder to find the puck (something the Sioux have been very poor at this year, and it must improve for them to succeed regardless of what they do with Mr. Lee) and he has good enough hands to put away rebounds.

Am I way out in left field here? Possible, I know!

Yeah, well, that's been well documented here. I thought it wouldn't hurt to throw out some positives for all you Negative-Nellies.

Sorry, I missed the disclaimer stating constructive criticism was forbidden. That being said, I suspect Negative-Nellies and Homers are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I find myself somewhere in the middle, dare I say... a realist?

Sorry, I missed the disclaimer stating constructive criticism was forbidden. That being said, I suspect Negative-Nellies and Homers are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I find myself somewhere in the middle, dare I say... a realist?

nothing wrong with constructive critisism at all............GO SIOUXXXXXXXXXXXX

I'm not a hockey coach, and I don't play one on TV, but ... I think a part of what happens the rest of the way is what to do with Brian Lee. He is a great kid, with great vision and good size. But he has been a defensive liability in long stretches, and does not seem to possess a defensman's mentality. It seemed he saw less ice time at WJT as it progressed, so someone there saw it that way, too, maybe?

I had the impression he was still one of our top six D-men, but maybe after the CC series, we could be OK moving him. What I mean by that is maybe the Sioux should consider trying Lee as a winger in 5 on 5 and PK situations, keeping him on the point for the PP, where he excels. He is not afraid to go in the corners. He presents a big body for the other team to try to move from in front of the net setting screens and forcing the goalie to work harder to find the puck (something the Sioux have been very poor at this year, and it must improve for them to succeed regardless of what they do with Mr. Lee) and he has good enough hands to put away rebounds.

FYI - At the WJ, he was playing with the 1st PK unit that was pretty successful in the medal round - not the PP - Chorney got time on the PP.

Way way out in left field.

I thought with the "Negative-Nellies" thing maybe someone would try and have a sense of humor about it. I was trying to.

FYI - At the WJ, he was playing with the 1st PK unit that was pretty successful in the medal round - not the PP - Chorney got time on the PP.

Way way out in left field.

I can accept that. I love hockey, especially Sioux hockey. I am at most home games. I am not a hockey expert.

I can accept that. I love hockey, especially Sioux hockey. I am at most home games. I am not a hockey expert.

No problem.

Lee just needs to play like he did to make the USA Jr team as a HS player, win Mr. Hockey in Minnesota, get drafted in the 1st round in the NHL, and most importantly, be offered a scholarship to play at UND.

I agree with what dagies said.

As for Finley- YAHOOOOO!!!! If he keeps this up, I MIGHT be entitled to an "I told you so" type comment. :silly:

As for Lee- I was intrigued to see Lee on the PK unit with the World Junior team, seeing as he is a defensive liability. :D

In any case, I think Lee just needs confidence. He'll be fine.

Hey, leave her out of this. :silly:

aahead1.jpg

As far as the season, I think the team really needed the win at CC. Whether they build on it, or continue to flounder remains to be seen. But I see some glimmers of hope. :D

Nope I have thought the same thing myself, Lee plays offense and has been caught up ice a few times over the course of the seaosn and I believe he could be used up as a forward. Lee like you said isn't affraid to go into the corner and get the puck. I would think why not play him as a forward?

Here's my two cents worth - I'll admit to being a "Negative Nelly" as of late for reasons we won't get into. I see a surge of hope among fans after this weekend - not necessarly because of a split, but because most people see a return to "Sioux Hockey" - the hardnosed, intense kind that we love. I hope we can build on this over the comming weekend. Here's my idea of what needs to improve now that our goaltending and defense seem to be getting with the program. What concerns me is the lack of scoring - I know that it has been mentioned many times before, but I was still shocked when I looked at our season stats so far. Other than Duncan - here are our top scorers and their output:

Miller - 7 goals

Oshie - 5 goals

Watkins - 5 goals

5 tied with 4 goals

This is after 22 games - these stats scare me. If anyone would have predicted these numbers at the beginning of the year he would have been laughed off the board. I know that we have much more talent than the numbers show - I'm not sure what should be done to get our offense going. Remember - even though we split this week, we scored only two goals total. Is it chemistry? Offensive scheme? lack of intensity? poor bounces? - I don't know. I'm sure the coaches are working on this as well. I hope we find the key soon. If we can unlock the offense, we can play with anyone - if not, I'm afraid that the best we can do is split with the better teams. I hope we can open the floodgates soon - Almost every weekend I think "this is going to be the weekend we score in bunches". I know we can turn this around - however, the clock is ticking.