SiouxSports.com Forum

POlls

sioux7>5

I just saw the newest poll and Minnesota is still ranked #1, what that makes no sense. They tie and barely beat a unranked team and they retain the # 1 position. Someone please explain. This truly makes no sense. But if I had to venture a guess I would say it is jsut becasue they are Minnesota. That really is the only explanation.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw the newest poll and Minnesota is still ranked #1, what that makes no sense. They tie and barely beat a unranked team and they retain the # 1 position. Someone please explain. This truly makes no sense. But if I had to venture a guess I would say it is jsut becasue they are Minnesota. That really is the only explanation.

Mn is the clear choice for #1 until somebody comes along that can beat them. By the end of 2006, they'll have only one loss (which was of course, their first game of the season) and 15+ wins.

Their next test will come in January when I'm hoping their slide begins.

Mn is the clear choice for #1 until somebody comes along that can beat them. By the end of 2006, they'll have only one loss (which was of course, their first game of the season) and 15+ wins.

Their next test will come in January when I'm hoping their slide begins.

Let them peak now. I see the air coming out of the bubble again this season.

They are good but not unbeatable.

Fixed your post. :D

I think he meant 2006. Minnesota has a pretty easy schedule to finish out the year. It will be tougher for them in the spring. However, at this time, I do think they are the clear cut choice for #1. They've lost one game to an older Maine team the first game of the year. Minnesota is fairly young this year, so that loss is very understandable. I hope, like the rest of the Sioux fans, that they fall off their high after the New Year starts, but they'll definitely be a tough team to beat.

I have to say, until proven otherwise, the Gopers are the best team in the country. No team is going to win every night, nor should they have to to protect their ranking. The WCHA is a tough league, and even the best teams are going to lose games. I see no clear cut team to place in front of the Gophers at this point.

I think he meant 2006. Minnesota has a pretty easy schedule to finish out the year. It will be tougher for them in the spring. However, at this time, I do think they are the clear cut choice for #1.

I don't think its much of a stretch to have them as the number one team right now. The goofs have played well so far this season losing only one game.

Who cares about the early season polls? Do you think the Red Menace will remain unranked at the end of the year?

For the pwr ranking in a way it doesn't help if they move up and win some games down the stretch starting next weekend.

SIOUX 7>5 please explain how the Sioux get ranked#10 with 6 losses and barely being able to beat the U-18 team!!!!!

7>5 might not be so far off. UNH and Notre Dame have played very well as of late and UNH is probably the best team right now. Notre Dame is kind of in the same boat as Minnesota as they haven't had a difficult schedule but I think their defense/goaltending is probably better than Minnesota. So you could argue that Minnesota, right now, is 3rd best with the caveat that UMN is still the only 1 loss team

Another thing to consider for the rest of the season is what affect the World Jrs will have on Minnesota. Having 5 players taken makes for some interesting possibilities like injuries, freshmen hitting the wall, lineup instability. We will see how good Minnesota's depth is come January.

7>5 might not be so far off. UNH and Notre Dame have played very well as of late and UNH is probably the best team right now. Notre Dame is kind of in the same boat as Minnesota as they haven't had a difficult schedule but I think their defense/goaltending is probably better than Minnesota. So you could argue that Minnesota, right now, is 3rd best with the caveat that UMN is still the only 1 loss team

Another thing to consider for the rest of the season is what affect the World Jrs will have on Minnesota. Having 5 players taken makes for some interesting possibilities like injuries, freshmen hitting the wall, lineup instability. We will see how good Minnesota's depth is come January.

