SiouxSports.com Forum

Football Verbals

The Walrus

The Sioux still have good chances I am told on the following...

Tavorrius Jackson- DB / SS

Vermillion C.C.

6' 4" 210# Runs 4.5 Forty

Brother of Brady Jackson Atalanta Falcons

Others interested Illinois, Wisconsin,Minnesota, UNI

(This young man would be a difference maker)

Matt Veldman- TE / WR

Becker County

6' 7" 220#

His dad Mike Veldman played with Dale Lennon in the 80's , He was one of the best TE / Receivers ever at play at UND.

His son Matt has a boat load of potential and Huge upside...

Others interested Minnesota, NDSU and ??

Lets hope the Sioux can top this class off with these two...

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark and Steve were the two Veldmans who played at UND. Didn't a third play at Moorhead State? If this kid is Mark or Steve's kid, and anyone played on those teams with them in the early 1980's, call those guys and make sure we don't lose this kid to the AC. Tell them if they let their son or nephew go to the AC Gene Murphy will come back and run over them with his scooter and make them do power conditioning until they puke. This kid could make this one of the best recruiting classes in school history.

Mark and Steve were the two Veldmans who played at UND. Didn't a third play at Moorhead State? If this kid is Mark or Steve's kid, and anyone played on those teams with them in the early 1980's, call those guys and make sure we don't lose this kid to the AC. Tell them if they let their son or nephew go to the AC Gene Murphy will come back and run over them with his scooter and make them do power conditioning until they puke. This kid could make this one of the best recruiting classes in school history.

I'm sure that you are probably joking about calling. But just so those don't know ... no tampering with recruits by boosters.

Matt's dad is the one who played at Moorhead. With that said, I still suspect that much of the family still has at least some allegiance to UND when compared to NDSU. Whether that's enough to land Matt for the Sioux, I guess we'll find out within the next few days.

I'm sure that you are probably joking about calling. But just so those don't know ... no tampering with recruits by boosters.

I hope he was joking.

I found this about contacting recruits families:

NCAA Rules Regarding Contacts with High School and Junior College Recruit:

You May Not make any contact with arecruit or the recruit's family on or off the institution's campus. If a coach has a recruit at an athletic event, you should not approach the coach until the recruit and family have gone elsewhere. If a recruit approaches you off campus regarding the athletics program, explain that NCAA rules do not permit you to discuss the program. Suggest that the prospect contact the head coach of the sport for information. Remember; this prohibition of contact includes telephone calls and letters to a prospect and/or members of their family.

Definitely a road we don't want to follow.

I compiled some information about all of the commitments thus far. All this information was found on the web, but I make no guarantees of its accuracy, and there are almost certainly some honors certain players earned that I omitted:

Catlin Solum, rb, Fargo South, 5'9", 180

2004, 2005 and 2006 all-EDC; 2004 second team all-state; 2005 and 2006 first team all-state; 2006 AAA player of the year; 2006 ND Gatorade player of the year.

Broc Bellmore, dl, West Fargo, 6'1", 250

2005 and 2006 all-EDC; 2005 second team all-state; 2006 first team all-state; bench presses 350 lbs. and squats 585 lbs.

Dan Hendrickson, lb, Minot, 6'0", 200

Missed much of 2006 season; 2005 first team all-state.

Drew Daggett, wr, Frazee (MN), 6'4", 205

Injured for part of 2006 football season; placed third in the 110 hurdles and second in high jump at 2006 state track meet; also part of place-winning 800m and 1600m relay teams.

Chris Anderson, wr, Duluth Central, 6'2", 160

Injured and missed part of 2006 season; 2006 all-conference.

Josh Murray, rb, Pepin (WI), 5'11", 195

2004, 2005 and 2006 all-conference and honorable mention WFCA all-state; 1088 yards and 19 td's as a senior; rated by wisfootball.net as #7 RB in state; runs 4.5 40; has also scored over 1000 points during his basketball career.

Cody Rose, qb, Elmwood (WI), 6'4", 190

Threw for 1080 yards and 13 td's as a senior; 2006 all-conference and honorable mention WFCA all-state; father played for the Buffalo Bills.

Brent Goska, db, Wisconsin Rapids, 6'3", 190

2005 second team AP all-state (at qb); 2006 WFCA all-state (at qb); ran the wishbone; named one of the top 20 prospects in Wisconsin by scout.com; rated by ESPN/Scouts, Inc. as #213 QB nationally; rated by wisfootball.net as #26 overall prospect and #2 QB; runs 4.82 40.

Kris Ankenbauer, db, Plano (TX), 5'9", 170

2005 and 2006 all-district; ran an electronically timed 4.47 40 yard dash at a Nike camp last summer.

Tru Nguyen, lb, Burnsville, 6'0", 200

Named seventh-best college prospect at 2006 MSL/Adidas Chicago combine; 2006 all-conference; bench presses 335 lbs. and squats 450; runs a 4.88 40 yard dash; 32" vertical.

John Carruth, wr, Eden Prairie, 6'6", 205

2006 Star Tribune second team all-metro (at tight end); honorable mention all-state.

Brandon Quesenberry, ol, Billings West, 6'3", 265

2006 AA first team all-state; placed 2nd in the shot put at 2006 Montana AA state track meet.

Mike Ebanks, de/olb, Hibbing Community College, 6'3", 225

2006 all-region; 19 sacks in 2006; runs 4.5 40 yard dash.

