SiouxSports.com Forum

Football Verbals

The Walrus

Most athletes receive their paperwork in the mail and need to have them sent back to the school for signing day. If you had a very prized recruit, they may hold a press conference.

Thanks for the info.So what happens if they do get more kids commiting then they have scholerships for?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info.So what happens if they do get more kids commiting then they have scholerships for?

Generally, I think they approach each class by the team's needs by positon. I would imagine it would look like the NFL draft board where they list each player at their position and offer the top prospects first. During the course of the recruiting period, it likely becomes apparent who may be leaning away so they move on, etc. I am not all that surprised by the 24 verbals so far as there were a number of seniors leaving the program.

Verbal confirmed....

Ben Hicks

Pine Creek H.S., Colorado Springs

6'1" 195 #

4.7 Forty

300 Career Tackles

Other schools Montana State, Colorado University, Drake, Really liked his visit to UND and Committed

Cody Rose / Update, has decided to attend the University of Wisconsin.....

Hats off to the UND Coaching Staff, A great effort and I feel a great class of young men coming in, We got a lot of great speed at the corners.....Good size and athleticsm in our line recruits.....A group of hungry and aggresive linebackers.....and some very Talented Skill position players.

As in every year you do not always get what you want, but I feel we got more than we expected.....and as always the young men we get seem to do more than most because of their heart and desire, these are the young men we have always recruited and gotten at UND.

Once again congrats coaches and incoming players, nice job.

Now if only the higher ups? Would let Dale put together his own schedule, I'm looking forward to a great future for Sioux Football....GO SIOUX!!

So what the hell happened with Veldman? What possessed him to go up the river?

According to an article in the St. Cloud Times, it came down to the fact that NDSU is approaching being playoff eligible, and UND has its period of playoff ineligibility coming up. I understand this, and the truth of the matter is that the same issue probably helped UND win some recruiting battles with NDSU in 2004 and 2005. We'll be at a disadvantage for a few years for some of the top local kids because of the lack of playoff opportunities, but there are plenty of good players out there.

I know this has been discussed, but will UND become playoff eligible in 2011 or 2012?

2007-08 - exploratory year (1 of 5)

2008-09 - 2 of 5

2009-10 - 3 of 5

2010-11 - 4 of 5

2011-12 - 5 of 5

2012-13 - playoff eligible

PS - This system is good for student-athletes because the NCAA is all about student-athletes. :lol:

It's not to protect UND's student athletes, it's to protect the student athletes at other DI schools from UND's student athletes..

Consider this hypothetical scenario:

school X, a DII school, signs a bunch of superman athletes who were unable to qualify academically with the DI standards but were able to qualify with the DII standards.

school X moves up to DI the next year and is then able to compete at the DI level with the supermen for 4 years, even though those kids should've never been at the DI level due to their low academics.

Essentially, it weeds out the DII academic guys so the school is working with only DI qualifiers when they start official DI play.

It's not to protect UND's student athletes, it's to protect the student athletes at other DI schools from UND's student athletes..

school X, a DII school, signs a bunch of superman athletes who were unable to qualify academically with the DI standards but were able to qualify with the DII standards.

school X moves up to DI the next year and is then able to compete at the DI level with the supermen for 4 years, even though those kids should've never been at the DI level due to their low academics.

Essentially, it weeds out the DII academic guys so the school is working with only DI qualifiers when they start official DI play.

So if said DII school sets their academic standards at our above the DI level, they should be exempted from the probationary years?

That's all well and good in theory, but in reality those dI "standards" aren't apparently all that difficult to get around in terms of getting academically-challenged "student"-athletes into a dI school. The Cincinnati basketball program under Bob Huggins would seem to have been a prime example of that.

You wouldn't be saying some student-athletes are 'better' or deserve more protection than others, would you?

It should take, at worst, two years to certify your athletes are to the new standard. Five years is a business, not an academic or student-athlete based, decision.

(I'm not arguing with you. I'm arguing against the current procedure.)

So if said DII school sets their academic standards at our above the DI level, they should be exempted from the probationary years?

You'd think that'd be the case if the justification was 'academics' based.

If the justification for "five years" is something else, say 'business decision', they probably would not waive it.

They don't waive it.

You decide.

That's all well and good in theory, but in reality those dI "standards" aren't apparently all that difficult to get around in terms of getting academically-challenged "student"-athletes into a dI school. The Cincinnati basketball program under Bob Huggins would seem to have been a prime example of that.

Although I've been an FSU fan for years, I can't recall a year where at least one starter is declared academically ineligible for the bowl game after the end of the first semester.

According to an article in the St. Cloud Times, it came down to the fact that NDSU is approaching being playoff eligible, and UND has its period of playoff ineligibility coming up. I understand this, and the truth of the matter is that the same issue probably helped UND win some recruiting battles with NDSU in 2004 and 2005. We'll be at a disadvantage for a few years for some of the top local kids because of the lack of playoff opportunities, but there are plenty of good players out there.

http://minnesota.scout.com/2/616620.html

I guess, at this point, it'd be more of a backlash from current DI schools who had to wait 5 years but could've easily done the 2 year academic proving thing.

NDSU, for example, could've probably done that. But we had to wait our 5 years.

I guess it's about the same as paying your dues.

I don't think it will change.