Gopher schedule has seen games against current #3, #7, #8, #9, and #15 teams in country. Includes games against teams that are 2nd and 3rd in WCHA standings. What is so "not difficult" about that? Things could go sour in the future, but right now 13-1-3 is pretty good. (looks better than 7-6-1)

Gopher schedule has seen games against current #3, #7, #8, #9, and #15 teams in country. Includes games against teams that are 2nd and 3rd in WCHA standings. What is so "not difficult" about that? Things could go sour in the future, but right now 13-1-3 is pretty good. (looks better than 7-6-1)

Holy Cross! You are right. It's amazing that Gopher fans like you so desperately need Sioux fans to reinforce your belief that the Gophers are the greatest thing since sliced bread that you troll around Sioux message boards telling everyone just that, and jumping on anyone who dares disagree. What's the problem? Not enough hugs as a kid? Holy Cross Syndrome?

I expect January and early February to be a bumpy period for the Gophers. They will have time to pull it back to together again in late February and March. How well they do in the post season will of course be very dependant on how their goaltending plays and their NCAA draw.

The Sioux should start playing better during January and February and I truly hope it starts this weekend for them. I'd love to see UW not even participating in the post season.

Holy Cross! You are right. It's amazing that Gopher fans like you so desperately need Sioux fans to reinforce your belief that the Gophers are the greatest thing since sliced bread that you troll around Sioux message boards telling everyone just that, and jumping on anyone who dares disagree. What's the problem? Not enough hugs as a kid? Holy Cross Syndrome?

So, why do we care how the Gophers are doing? We shouldn't, unless it's as it relates to our games with them or our seeding affected by them. Other than that, why give a rip about the Gophers? They are the best team in the country right now, why slam them for what might happen in the future? Until someone knocks them off, they deserve to be #1.

We just need to see the Sioux continue to improve and advance towards the post-season. We'll see how we stack up against the Gophers Jan. 26 & 27.

I also think it's time to give up the Holy Cross crap. That was last year, and eventually someone, somewhere, sometime will beat us when they're not supposed to in the NCAA's and the same people who keep using HC are going to be p*ssed off at the trolls who bring it all back. It's over, and it's not our team, anyway!

Personally, I'm still mad about losing to Denver 1-0 in Regional Final in 2004 when we had Z. Parise and B. Bochenski and we were the best team in the country and had to watch DU hoist the trophy.

If some Gopher fans get their jollies egging others on why give them the satisfaction of responding? If they want to engage in reasonable conversation, then that's what we should do in return. Holy Cross is so last year ...

Geez, overreact much? Five Hole Frenzy mentions UMN's schedule so LCGopherFan responds by simply showing who the Gophers have played and you call him a troll who jumps on anyone who disagrees. There was no harsh words in his post, so what's your problem?

I expect January and early February to be a bumpy period for the Gophers. They will have time to pull it back to together again in late February and March. How well they do in the post season will of course be very dependant on how their goaltending plays and their NCAA draw.

The Sioux should start playing better during January and February and I truly hope it starts this weekend for them. I'd love to see UW not even participating in the post season.

Sagard,

I think you are correct. It is tough to argue with what the Gophers have done to date, but this past weekend has to have Lucia concerned. They haven't had any bumps. They are bound to hit some bumps at some point, and then it will be a big issue as to how the younger players respond. I think that this weekend showed that they aren't rock solid, and once the ship starts taking on some water will the youngers be able to A) plug the leaks or B) panic and go Oh me, oh my! It could easily be B if they haven't had any adversity early in the year. A little doubt can blossom into a raging infection. Time will tell.

Sagard,

I think you are correct. It is tough to argue with what the Gophers have done to date, but this past weekend has to have Lucia concerned. They haven't had any bumps. They are bound to hit some bumps at some point, and then it will be a big issue as to how the younger players respond. I think that this weekend showed that they aren't rock solid, and once the ship starts taking on some water will the youngers be able to A) plug the leaks or B) panic and go Oh me, oh my! It could easily be B if they haven't had any adversity early in the year. A little doubt can blossom into a raging infection. Time will tell.

Or it's reason for optimism for Lucia. MN pretty much gets outplayed and guts out 3 points.

As you said, time will tell. :lol:

Sharpen you skates they're playing hockey in hell, THETRIOUXPER just gave credit to MN. :0