Sioux add another Big Receiver....

Verbally Committed..

John Carruth

6'6"

220#

Wide Out

Eden Prarie H.S

Eden Prarie, Minnesota

I believe he was second-team all-metro at tight end and he sounds like a good prospect. I just hope this doesn't mean we won't be getting Veldman.

Veldmen from Becker is definetly the TE you want, UND will be his 1st visit this weekend....lets hope

I think Dale Lennon and Steve Veldman (Matt's uncle) played four years together at UND. Hopefully Steve enjoyed his time here, and vouches for what a quality individual Dale is.

I've seen Solum play both live and on TV. What jumps out at me consistently is the demeanor in which he carries himself. Sure, he's not horse big, or blindingly fast, but he carries himself like a winner. Guys like that are always ones you want and they make people around them better.

I do think he is a good guy to have on your team, but I don't think he's worth a full scholarship on a I-AA team right out of high school. D-2, sure give him a ride, but for higher than that he's not a 25 carry/game running back, and he doesn't have Dressler speed. Offer him a partial or sell him on the opportunity to walk on and earn a spot on the field, then the full ride. I too, have seen him on TV, live, and live on the basketball court, and there is no way on God's green earth he is either 5'10 nor 195. If you put him on the rack he may reach 5'9, and he's 180 dripping wet. There's nothing wrong with being undersized if you have Dressler type speed, but he doesn't. I suppose that's why the AG school refused to let him play offense.

There's nothing wrong with being undersized if you have Dressler type speed, but he doesn't.

People love numbers, size, speed, whatever. But if you went strictly 'by the numbers' UND's top hockey goal scorer this year doesn't belong on a DI rink (5'6", <160).

You can make up for 'numbers' by knowing how to play. I'll keep Dunc and stay happy with Catlin at UND. :lol:

People love numbers, size, speed, whatever. But if you went strictly 'by the numbers' UND's top hockey goal scorer this year doesn't belong on a DI rink (5'6", <160).

You can make up for 'numbers' by knowing how to play. I'll keep Dunc and stay happy with Catlin at UND. :lol:

I agree. Let's also keep in mind that even Dressler wasn't considered to be super-fast until his senior year of track, AFTER he signed with UND. Prior to that, he was still a great football player, and a pretty good 800 meter runner, but not really a sprinter. Maybe Solum will get faster over the next few years (not that he's slow--he qualified for state in the 100 as a soph. and jr.); or maybe he plays faster than his 40 time would suggest. Regardless, I think he was the best skill position player in ND this year, and I'm very pleased that he'll be playing for the Sioux.

I agree. Let's also keep in mind that even Dressler wasn't considered to be super-fast until his senior year of track, AFTER he signed with UND. Prior to that, he was still a great football player, and a pretty good 800 meter runner, but not really a sprinter. Maybe Solum will get faster over the next few years (not that he's slow--he qualified for state in the 100 as a soph. and jr.); or maybe he plays faster than his 40 time would suggest. Regardless, I think he was the best skill position player in ND this year, and I'm very pleased that he'll be playing for the Sioux.

Keep in mind Jerry Rice/Terrel Davis only ran a 4.7 40. People put way too much stock in numbers these stays and that is why you are seeing way more busts in the NFL draft now because some guy runs a 4.3 40 but can't cover anyone or catch a cold. I know these are examples of NFL but in general people get wrapped up in numbers way too much. Yeah, there is a difference in 4.5 and 4.7 but if the 4.7 can switch directions without losing the speed then give me the 4.7 guy.

Keep in mind Jerry Rice/Terrel Davis only ran a 4.7 40. People put way too much stock in numbers these stays and that is why you are seeing way more busts in the NFL draft now because some guy runs a 4.3 40 but can't cover anyone or catch a cold. I know these are examples of NFL but in general people get wrapped up in numbers way too much. Yeah, there is a difference in 4.5 and 4.7 but if the 4.7 can switch directions without losing the speed then give me the 4.7 guy.

Case in point--a certain Viking receiver drafted 7th overall a couple of years ago. :lol:

Per the MinnesotaPreps website, a JUCO nose guard just committed to UND. It did not give a name.

I also have heard that a defensive player from Hibbing CC has committed, although I don't know his name or position. I believe Hibbing is coached by ex-UND player Kurt Zuidmulder.

There have been no reported verbals in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know who we have had in lately and where we stand with some of the top recruits we are after?

Something better happen pretty soon on verbals. I see NDSU is picking up prime players every day. Is someone in the front office not letting any info escape, or is UND being snubbed by the high school seniors because of the D1 move and no play offs?

Something better happen pretty soon on verbals. I see NDSU is picking up prime players every day. Is someone in the front office not letting any info escape, or is UND being snubbed by the high school seniors because of the D1 move and no play offs?

UND has at least 11 known verbal commitments right now, even with no new ones in a couple of weeks. That's a lot, compared to how many known commitments there have been at this time in most years. From everything I've heard, recruiting is much easier this year than it was last year because now the coaches can definitely tell prospective recruits what division UND will be playing in, unlike last year when it was still unclear whether or not the dI move was going to happen.

UND has an excellent group of kids already commited (10). That is the same number listed in the Forum today that the AC has. This is the earliest I can remember we have had 10 kids committed and it looks like all ten kids are quality recruits. Word is this is looking like a banner year. Don't forget UND has typically not used the media to release this info by "leaking it" . I have read that both schools are looking to get about 15 kids.

There's mention of a JUCO, but no name. Here are names people have used here so far:

Brock Bellmore DL West Fargo, ND

Dan Hendrickson LB Minot, ND

Drew Daggett WR Frazee, MN

Chris Anderson WR Duluth, MN

Josh Murray RB Pepin, WI

Brent Goska QB/DB Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Code Rose QB Elmwood, WI

Kris Ankenbauer DB Plano, TX

Tru Nguyen LB Burnsville, MN

Catlin Solum RB Fargo, ND

John Carruth WR Eden Prairie, MN

Sioux get a another verbal....

Brandon Quesenberry

6'4"

260 llbs

offensive lineman

Billings West, Montana

All State in football and track (shotput)

One of the super elite recruits out of Montana....Great Future!

Wait a minute. Isn't one of the arguments that anti-Sioux have about the Big Sky is that Montana isn't in the recruiting area. Something smell fishy here (to quote NanoBison). :lol:

There's mention of a JUCO, but no name. Here are names people have used here so far:

Brock Bellmore DL West Fargo, ND

Dan Hendrickson LB Minot, ND

Drew Daggett WR Frazee, MN

Chris Anderson WR Duluth, MN

Josh Murray RB Pepin, WI

Brent Goska QB/DB Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Code Rose QB Elmwood, WI

Kris Ankenbauer DB Plano, TX

Tru Nguyen LB Burnsville, MN

Catlin Solum RB Fargo, ND

John Carruth WR Eden Prairie, MN

The juco player so far is...

Mike Ebanks

6'3"

Def Line

Hibbing Community College

Fast,Quick and Strong lifting weights at UND as we speak....