SiouxSports.com Forum

Hirsch kicked off Gophers

Chuck Schwartz

So during the 1st intermission Tim Hennesey talked to a guy from INCH. They got to talking about Hirsh.

The one interesting quote is that this guy quoted John Hill as saying they won't be as good on the ice but they'll be a better team.

That doesn't sound to me like they dismissed him for being ill.

He also discussed a number of rumors going around the league that Hirsh was a problem and didn't take practice and things seriously.

I think that undercuts the "don't talk about it" crowd a bit.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So during the 1st intermission Tim Hennesey talked to a guy from INCH. They got to talking about Hirsh.

The one interesting quote is that this guy quoted John Hill as saying they won't be as good on the ice but they'll be a better team.

He also discussed a number of rumors going around the league that Hirsh was a problem and didn't take practice and things seriously.

Even assuming that Hill was quoted accurately, I think you're reading too much into this. Isn't it possible that Hirsch's mental problems -- whatever their cause -- had become a team problem? I fail to see how this proves or disproves anything about Hirsh's mental state.

Cant we all just agree that I am the asshole? Seems to work at my family gatherings :lol::lol:

As for me being rumor police, I normally dont care I have been around too long but considering what came about the last time Tyler was an issue (4 alarm flamefests on multiple boards and lots of speculation on his health and attitude...much like in here) I just figured it would be easier to wait until he was actually dismissed before any board explodes. In all seriousness I was not trying to tell you how to run your board or whatever I was just making a suggestion. I apologize if I offended anyone.

As for my post count...way back in the day I posted on here for a few months, I was not well received :lol:

On the topic of Tyler, there is all sorts of things that lead to the dismissal. The game last Friday where he dogged it was the final straw. It is too bad, but believe me while his mental issues are part of it, he brought a lot of this on himself.

Anyways again I am sorry about my posting earlier.

Cant we all just agree that I am the asshole? Seems to work at my family gatherings :lol::lol:

As for me being rumor police, I normally dont care I have been around too long but considering what came about the last time Tyler was an issue (4 alarm flamefests on multiple boards and lots of speculation on his health and attitude...much like in here) I just figured it would be easier to wait until he was actually dismissed before any board explodes. In all seriousness I was not trying to tell you how to run your board or whatever I was just making a suggestion. I apologize if I offended anyone.

As for my post count...way back in the day I posted on here for a few months, I was not well received :lol:

On the topic of Tyler, there is all sorts of things that lead to the dismissal. The game last Friday where he dogged it was the final straw. It is too bad, but believe me while his mental issues are part of it, he brought a lot of this on himself.

Actually...no...it wasn't the final straw

Even assuming that Hill was quoted accurately, I think you're reading too much into this. Isn't it possible that Hirsch's mental problems -- whatever their cause -- had become a team problem? I fail to see how this proves or disproves anything about Hirsh's mental state.

I would think that if he was dismissed because of illness that you wouldn't be claiming that you're a better team without him. You'd be saying that you hope for the best for Mr. Hirsh.

I would think that if he was dismissed because of illness that you wouldn't be claiming that you're a better team without him. You'd be saying that you hope for the best for Mr. Hirsh.

Um, did you read the official statement from the U of M re:this issue? Secondly, when asked about this issue Lucia replies with "We wish Tyler the best and have nothing more to say regarding this issue." I've heard it multiple times. Tyler helped the Gophers to a nat'l championship and was their leading scorer 2 years ago and this year, they aren't going to throw him under the bus. Moreover, the U's hands are tied over this, it's the family that decides what info comes out. So not only is it unseemly for the coaching staff to comment, they could get in legal hot water if they did.

My conclusion, I highly doubt that Hill commented. If he did, it was a mistake. He shouldn't even say that the team may be better without Tyler, even if it's true. It's obvious that Tyler's behavior would have team ramifications, why say it?

You obviously didn't listen to the interview too closely, because Hill made it clear that he wasn't saying that Tyler's health condition wasn't coming into play with all of this. Do you expect a mental illness to only effect a person during games? I've worked with kids with emotional disabilities now for a number of years, and sadly I must say, it effects their ENTIRE life, not just their school life. I don't think the interview really gave us too much more information, other than that Tyler is a free agent now, and may choose to play pro hockey in the future. It's time to let this one go unless new, more clear details with this incident are released by Tyler or his family.

