SiouxSports.com Forum

POlls

sioux7>5

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gopher schedule has seen games against current #3, #7, #8, #9, and #15 teams in country. Includes games against teams that are 2nd and 3rd in WCHA standings. What is so "not difficult" about that? Things could go sour in the future, but right now 13-1-3 is pretty good. (looks better than 7-6-1)

I'm not dis-crediting the Gophers schedule or their current record, but how many of those games have been at home? I think all but the SCSU game as well as the UofMaine game correct? Either way, I just want to see how they handle a good team on the road. We'll see how good they are after a weekend or 2 on the road like that IMO. It's tough to beat Minnesota at home because their olympic ice sheet helps them immensely I believe and a lot of the teams that come into their rink, don't have a olympic facility to practice at. Their team speed is their strength and an olympic rink maximizes that strength. But again, they take advantage of their strengths/assets. More power to them.

A majority of the ice sheets in the WCHA are Olympic size.

I stand corrected. I've been to a lot of the rinks and never really noticed the difference in length so much. According to USCHO, 5 are olympic size(UM, CC, AA, SCSU, Mankato), 1 is close to olympic(UW) and the other 4 are NHL-size rinks or smaller(UND, MTU, DU, UMD).

So LC, are you saying that Minnesota has had a difficult schedule? Granted they have played ranked teams but they have had favorable circumstances in when and where they have played them. Colorado at home and playing with the flu bug going through there team. Michigan and Michigan State in the Showcase at home where Mich and Mich State had a rivalry game mid week. Wisconsin at home with key players out of the lineup. Maine at the X which is a virtual home game. Wayne State and Ohio State as non-conference foes...Enough said. So far No UND, No Denver, and no UAA trip which is never easy.

They have put up a nice record so far but we will see how it holds up after the first of the year.

They have put up a nice record so far but we will see how it holds up after the first of the year.

To have any expectation of continueing to play at a 13-1-3 pace is simply rediculous. However the Gophers have built up a good record and should be able to finish with mid to upper twenties in the win column and a #1 NCAA seed. Not that it did a lot for them last year, but I'll take it every year given the option.

What I like so far about the Gophers more than the record (which might be inflated) is that some of the question marks so far have been answered:

-Team chemistry

-Goaltending

-9 Freshmen in the lineup

-Lost scoring

-Team defense

-Grit, determination and a willingness to initiate a hit

These are not answered 100% and that list is not to suggest that they are above criticism, but Gopher fans should be happy with the start. The problem is that some fans of all teams become infatuated with an inflated W-L record and automatically start thinking about the post-season, when everyone should realize January and February will seriously test the mettle of the team.

If the Gophers were to get to the FF it wouldn't necessarily be a surprise and if they don't it shouldn't automatically be considered an underachievement. We should wait until March before we should anticipate specific outcomes when there's so much hockey left to be played.

I stand corrected. I've been to a lot of the rinks and never really noticed the difference in length so much. According to USCHO, 5 are olympic size(UM, CC, AA, SCSU, Mankato), 1 is close to olympic(UW) and the other 4 are NHL-size rinks or smaller(UND, MTU, DU, UMD).

Plus, the Sioux have the luxury of practicing on the big ice before they go to minny, ect. if they choose.

So LC, are you saying that Minnesota has had a difficult schedule? Granted they have played ranked teams but they have had favorable circumstances in when and where they have played them. Colorado at home and playing with the flu bug going through there team. Michigan and Michigan State in the Showcase at home where Mich and Mich State had a rivalry game mid week. Wisconsin at home with key players out of the lineup. Maine at the X which is a virtual home game. Wayne State and Ohio State as non-conference foes...Enough said. So far No UND, No Denver, and no UAA trip which is never easy.

In the same vein, you can ask "Who has UND played so far?"

Home

Quinnipiac

Maine

St. Cloud State

Colorado College

Away

Wisconsin

Minnesota State

Alaska Anchorage

Quinnipiac and Maine for UND are slightly better than Wayne State and Maine for UMN (primarily because Quinnipiac is better than Wayne State and UND played Maine twice).

Both have played Colorado College and St. Cloud State at home (UMN had a home and away).

Both played Minnesota State on the road.

Both played Wisconsin (UND on the road, UMN at home).

UND played at Alaska Anchorage while UMN played at Duluth.

UMN also played Michigan State and Michigan at home.

According to the SiouxSports RPI, UMN opponents have a Winning % of .5387 and UND opponents are at .5691, which is a difference of about 3%.

So, while UMN hasn't "played anybody" yet, UND opponents are about 3% better.

And yes, they do have a nice record, and we will see how it will hold up for the rest of the year. Are they going to continue winning at an 85% clip? Not a chance. But with a similar schedule to UND, they've won 85% of their games, while UND has won 54% of their games.

What does this all mean? NOTHING! It's still just December. I still think UND, UMN, SCSU and CC are the top teams in the conference this year. I think that the four of them will be fighting for the coveted "top three" spot in the WCHA towards the end of the season.

