SiouxSports.com Forum

Football Verbals

The Walrus

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we know when he is likely to make his decision?

Also, you are close to the program. What are your thoughts on this year's red-shirt class? I know we lost a lot of kids to SU last year but that certainly doesn't mean it was a weak group! I am curious how much talent is there and who is likely to contribute soon.

Walrus - just in case you didn't see this post. Any thoughts on either topic? I don't see that MSU has announced Jackson joining them as a preferred walkon.

The one that got away...

Rose signs with UW after Badger wooing

Rose turned down a full-ride scholarship offer from the University of North Dakota to play for the Badgers. He had 14 scholarship offers from Division I and Division II schools around the country. Wisconsin had been recruiting him since he attended their football camp last summer.
Sounds like a bright kid with a bright future. Too bad he isn't going to be a Sioux.

Rose has a 3.8 GPA and is a member of the National Honor Society. He plans major in biology. He

No hurry, I (we) appreciate your inside info!

Looks like Tovarious Jackson is still a potentially great player without a team...Really wants to play at the highest level possible, his H.S. Coach has said he is currently looking at Appalachain State...so we will see ......The Sioux still feel we have a great shot at him...

Also Check out the Name Paul Backowski...Huge O-Lineman (6'6" 290#) out of Foley Minnersota, that was recruited at Colorado for one year and wants to play closer to home, close friends with current Sioux Noah Dombrovski......I heard we have a good shot at him....OL men are always a welcome sight.

Other than that, I believe it will be UND's intention to red-shirt all of the incoming freshman, unless some key injuries dictate otherwise...

Looks like Tovarious Jackson is still a potentially great player without a team...Really wants to play at the highest level possible, his H.S. Coach has said he is currently looking at Appalachain State...so we will see ......The Sioux still feel we have a great shot at him...

Also Check out the Name Paul Backowski...Huge O-Lineman (6'6" 290#) out of Foley Minnersota, that was recruited at Colorado for one year and wants to play closer to home, close friends with current Sioux Noah Dombrovski......I heard we have a good shot at him....OL men are always a welcome sight.

Other than that, I believe it will be UND's intention to red-shirt all of the incoming freshman, unless some key injuries dictate otherwise...

Backowski would be quite an addition for the Sioux. He was a rivals 2-star prospect two years ago, and was heavily recruited by several Big 10 and Big 12 schools. A potential offensive line of Braegelmann at center, Troen and Hoffelt at guard, and Bauer and Backowski at tackle would be outstanding.

Wouldn't you think that he would want to transfer to the FCS level since he comes from a BCS level school?

Wouldn't he have to sit out a year for a DI-to-DI transfer?

Seeing how CU redshirted him, going to a DI-AA (FCS) school would cost him a year of on-field play, wouldn't it*?

* As I understand the rules, he's burned one of the five years redshirting and he'd lose another of the five sitting out due to a transfer. He'd be left with three eligible seasons. Going to UND right now wouldn't cost him a playing season as he would be transferring to a (transitioning) DII and would not have to sit out a year.

If he transferred to another I-A/BCS school, he'd have to sit out a year. A transfer to any other division, including I-AA/FCS, would mean he could play in the 2007 season.

You can transfer FBS to FCS (DI-A to DI-AA) and not sit a year?

That seems wrong if both are "DI".

You can transfer FBS to FCS (DI-A to DI-AA) and not sit a year?

That seems wrong if both are "DI".

It seems kind of weird, but I'm positive that is the rule. An example is the receiver/returner from Northern Iowa last season. He played at Pitt in the 2005 season, transferred to UNI, and played there in 2006.

• 1 month later...
Word on Bisonville is that Backowski is considering NDSU or UMN.

http://www400.pair.com/bisonvil/cgi-bin/ya...?num=1175346568

I'm not sure whether it's a coincidence or not, but according to Brian MacPherson's blog at the St. Cloud Times web page, Sam Laudner is possibly looking to transfer from NDSU to St. Cloud State. Maybe that's where NDSU would be coming up with the scholarship money for Backowski?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am sure it is. He was caught another time with weed or something like that. He missed a bunch of football games last fall from suspension, but I don't know what that suspension was for.

It was weed, he had a buddy mail him some, and when he picked it up he got busted. He is the son of former Minot State head football coach, Dave Hendrickson. I believe he just got a DUI in Belfield where he coaches high school football.

I know Lennon usually recruits character guys, this one is a reach.

• 3 weeks later...

Quesenberry among state's best after just two years

Just over two weeks ago, Brandon Quesenberry joined one of the elite lists in Montana High School track and field history. During the Top 10 meet, Quesenberry broke the 60-foot barrier in the shot put, a group that includes only 11 other members.

"To know that you're one of them is cool," Quesenberry said.

Quesenberry is the first to accomplish the feat since Chris Hellekson in 2005. He's the first West performer on the list which includes four Billings Senior throwers, Hellekson, Evan Wilson, Matt Drinkwalter and Travis Haynes.