SiouxSports.com Forum

minnesota

Fetch

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can play FSU and CMU because they are off the NCAA's naughty list. At least that is the reasoning they'll use. It will be interesting to see what happens if UND gets off the naughty list too.

Since you asked:

A settlement or a verdict in UND's legal case may prompt the Minnesota committee to reconsider its policy, Hartmann said, but he said he's not sure where the chips would fall.

"I'm not sure which way the committee would go on that," he said. "The language now is to strongly discourage those games. It might get restated that same way; some might push to strengthen it further; and some might want to loosen it up. That committee has students, student-athletes, faculty and alumni, so people are coming from all over the place on this issue."

This was my favorite part:

Hartmann said his primary goal is to keep Minnesota out of a controversial debate in which he believes it doesn't have a stake.
Umm, then why have this policy again?

They can play FSU and CMU because they are off the NCAA's naughty list. At least that is the reasoning they'll use. It will be interesting to see what happens if UND gets off the naughty list too.

Just because we may get off the NCAA's "naughty list" doesn't mean our offensive name will condoned by them. If UND should win, and that is a big "if", it doesn't mean anything will change except that we will be using an offensive name in post season play. And, you can bet that the NCAA will appeal, costing us even more money.

If UND should win, and that is a big "if", it doesn't mean anything will change except that we will be using an offensive name in post season play. And, you can bet that the NCAA will appeal, costing us even more money.

That statement is so full of FAIL. However, I am glad you're worried about where others' money is spent in this endeavor. That's mighty generous of you. :silly:

No one will play us, the lawsuit is costing us a fortune, and no, I still won't donate as long as the name remains.

Well, that's not really true. I don't think Iowa will play us and Minnesota and Wisconsin won't play us in football, basketball and other sports. But they will play us in hockey. When you say "no one", who are you referring to beside those three?

Also, can you tell us how much UND is missing out on when you say you won't donate as long as the name remains. You don't have to be precise, but would it be in the $10K - $50K range, $50K - $100K range, or >$1MM this year? And what do you estimate it would be in your lifetime? $10MM.......$100MM or more?

I'd just like to know how badly I should feel that UND is losing you as a big donor.

Yes, I can see that by siding with the knee-jerk liberals on this issue you're staying out of a "controversial debate". Of course, if you had swung over to the other side, then you'd be right in the middle of the controversy, but this way you've stayed out it. Good thinking. :silly:

"Doesn't have a stake"?? I think as an NCAA member, you're on the other side of a lawsuit that could cost you a few dollars. Like it or not, Minnesota does have a stake.

BTW, Iowa was so hung up on their policy that they ignored it for years: and they actually played the Bradley Braves at least once after their "ironclad" policy was put into effect. The Iowa administration cancelled the remaining games and paid off the contract once the Iowa student government called them out on their noncompliance. Wisconsin (and perhaps Minnesota too) has a backbone of balsawood on this issue. They claim an exemption for postseason play (including bowl games in football) and somehow they played Florida State in basketball during the regular season last year too. I have a feeling the exemptions are based mostly on dollars and television exposure.

But who am I to say that? I'm sure that when the Badgers played Florida State they sent over a really nasty note to the coach, expressing solidarity with those poor, oppressed, downtrodden Seminoles who were ready to be a party to any lawsuit brought by FSU against the NCAA.

Well, that's not really true. I don't think Iowa will play us and Minnesota and Wisconsin won't play us in football, basketball and other sports. But they will play us in hockey. When you say "no one", who are you referring to beside those three?

Also, can you tell us how much UND is missing out on when you say you won't donate as long as the name remains. You don't have to be precise, but would it be in the $10K - $50K range, $50K - $100K range, or >$1MM this year? And what do you estimate it would be in your lifetime? $10MM.......$100MM or more?

I'd just like to know how badly I should feel that UND is losing you as a big donor.

What do you think I am, Ralph?

An e-mail I sent to the head of the athletics advisory committee at the University of Minnesota. I will let you know if he answers. I would have also sent this to Joel Maturi but it is quite obvious that he is a powerless figurehead.