To heck with Hirsch, he was probably given one more chance than he deserved and he proved that he is a waste of talent. I don't feel one bit bad for guys like Hirsch that don't appreciate what they have. Hats off to Lucia for dumping this guy.

I think it's very clear that a mental illness is coming into play in some way, shape, or form here. You're obviously either too blind to see this or you're the kind of guy (or girl) who gets his kick in watching someone with a disability struggle in life. We're not back in the 1970's anymore. There are a lot more identified disabilities than those people diagnosed with "Mental Retardation." Where Tyler is an adult, he's also going through some tough years on trying to find out who he is as a person. You know Tyler's had tough years in the past, which was a clear mental condition of some sort, but for whatever reason, you can't see how these incidents are related??? We don't know the entire story, and we need to just let it go with what the Hirsch family and the U of M has released.

Um, did you read the official statement from the U of M re:this issue? Secondly, when asked about this issue Lucia replies with "We wish Tyler the best and have nothing more to say regarding this issue." I've heard it multiple times. Tyler helped the Gophers to a nat'l championship and was their leading scorer 2 years ago and this year, they aren't going to throw him under the bus. Moreover, the U's hands are tied over this, it's the family that decides what info comes out. So not only is it unseemly for the coaching staff to comment, they could get in legal hot water if they did.

My conclusion, I highly doubt that Hill commented. If he did, it was a mistake. He shouldn't even say that the team may be better without Tyler, even if it's true. It's obvious that Tyler's behavior would have team ramifications, why say it?

Are you calling the guy from Inside College Hockey a liar. I've already had one person who was listening to the hockey game on the radio confirm what I reported as far as the interview.

You obviously didn't listen to the interview too closely, because Hill made it clear that he wasn't saying that Tyler's health condition wasn't coming into play with all of this.

I don't recall that being said at all. In fact I'm pretty sure that the INCH said he had no idea whether or not Hirsh's other problems contributed to this. ***Update***Hill was not part of this interview that I'm talking about so Hill couldn't have made anything clear.***

Some questions for you that are so sure it's because of an illness.

1. What do you have to go by besides speculation? If you can speculate why can't others?

2. Were they lying when he said he was over that problem?

3. Is it appropriate to diagnose someone you've never met even if you are board certified?

4. Could a person have a bad attitude(or have lost the drive to compete) in addition to a problem that's under control?

5. What's meaner, claiming someone's mentally ill (with no cause) or saying that he has a bad attitude(or have lost the drive to compete) at this stage of his life?

6. Do you think Tyler Hirsh is reading this forum so that speculation will be hurtful to him? If that's the case do you think that people shouldn't discuss the issue at work or at home?

I might come up with some more questions, but that's a good start.

I think it's very clear that a mental illness is coming into play in some way, shape, or form here. You're obviously either too blind to see this or you're the kind of guy (or girl) who gets his kick in watching someone with a disability struggle in life. We're not back in the 1970's anymore.

No this is the 21st century where people feel free to label someone as mentally defective with no knowledge of the facts.

Are you calling the guy from Inside College Hockey a liar. I've already had one person who was listening to the hockey game on the radio confirm what I reported as far as the interview.

I don't recall that being said at all. In fact I'm pretty sure that the INCH said he had no idea whether or not Hirsh's other problems contributed to this. ***Update***Hill was not part of this interview that I'm talking about so Hill couldn't have made anything clear.***

1. What do you have to go by besides speculation? If you can speculate why can't others?

3. Is it appropriate to diagnose someone you've never met even if you are board certified?

4. Could a person have a bad attitude(or have lost the drive to compete) in addition to a problem that's under control?

5. What's meaner, claiming someone's mentally ill (with no cause) or saying that he has a bad attitude(or have lost the drive to compete) at this stage of his life?

6. Do you think Tyler Hirsh is reading this forum so that speculation will be hurtful to him? If that's the case do you think that people shouldn't discuss the issue at work or at home?

