SiouxSports.com Forum

Can you be too Fast ?

Fetch

I know this team & Hakstol, likes speed ("Speed Kills") & if they were scoring thats Great ! But maybe the speed thing is actually not working (at times Killing us)?

Their shots & passes are not clicking - Many great opportunities have been missed because they seem in too big of a hurry & can't finish ? ? ? & as many say, those that sit around me, GO TO THE NET ! with the shots ASAP - seems we always go to the corner or there is always a hesitation before a shot by the D men (How many of our shots have been into a opposing player & a opportunity lost ? (LOTS)

Opposing teams always shoot every chance they get & slop in alot of their goals

I know the cycling thing in the corners, does eventually work (proven the past couple of yrs) - Or did they just start going to the net more ? - But it (Cycling the puck) can sure drive us (the Spectators/ Fans NUTS) & so far this yr it is not overly working :silly:

Maybe this team is suited towards another style of play ?

I don't think you can ever be "too fast", if your guys are clicking. Right now, it seems youth, inexperience and perhaps some intangibles are gumming up this team on both ends of the ice. Hopefully, they'll work it off and play like they really can before the season gets too far along.

I don't think you can ever be "too fast", if your guys are clicking. Right now, it seems youth, inexperience and perhaps some intangibles are gumming up this team on both ends of the ice. Hopefully, they'll work it off and play like they really can before the season gets too far along.

Exactly.

Could it be called in a cliche like fashion that most of the team is in a sophomore slump? Or is that something different?

Too fast, that's like saying "man I'm gettin' way too much action,I wish my old lady wasn't such a nympho," or "man I have way too much money, I just don't know what to do with all of it." Sorry man, I get what you mean, just trying to lighten things up a little around here. :silly:

God I like the way this guy thinks. :silly: Yeah there are things that you don't want to be fast in.

I know this team & Hakstol, likes speed ("Speed Kills") & if they were scoring thats Great ! But maybe the speed thing is actually not working (at times Killing us)?

Their shots & passes are not clicking - Many great opportunities have been missed because they seem in too big of a hurry & can't finish ? ? ? & as many say, those that sit around me, GO TO THE NET ! with the shots ASAP - seems we always go to the corner or there is always a hesitation before a shot by the D men (How many of our shots have been into a opposing player & a opportunity lost ? (LOTS)

Opposing teams always shoot every chance they get & slop in alot of their goals

I know the cycling thing in the corners, does eventually work (proven the past couple of yrs) - Or did they just start going to the net more ? - But it (Cycling the puck) can sure drive us (the Spectators/ Fans NUTS) & so far this yr it is not overly working :lol:

Maybe this team is suited towards another style of play ?

First, no, you can never be too fast. The best Sioux teams were built on speed. See Blake, Hoogsteen, Parise, Smail, etc.

Second, that is particularly true with Olympic sized ice and the stricter enforcement of the rules.

Finally, this team is not very fast. Fabian, Forney, Lee, Vandevelde and many others do not have good speed. Kozek has good speed, but poor hands and no instincts. Porter is fast. Toews is smooth and above average speed. The lack of speed is one of the problems. Jordy Christian would have been an excellent fit.

OK but if your forcing too many guys, who are not Fast, to try & be fast - isn't that a problem ?

I'm not sure that I understand your post. The reality is that the Sioux don't really have an identity. They are not like the Blais teams of the late 90's and earlier this decade which were built upon speed, passing, quick transition and an up tempo type of game. The Sioux have a few of those guys (very few), but too many role players that are big and slow and are not suited to an up tempo game like UM plays. The defense is neither physical nor very talented offensively. Honestly, I'm worried about this team. Other than Toews, Oshie, Duncan, Chorney and maybe Lee, I don't see a lot out of the younger guys. I see a lot of 3rd and 4th line guys from this year's class and even last year's class. I would like to see even more faster skaters like Panzer, Blake, Hoogsteen, etc. On defense, if we are not going to have guys with offensive skills like Goligoski and Ballard, why not get the bigger, punishing defense like Greene, Commodore, Matt Jones, etc.? Finley is big, but doesn't use his size and doesn't have quick enough feet to keep up with faster forwards. Jones and Bina try to be physical at times, but get walked way too often. I like Chorney, but he has no physical compliment on D. Lee has talent, but does play physical enough. It's as if he can't decide whether he's a finesse player or a physical player. Radke has speed and plays physical, but gets himself out of position too much.

Speaking of speed, I was wondering who is the fastest player in college hockey right now? Anyone know?

Where does Watkins compare to others, anywhere near the top?

Hard to say, but Tim Hennesey has said a number of times that Chris Porter is the fastest Sioux skater.