SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach rivard's contract not being renewed

siouxperstar

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This really made the AD look like a joke. This was fra overdue. My only regret is that the coach will be staying on.

There's always a job for everyone. It's a matter of finding the right fit. Possibly she isn't a very good coach, but that doesn't mean she doesn't possess excellent skills that could be utilized in other areas.

I am not that close to the program but wished to see coaching change sooner than later, like most of you. However, this sort of thing doesn't need to be personal. If UND can legitimately utilize and benefit from her skills, then more power to Buning for making use of them.

This really made the AD look like a joke. This was fra overdue. My only regret is that the coach will be staying on.

I don't think it made Buning look like a joke at all. I think he was a new AD giving a struggling coach one more go at it. Maybe Rivard having a baby and Peter losing his coaching job when the Mayville State Soccer program was dropped were factored into the extra time. I'm not so sure that they should have been, but not renewing someone's contract can't be any easy decision to make at any point in time. I'm glad that it wasn't my decision to make.

Anyway, the past is the past and hopefully the Sioux can turn something around and finish the season on a high point.

I don't think it made Buning look like a joke at all. I think he was a new AD giving a struggling coach one more go at it. Maybe Rivard having a baby and Peter losing his coaching job when the Mayville State Soccer program was dropped were factored into the extra time. I'm not so sure that they should have been, but not renewing someone's contract can't be any easy decision to make at any point in time. I'm glad that it wasn't my decision to make.

Anyway, the past is the past and hopefully the Sioux can turn something around and finish the season on a high point.

Ill care about womens hockey once checking is allowed. Actually I didn't mean to use the word hockey either. Without checking there is no hockey! No offense to anyone except the rule makers! :blush:

I disagree.

I think Buning made the right choice at the right time. It would have been much easier to allow Rivard to finish out the season and simply not renew her contract this summer. He was making a point.

Nothing irritates me more than coaches who get fired and are then sent home with a paycheck for the remainder of their contracted salary. I liken it to "paid administrative leave"...you are so bad at your job that we would rather pay you to sit at home than spend another day at your desk. If she is a paid UND employee until June...make her work until June. I don't care if they have her wash uniforms, sell raffle tickets or shovel snow.

That's right...you don't want to work for me. :blush:

Ill care about womens hockey once checking is allowed. Actually I didn't mean to use the word hockey either. Without checking there is no hockey! No offense to anyone except the rule makers! :blush:

Then shouldn't it say pass...shoot...score...check?

We do now.

*runs away*

Oh dear, maybe this is classless, but I agree with Hockeymom. I mean, when she says something like this after being such a steadfast supporter of the ladies, you have to take notice.

I can't wait to see what they do. It's too bad because Paul Collotino (Hockeymom, my spelling sucks, help me out?) would have been the obvious choice.

Oh dear, maybe this is classless, but I agree with Hockeymom. I mean, when she says something like this after being such a steadfast supporter of the ladies, you have to take notice.

I can't wait to see what they do. It's too bad because Paul Collotino (Hockeymom, my spelling sucks, help me out?) would have been the obvious choice.

I would agree with the both of you on this one.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

P.S. GO GATORS NEXT MONTH I'll BE IN AZ TO WATCH THE BIG GAME WITH A TON OF FELLOW GATOR ALUMS. LIKE MYSELF.

I would agree with the both of you on this one.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

P.S. GO GATORS NEXT MONTH I'll BE IN AZ TO WATCH THE BIG GAME WITH A TON OF FELLOW GATOR ALUMS. LIKE MYSELF.

I agree as well.. Paul Colontino would have been awesome right now.. too bad both there assistants left last year... Looks like Colontino is in a good place right now... maybe he will apply for this position once he wins a NCAA Championship.... can only hope right??

I agree as well.. Paul Colontino would have been awesome right now.. too bad both there assistants left last year... Looks like Colontino is in a good place right now... maybe he will apply for this position once he wins a NCAA Championship.... can only hope right??

