SiouxSports.com Forum

Jonathan Toews

Rick

Pierre McGuire 12/27/2006 6:03:09 PM

One of the reasons that I love Jonathan Toews so much is the fact that he's the ultimate competitor. He can win face-offs - like he did in the first period Wednesday against Team USA in a 5-on-3 situation. He can score goals

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your going to set the Goofer fans off again. That is a sore spot with them.

You're not going to get much of an argument from me. IMO, comparing the Gophers hockey program to UND's program is like splitting hairs. They are very similar in many ways and both have a tremendous rich hockey tradition.

You're not going to get much of an argument from me. IMO, comparing the Gophers hockey program to UND's program is like splitting hairs. They are very similar in many ways and both have a tremendous rich hockey tradition.

Yeah you have a point. :huh:

Yeah you have a point. :huh:

Of course I have a point. Even when I am wrong I am right---wish I could convince my wife of that fact ???

In all seriousness, look at the track record of both of these squads and it is pretty remarkable. Both teams have about the same number of WCHA titles and WCHA playoff titles, both have an ungodly number of NCAA tourney appearances, a proven track record in post-season play, both are putting players into the NHL on a regular basis, both teams are receiving a good majority of national press. All told there are many many many college programs which would settle for 1/10 of the success of Minnesota and UND

Of course I have a point. Even when I am wrong I am right---wish I could convince my wife of that fact :huh:

Well that doesn't fly at the Goon's house, the dog and the wife run the house. ??? I am just lucky to live there.

I always get the last word "yeah but"...

Wow, your sensible... :ohmy: I'm not sure this place is for you... :D

Sioux fans are very fortunate. Every year we wonder how we will ever replace guys like Patrick, Hrkac, Parise, Zajac or Toews. But the coaches always come up with guys who take the program to another level.

Yes. We are very fortunate that this year's guys have been able to take us to the lower level of the WCHA.

Yes. We are very fortunate that this year's guys have been able to take us to the lower level of the WCHA.

You can't hang that on Jon Toews. Maybe the coaching staff, the other players, etc., but not him. This kid is special and you will miss him when he's not here. In my opinion, he's the most talented player in the WCHA. He just doesn't have enough players around him this year. That will be apparent next year when you see what he does in the NHL.

You can't hang that on Jon Toews. Maybe the coaching staff, the other players, etc., but not him. This kid is special and you will miss him when he's not here. In my opinion, he's the most talented player in the WCHA. He just doesn't have enough players around him this year. That will be apparent next year when you see what he does in the NHL.

It's apparent by what he's doing in the WJC.

It's apparent by what he's doing in the WJC.

There is some truth to that. The Sioux are not nearly as deep at forward this year and that has put a lot of pressure on Toews and Oshie. Plus Toews has had some injury issues in the first half as well. I expect him to pick it up a couple notches in the second half. Last year we had two very dangerous lines. Oshie-Spirko-Zajac and Stafford-Toews-Duncan. This year we just don't have the firepower on that second line to take the pressure off the top line.

And another. Toews finds light at the end of the tunnel in time for world juniors

After his lacklustre performance in a loss to Wisconsin to start a weekend series against the Badgers, North Dakota coach Dave Hakstol decided was time for a heart-to-heart with one of his star players.

"He dragged me in his office and said, 'Just go out there and play and be the kid that you were when you were lighting it up in Pee Wee and don't worry about anything,"' Toews recalled.

"I just did that. I didn't score in the next game, but I had a great game and came to camp in Calgary and I've been much more confident ever since."

Toews, who has two goals and an assist in three games, carries an intensity in his eyes, which don't blink or look away when he speaks to you.

"That ferocity . . . I'm looking at him right across the hallway right now and he's still got that look in his eye," linemate Ryan O'Marra said. "He's intensely focused.

Looking forward to Towes back in a Sioux uniform.

toews article, sorry if its a repeat

http://tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_story/?...canadian_hockey

After his lacklustre performance in a loss to Wisconsin to start a weekend series against the Badgers, North Dakota coach Dave Hakstol decided was time for a heart-to-heart with one of his star players.

"He dragged me in his office and said, `Just go out there and play and be the kid that you were when you were lighting it up in Pee Wee and don't worry about anything,"' Toews recalled.

"I just did that. I didn't score in the next game, but I had a great game and came to camp in Calgary and I've been much more confident ever since."

Front page of Chicago Blackhawks

very nice. hes getting a lot of great ink.........

His face was bloodied on his first shift of the World Junior Hockey Championship but that wasn't about to stop Jonathan Toews from doing what he does best for Canada's National Junior team.

Toews is a key player on the Canadian juniors and the Blackhawks' first round pick, third overall, last June, is the embodiment of Canadian hockey. He is an unselfish player who does what it takes to win.

"He is probably a coach's dream and he will be a coach's dream in the NHL," said Canada's Head Coach, Craig Hartsburg. "He is very intense and he wants to do what is right for the team and he practices the same way. He comes to practice to improve. He comes to practice to get better and he is just going to get better and better because of it."

After playing minor hockey in Winnipeg, Toews went to the elite Shattuck St. Mary's prep school in the United States. He led the team in scoring in his second year, with 110 points in 63 games, and Shattuck St. Mary's won the U.S. national Under-18 title. His next stop was the University of North Dakota, and he is in his second year with the team.

"Shattuck St. Mary's was an important part of my life. That's where I really learned how to be part of a team," he says. "Everyone on that team when we won a championship had a role. We rolled four lines and everyone was going and that is where I learned to have that attitude for whatever team I played for."