Mr. Hartman,

Are you aware that your men's basketball team is scheduled to play both the Central Michigan CHIPPEWAS and the Florida State SEMINOLES in November?

The last time I checked neither of these schools are in the Big Ten or have any conference affiliation with the University of Minnesota?

I think it should fall on your shoulders to walk into coach Tubby Smith's office and let him know that in order to maintain some sense of integrity at the University of Minnesota and to avoid looking like a bunch of hypocrites that you will have to forfeit these games. Tough break, but policy is policy.

I was also thinking about picking up some University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX apparel this year, but was wondering if you could advise me as to what merchandise will be on sale this year at Mariucci arena as you had such a great selection to choose from last year!

Sincerely,

Mike Peterson

An e-mail I sent to the head of the athletics advisory committee at the University of Minnesota. I will let you know if he answers. I would have also sent this to Joel Maturi but it is quite obvious that he is a powerless figurehead.

Mr. Hartman,

Are you aware that your men's basketball team is scheduled to play both the Central Michigan CHIPPEWAS and the Florida State SEMINOLES in November?

The last time I checked neither of these schools are in the Big Ten or have any conference affiliation with the University of Minnesota?

I think it should fall on your shoulders to walk into coach Tubby Smith's office and let him know that in order to maintain some sense of integrity at the University of Minnesota and to avoid looking like a bunch of hypocrites that you will have to forfeit these games. Tough break, but policy is policy.

I was also thinking about picking up some University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX apparel this year, but was wondering if you could advise me as to what merchandise will be on sale this year at Mariucci arena as you had such a great selection to choose from last year!

Sincerely,

Mike Peterson

Succinct and very good. What's his email address? I think I'll send him one too.

What do you think I am, Ralph?

No, I was just trying to get a feel for what UND is missing out on, so I'll ask again with lower numbers.

Is it <$10, $10 - $100, $100 - $1K, $1K to $10K? Again, I'm just trying to get a feel for the impact your withheld donations will have on UND.

Also, please list the schools you're referring to when you say "no one" will play us?

No, I was just trying to get a feel for what UND is missing out on, so I'll ask again with lower numbers.

Is it <$10, $10 - $100, $100 - $1K, $1K to $10K? Again, I'm just trying to get a feel for the impact your withheld donations will have on UND.

Also, please list the schools you're referring to when you say "no one" will play us?

A whopping 3 -- MN, WI and IA. Besides these, aren't there like hundreds of other colleges that have athletic teams? I thought so but I'm not so sure now given the assertion that "no one will play us." I thought I heard that there were universities in Fargo, Ankeny, IA, Lincoln, NE, Norman, OK, etc. etc. Can someone confirm or deny the rumor?

A whopping 3 -- MN, WI and IA. Besides these, aren't there like hundreds of other colleges that have athletic teams? I thought so but I'm not so sure now given the assertion that "no one will play us." I thought I heard that there were universities in Fargo, Ankeny, IA, Lincoln, NE, Norman, OK, etc. etc. Can someone confirm or deny the rumor?

Obviously there are still teams to play. But we must acknowledge that these are not just three random schools half way across the country. These are the three closest Big Ten teams, three of the four closest BCS conference teams, and two existing rivalry schools. This is a significant blow to DI scheduling, but it is true that it is only three schools.......for now.

Yes, that's the point I was trying to make.

You're being very generous when you include the AC in Fargo as a university. :silly:

No, I was just trying to get a feel for what UND is missing out on...
I can tell you this much: AFAIK, our professor who was sending out "information" to HS recruits in an effort to sabotage our athletic programs has not donated even a penny to the Athletic Department since Chief has been retired. Not even the cost of the stamps he no longer has to buy. But OTOH, a group of the men who have protrayed Chief down thru the years have gotten together to fund a scholarship for Native American HS students who wish to attend Illinois.

I don't think Dartmouth will play us in football, remember that stupid remark when they scheduled us in hockey? I would add them to the list, of course we would crush them and any other Ivy League school in football.