Colontino's Mercyherst team is #1 in the nation right now. And word out of Pennsylvania is that he's recruited an unbelievable class for next year. If he was named the next coach at UND, the Lamarouex twins would sign on the dotted line tomorrow.

Colontino's Mercyherst team is #1 in the nation right now. And word out of Pennsylvania is that he's recruited an unbelievable class for next year. If he was named the next coach at UND, the Lamarouex twins would sign on the dotted line tomorrow.

My Vote is Colontino... I wonder if he would ever apply??

My Vote is Colontino... I wonder if he would ever apply??

Only if he wanted leverage against Mercyhurst. He's currently running the #1 program in the nation. Apart from sentimentality or contract leverage, why would he?

I think his ship has sailed.

I think UND should try to swipe an associate head coach from a successful program such as UMD, UMN, or UW.

Only if he wanted leverage against Mercyhurst. He's currently running the #1 program in the nation. Apart from sentimentality or contract leverage, why would he?

I think his ship has sailed.

I think UND should try to swipe an associate head coach from a successful program such as UMD, UMN, or UW.

Well Colontino is a successful associate head coach working with the #1 team in the nation???

Nothing irritates me more than coaches who get fired and are then sent home with a paycheck for the remainder of their contracted salary.

I wonder if they would have to eat her contract wether she had a roll in the administration or not.

I know there are discussions about this all the time in the sports world where the coach isn't cutting the mustard and they want to make a change but end up paying that person anyways. Kind of a lose, lose situation.

There's no doubt in my mind that Shantel is a very intelligent person. She has a Master's in Engineering for cripes sake. She will bounce back from this quicker than most people would.

Meanwhile, I haven't been a very big supporter of the team this year. *hangs head* I think it's because I have more irons in the fire than I did last year. I've only been to a couple games. Maybe as the season unfolds I'll get to more games....or maybe not, since the kiddies hockey seasons are now in 5th gear.

There's always a job for everyone. It's a matter of finding the right fit. Possibly she isn't a very good coach, but that doesn't mean she doesn't possess excellent skills that could be utilized in other areas.

I am not that close to the program but wished to see coaching change sooner than later, like most of you. However, this sort of thing doesn't need to be personal. If UND can legitimately utilize and benefit from her skills, then more power to Buning for making use of them.

I'm alittle torn on this issue, The team has minimul talent- They get blown out. You can talk about whose fault that is but bottom line is somthing isn't appealling to the potential recruits.

I don't think you can blame the coach for a team getting pounded 9-0, because atmost a coach can sway a game two goals either way. With that said these are her players.

We will have to see if the next coach has better success recruiting then this coach did. If it turns out the new coach doesn't then the program needs to make a change to make it a more appealling enviroment for recruits.

You should be able to get a few with the rink alone, but on that same note the rink is empty during games.

But if the team was winning maybe more fans would come.

I'm very torn. I think the move needed to be made to see if that can jump start the program but to say it was all the coachs fault for the team getting killed is probably off.

I'm alittle torn on this issue, The team has minimul talent- They get blown out. You can talk about whose fault that is but bottom line is somthing isn't appealling to the potential recruits.

I don't think you can blame the coach for a team getting pounded 9-0, because atmost a coach can sway a game two goals either way. With that said these are her players.

We will have to see if the next coach has better success recruiting then this coach did. If it turns out the new coach doesn't then the program needs to make a change to make it a more appealling enviroment for recruits.

You should be able to get a few with the rink alone, but on that same note the rink is empty during games.

But if the team was winning maybe more fans would come.

I'm very torn. I think the move needed to be made to see if that can jump start the program but to say it was all the coachs fault for the team getting killed is probably off.

I am confused about the 9-0. Did you mean...

A) 8-1 (Final score UM-TC 8 UND 1 on 08DEC2006)

B) 12-0 (Overall record in favor of the Lady Gophers vs UND)

C) 8.5:1 (Goal ratio in favor of the Lady Gophers vs UND...68-8)

D) Other?

I am not torn at all.