Here's one for you? Why do people think that mental illness is something you take a pill for and it goes away or like a broken ankle that heals with time. It is not something that you can turn on and off and decide how it affects your life? Most mental illness is not a "problem" that you "get over". As Siouxdonyms has said, unless you have first hand experience, you really have no idea how mental illness can impact all areas of your life.

Hirsh's problems were documented after the Final Five incident. The comment that maybe he "got over" that problem and now maybe just has a bad attitude shows a complete understanding of the issue.

That said, go ahead and speculate and ask more questions. Some of the comments on this thread would have pissed me off a few years back. However, you deal with them enough, you just get to the point where you write them off as people spewing about something they know nothing about.

I suggest you take the advice of the band Switchfoot, "Let it go, Daisy let it go"

Here's one for you? Why do people think that mental illness is something you take a pill for and it goes away or like a broken ankle that heals with time. It is not something that you can turn on and off and decide how it affects your life? Most mental illness is not a "problem" that you "get over". As Siouxdonyms has said, unless you have first hand experience, you really have no idea how mental illness can impact all areas of your life.

Hirsh's problems were documented after the Final Five incident. The comment that maybe he "got over" that problem and now maybe just has a bad attitude shows a complete understanding of the issue.

That said, go ahead and speculate and ask more questions. Some of the comments on this thread would have pissed me off a few years back. However, you deal with them enough, you just get to the point where you write them off as people spewing about something they know nothing about.

Did I say mental illness is something that's easy to deal with? Where did I say it? Now that we're out of it I should point out that I never bashed Mr. Hirsh and have always maintained that I wish for the best for him. I am saying that there is some evidence saying that this was a problem not related to his previous problems.

Once again the fact is that this is all speculation and that's all it's going to wind up with.

Perhaps when all of this is said and done we'll agree that we don't know what the story is, but that on balance we should give him the benefit of the doubt and wish him the best.

What I don't get is the mental health side going nuts when they don't have any basis to judge the current issue. To hear someone diagnose a problem with never meeting the guy makes me really question their judgment.

"Mentally defective?" What exactly does that mean Einstein??

I have no idea. I'm not diagnosing the guy as I've never met him.

My first comment on this thread was as follows:

No one who's posting here seems to know if Tyler's dismisal from the team is because of attitude or illness, so why bash either side?

I still stand by that. I'm not going to bash a guy, when it's a very high possibility of his past coming into play here. Perhaps my last post on this topic did sound as if I know that Tyler's condition is related to a mental illness. I don't know, and I apologize if that's how it was interpreted. However, we as fans, don't know the entire story so why should we speculate on it?

It's a good possibility. Or perhaps, board certified doctors cleared him and said he was "good to go" which is why that was released. However, relapses occur regularly with people with mental instability.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't recall every seeing anyone officially diagnose Tyler. It is no secret that he does have a history of mental instability, and that is what people are arguing, and that it is a good possibility that these two incidents are related.

Anything is possible, but it goes back to my first post, we don't know all the facts.

If their was total evidence that this was because of a bad attitude, I, and many others I'm sure, would be right alongside you in your argument. However, no one knows for sure if this is a result of attitude or his past.

Again, anything is possible. This is the world wide web we're talking about. I love hockey so I surf the net to find mutliple things related to the sport of hockey.

Thank you for answering. The bottom line is we don't know why and may never know.

if I had a guess, Hirsch probably had a small problem that Drs and Psychiatrists tried to solve using meds. Most of his problems probably came from switching meds/doseages to find the right course of action. Very hard deal, but don't count him out yet.

if I had a guess, Hirsch probably had a small problem that Drs and Psychiatrists tried to solve using meds. Most of his problems probably came from switching meds/doseages to find the right course of action. Very hard deal, but don't count him out yet.

Only Tom Cruise can help him now...

Out with the gophers is a no brainer. Unless the guy transfers hes done.

Cant we all just agree that I am the asshole? Seems to work at my family gatherings :D:silly:

As for my post count...way back in the day I posted on here for a few months, I was not well received :D

It's interesting that you needed to police our board but had nothing to say about the same rumors being floated on GPL. Start there, then I have no problems if you want to come over here....