Matt Simmons, ol, Racine Park (WI), 6'5", 320

2005 AP second team all-state; 2006 WFCA all-state; rated among the top 140 offensive tackles in the country by ESPN/Scouts, Inc.; named one of the top 25 prospects in Wisconsin by scout.com; rated by wisfootball.net as #12 overall prospect and # 3 OL; runs 5.38 40; 20 reps x 185 lbs bench press.

Chris Schaan, de, Chandler (AZ) Hamilton, 6'2", 210

2006 second team 5A all-state; 76 tackles and 17 sacks as a senior.

Deryk Van Zee, wr, Billings West, 5'10", 175

2005 AA first team all-state (receiver); 2006 AA first team all-state (receiver and punter).

Mitch Goertz, lb, D.C. Everest (WI), 6'3", 222

2006 all-conference, all-area and honorable mention WFCA all-state.

Mark Kubacki, lb, Stillwater (MN), 6'2", 230

2006 all-conference.

Brad Kelley, lb, Coon Rapids (MN), 6'2", 210

2006 A.P. and Pioneer Press honorable mention all-state; 2006 all-conference; led conference in total tackles; #8 in state of MN (all classes) in total tackles.

Troy Bryant, db, Menomonie (WI), 6'1", 184

2006 all-conference, all-region and honorable mention WFCA all-state.

So life is good for a red shirt,workout learn the plays and get bigger.

Pretty much. They also act as the scout team in practices, running the opposing teams' offenses and defenses. In the end, I have to think that most kids really value that 5th year, and they're inevitably going to be far better players during the 5th year than they were during their first.

Pretty much. They also act as the scout team in practices, running the opposing teams' offenses and defenses. In the end, I have to think that most kids really value that 5th year, and they're inevitably going to be far better players during the 5th year than they were during their first.

Are there going to be any more commitments? Are most these guys on partial scholarships?

Aparantly Minnesota hasn't and will not offer Veldman.

I guess it's down to NDSU and UND.

If this was a few years ago, or four years from now, I'd love UND's chances, given the family connections to UND and Lennon. With the impending transition period, it's tough to say what UND's chances are. It may depend in large part on what he wants to major in.

If this was a few years ago, or four years from now, I'd love UND's chances, given the family connections to UND and Lennon. With the impending transition period, it's tough to say what UND's chances are. It may depend in large part on what he wants to major in.

I agree that UND would have had a better chance 5 years ago, but I also have the view that the longer it takes Veldman to commit, the better chance UND has. If it was strictly going to a team that was playoff eligible, NDSU would be a slam dunk and he would have already committed.

I agree that UND would have had a better chance 5 years ago, but I also have the view that the longer it takes Veldman to commit, the better chance UND has. If it was strictly going to a team that was playoff eligible, NDSU would be a slam dunk and he would have already committed.

He's waiting on the Gophers, why would he sign with NDSU until he finds out what is going on with the UofM? Nice try though. If the U tells him no or to walk on and if it drags out until 7th, then you might have a point because of the family connections with UND.

He's waiting on the Gophers, why would he sign with NDSU until he finds out what is going on with the UofM? Nice try though. If the U tells him no or to walk on and if it drags out until 7th, then you might have a point because of the family connections with UND.

If you read further up the thread, MplsBison said

Aparantly Minnesota hasn't and will not offer Veldman.

I wasn't trying to contrive anything out of this. I was simply hypothesizing given what MplsBison stated. Take it for what is worth. Which is probably nothing. :)

Whether or not Veldman goes to UND or NDSU isn't going to make or break either schools recruiting class. It just makes for fun talk since both schools are recruiting him. It looks like UND is going to have a great recruiting class either way. Personally I believe he will go to NDSU because the lure of playoffs and probably more money up front will decide it for him. Just because hie Uncle played for UND before he was born isn't going to be enough to get him to UND.

Whether or not Veldman goes to UND or NDSU isn't going to make or break either schools recruiting class. It just makes for fun talk since both schools are recruiting him. It looks like UND is going to have a great recruiting class either way. Personally I believe he will go to NDSU because the lure of playoffs and probably more money up front will decide it for him. Just because hie Uncle played for UND before he was born isn't going to be enough to get him to UND.

I'd like to think UND has a little more to offer than simply being the school where two of his uncles played. It's not like UND is MSU-Moorhead (where his dad played, by the way). If he was going to be giving a school token consideration based upon little more than family connections, I would think it would be Moorhead--not UND. That's not to say I think he's necessarily coming here, but I think his interest in UND is legit, and UND is still a viable contender to sign him.

I wasn't trying to contrive anything out of this. I was simply hypothesizing given what MplsBison stated. Take it for what is worth. Which is probably nothing.

Don't take it as my word: http://www400.pair.com/bisonvil/cgi-bin/ya...8003540/180#180

Right now it doesn't look like Veldman will be getting a MINN offer. The new staff has a different idea of what they want from there TE than Mason. Watt was the first victim of that. "The new staff in Minnesota didn't really contact me too much. I went out there, but I didn't really get too much time to talk to the coaches. Also I didn't really feel like I would fit into the new offense too well."

On Wednesday MINN had a recruiting visit from 4-star TE Steve Watson from Denver who is a Michigan commitment and right now looks like a 50-50 chance to get him plus they are bringing in a TE/WR from Washington this weekend who sounds alot like Veldman. This is the last recruiting weekend and right now Veldman isn't on the list of 12 players visiting MN this weekend