SiouxSports.com Forum

Dean Blais to NDSU?

Smoggy

Dave Starman talked about Dean during the DU-UW game last night on CSTV. He said the rumor going around the WCHA is that if NDSU can get the program together, Dean will be coaching them as he's probably going back to the college ranks. He then mentioned that NDSU would probably have to start in the CHA, but the hope would be to get in the WCHA.

Dave Starman talked about Dean during the DU-UW game last night on CSTV. He said the rumor going around the WCHA is that if NDSU can get the program together, Dean will be coaching them as he's probably going back to the college ranks. He then mentioned that NDSU would probably have to start in the CHA, but the hope would be to get in the WCHA.

Can Dean coach Football???

PLEASE! This is just stupid! ndsu has as much interest in DI hockey as Joe Chapman has in becoming a speedo model...if Deano is willing to guide them through the CHA...he must REALLY be desperate to get back to college hockey :D

As I recall...the "progressive" residents of Fargo have turned down the last 2 arena proposals on the ballot...Fargo has never been and WILL never be a Hockey town! :silly:

I recall an interview with Dean a few years ago when asked how he felt about the possibility of NDSU developing a DI hockey program. His responce was "Good, that will just be another sport we will kick their ass in." That sentiment probably still exists and I believe that CSTV was reaching for something that will most likely never happen.

that would be sweet if UND could pick him up as an assistant or something...not that i want any coaches gone. im actually very impressed that the team is coming around finally. blais could be a hell of a coach after some nhl experience.

I recall an interview with Dean a few years ago when asked how he felt about the possibility of NDSU developing a DI hockey program. His responce was "Good, that will just be another sport we will kick their ass in." That sentiment probably still exists and I believe that CSTV was reaching for something that will most likely never happen.

The odd thing is that they brought it up during the UW-DU game. It was right after they were talking about the trivia question of the WCHA winning 12 straight NCAA tournaments. While I don't think NDSU is starting anything, my gut is telling me they must be putting some feelers out to the WCHA for a rumor like this to start circling all the way to CSTV. Like Starman or hate it (that would be me), the guy has info on NCAA hockey.

I was talking the other day with someone in the NDSU athletic office (not by choice... a friend of a friend sort of thing). We were talking d1 sports. We talked about the Gateway football thing and then I asked him why NDSU hasn't made any moves towards starting a hockey program. He said the following, and I quote:

"We need a new arena. Our facilities just aren't up to par."

then I said...

"are there any options out there for a new arena?"

he said...

"yea, we have a few things going on. We're not there yet but if all goes well the wheels we'll start looking into a conference."

Basically if NDSU gets a stadium they will start a program (men's and womens).

The odd thing is that they brought it up during the UW-DU game. It was right after they were talking about the trivia question of the WCHA winning 12 straight NCAA tournaments. While I don't think NDSU is starting anything, my gut is telling me they must be putting some feelers out to the WCHA for a rumor like this to start circling all the way to CSTV. Like Starman or hate it (that would be me), the guy has info on NCAA hockey.

The only two teams I would like to see in the future WCHA are, Mighty Beavers andMighty Ducks Hey a guy can dream on the second one. :silly:

PLEASE! This is just stupid! ndsu has as much interest in DI hockey as Joe Chapman has in becoming a speedo model...if Deano is willing to guide them through the CHA...he must REALLY be desperate to get back to college hockey :D

As I recall...the "progressive" residents of Fargo have turned down the last 2 arena proposals on the ballot...Fargo has never been and WILL never be a Hockey town! :silly:

It looks like the financing for a new 4 sheet complex is almost done in Fargo. This will include a main 4000 seat arena that will be for youth, high school and junior hockey (NO COLLEGE). Cost for the main rink is around $20M and $30 for the whole complex. This plan has the support of the park and school boards.

IMO, this is the just what hockey in fargo needs. 4000 is the right size, it might be perfect for EDC. The Ralph is empty during regionals and absolulty no atmosphere.

Hopefully it gets done, rumors are that close to $15M is already raised!!!

Wouldn't NDSU need

- a college capable facility

- the funds for a program (mens and womens, Title IX)

- to appease the staunch "football only, no hockey" folks in TeamMakers

first?

I don't think it will happen for a long time, if ever at NDSU. Although I love to see new DI hockey programs and would watch some NDSU hockey if it ever happened. IMO I don't think NDSU can affoard to start mens and womens program from scratch. Maybe if they could start another womens program instead of hockey, as UND knows, womens hockey is a drain on funds.

If timing is everything, much to the dismay of Bison hockey supporters, right now is not the time to get two varsity sports added to NDSU.

With current varsity teams still trying to find conferences to compete in, and the overall transition to Division I still a work in progress, the addition of NDSU men

You know......I was channel surfing and caught that remark on CSTV too. I thought I heard it wrong because my teen age son was whining in my ear at the same time and there is no way NDSU would be considering hockey. I thought nothing more of it until I saw this thread here.

I can't imagine NDSU looking at another DI sport that would require a very costly facility given the fact that we have to get a decent basketball arena built. To even consider hockey at this stage of our DI transition would be foolhardy at best. Right now the focus has to be on Bison Basketball.

Screw NDSU...UND should grab him if he is available...sorry Hak, but no-one can beat the Riverboat Gambler....

Except Boston College in 2001, 1999 and Michigan in 1998 and just about everybody in 2001-02.

This isn't meant to be a rip on Blais who is my favorite Sioux head coach and a legend of Sioux hockey. But Blais teams that were dominant in the last part of 1990's tanked at year end, and no one seems to remember the struggles of the early 2000's other than 2000-01.

You know......I was channel surfing and caught that remark on CSTV too. I thought I heard it wrong because my teen age son was whining in my ear at the same time and there is no way NDSU would be considering hockey. I thought nothing more of it until I saw this thread here.

I can't imagine NDSU looking at another DI sport that would require a very costly facility given the fact that we have to get a decent basketball arena built. To even consider hockey at this stage of our DI transition would be foolhardy at best. Right now the focus has to be on Bison Basketball.

I have had this conversations numerous times with a huge financial benefactor to NDSU. He claims that everytime hockey is brought up, the pieces of the puzzle just does not add up for NDSU. He claims that NDSU needs to seek out their own identity and they want to establish this by concentrating on FB and BB which appeals more to the masses. His theory on collge hockey is that is does not appeal to masses across the county which is hard to argue with. He also mentioned how difficult it would be to recruit against established programs much less UND. He compared it to MSU Mankato recruiting against the U of M. The impression I got from him is that it is talked about but in reality this not going to happen in the near future. So with no plans on paper and no facility being built in the near future, I do not believe Dean Blais will applying for this job.