It's hard to argue minny's #1 ranking, they have backed it up with a 13-1-3 record. I have to give credit where credit is due. Anyone who can't see that is either stupid or is just trying to start s&!t.

Number 1 I am not stupid or full of sh%$. All I was saying when I wrote this question is, that the Goofs barely beat Mankato, a unranked team. A tie and a one goal win. I realize a win is a win. I just do not think that they should have kept their ranking after that weekend. I do not disagree with them being #1 before that, but after last weekend, they do not deserve it in my opinion.

Where is the ocean in GF? Part of the Ralph? Just curious.

MN typically practices at Ridder before a series or game played on an NHL size rink.

The Ralph has an Olympic Sized Ice Sheet attached to it. Not much to look at, but it does serve as a nice practice sheet. :lol:

So, why do we care how the Gophers are doing? We shouldn't, unless it's as it relates to our games with them or our seeding affected by them. Other than that, why give a rip about the Gophers? They are the best team in the country right now, why slam them for what might happen in the future? Until someone knocks them off, they deserve to be #1.

We just need to see the Sioux continue to improve and advance towards the post-season. We'll see how we stack up against the Gophers Jan. 26 & 27.

I also think it's time to give up the Holy Cross crap. That was last year, and eventually someone, somewhere, sometime will beat us when they're not supposed to in the NCAA's and the same people who keep using HC are going to be p*ssed off at the trolls who bring it all back. It's over, and it's not our team, anyway!

Personally, I'm still mad about losing to Denver 1-0 in Regional Final in 2004 when we had Z. Parise and B. Bochenski and we were the best team in the country and had to watch DU hoist the trophy.

If some Gopher fans get their jollies egging others on why give them the satisfaction of responding? If they want to engage in reasonable conversation, then that's what we should do in return. Holy Cross is so last year ...

I always thought that "Holy Cross" was an merely an exclamatory phrase like Boy Wonder's "'Holy Cheese', Batman" Or Bluto Blutarsky's "Holy !@$!". Does it have some special meaning to the Gophers? Please elaborate.... :lol:

Number 1 I am not stupid or full of sh%$. All I was saying when I wrote this question is, that the Goofs barely beat Mankato, a unranked team. A tie and a one goal win. I realize a win is a win. I just do not think that they should have kept their ranking after that weekend. I do not disagree with them being #1 before that, but after last weekend, they do not deserve it in my opinion.

A team that has 1 loss through 35% of their season isn't good enough for you? They beat and tied an unranked team in Mankato. Mankato isn't nearly as bad as you seem to think they are. Who cares that they are unranked, does it really matter? Being in the bottom half of the WCHA isn't great, but it would get you near the top of a lot of other things. So when a top team "struggles" against an unranked team, yet still wins, they should drop in the polls? That's an insane comment to make. The Facts are the Facts.

A team that has 1 loss through 35% of their season isn't good enough for you? They beat and tied an unranked team in Mankato. Mankato isn't nearly as bad as you seem to think they are. Who cares that they are unranked, does it really matter? Being in the bottom half of the WCHA isn't great, but it would get you near the top of a lot of other things. So when a top team "struggles" against an unranked team, yet still wins, they should drop in the polls? That's an insane comment to make. The Facts are the Facts.

So now I am insane. I was just making a point. Yes I think a tie and a win by one goal in Mankato is not a #1 team. I am sorry if you do not agree with me. But watch the personal attacks please.

My Norwegian friend,

We know you are not stupid or full of sh**. Just have faith that the goofs will drop when it really counts, just like last season!

:lol:

I hate the gooph's and most of their fans as much as anybody, but the fact remains they have been playing some good hockey as of late, it's undeniable, the #1 ranking is credible. As much as it pains me to say that and wish it wasn't true, I'm afraid that it is. I'm not trying to be a jerk but making statements like "they should not have kept that spot because blah, blah, blah" is either stupidity or just trying to get under someon'e skin. Sorry, I just call it how I see it.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but making statements like "they should not have kept that spot because blah, blah, blah" is either stupidity or just trying to get under someon'e skin.

Thankfully you have never been guilty of either one of those.......I just call them like I see them.... :lol:

I hate the gooph's and most of their fans as much as anybody, but the fact remains they have been playing some good hockey as of late, it's undeniable, the #1 ranking is credible. As much as it pains me to say that and wish it wasn't true, I'm afraid that it is. I'm not trying to be a jerk but making statements like "they should not have kept that spot because blah, blah, blah" is either stupidity or just trying to get under someon'e skin. Sorry, I just call it how I see it.

I was starting to wonder where your loyalities were. I was also wondering if you became a Gopher fan recently?

I was starting to wonder where your loyalities were. I was also wondering if you became a Gopher fan recently?

Not a chance in hell, but the facts are the facts....................... anyway, you can call me an a-hole, you can call me stupid, but calling me a goopher fan just might be steppin' over the line now bro :lol: