SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU's Division I Albatros

star2city

I'm confused. Does that mean that we can close this thread or not? ;)

If you don't, I'm breaking out the unused torches and pitchforks that we stockpiled in case Bohl would've started Mohler last weekend. ;)

And crap. I was told most or all of the money had already been raised. A bare minimum of $16MM is "in the bank"(Sanford's $10MM + $6MM from the previous campaign), and someone in the know confirmed other major donors(though not on the $10MM scale). It's looking like today is Sanford's day, and the smaller donations will be quietly announced later(probably on the gobison website). Hopefully we're well over $20MM, and even over $25MM. That would still give us a chance to start on Phase A this spring.

Some of the Bison fans are bitching about it. Too small, etc. But the bottom line is you have to do what is financially realistic and it is one hell of an improvement over the existing facility. From a home court advantage perspective, it is much better to have a crowd of 3,500 in a 5,700 seat facility rather than an 8,000 seat facility. I for one think it is fine....and surely overdue. One question.....what does the Betty seat for BB and is it an "arena" type setting and not a fieldhouse?

Some of the Bison fans are bitching about it. Too small, etc. But the bottom line is you have to do what is financially realistic and it is one hell of an improvement over the existing facility. From a home court advantage perspective, it is much better to have a crowd of 3,500 in a 5,700 seat facility rather than an 8,000 seat facility. I for one think it is fine....and surely overdue. One question.....what does the Betty seat for BB and is it an "arena" type setting and not a fieldhouse?

Here's the info on the Betty: http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=736161

It is small, but of course UND has the option to play games at the Ralph if demand for tickets far exceeds supply. Unfortunately, that hasn't been an issue too often lately.

If you don't, I'm breaking out the unused torches and pitchforks that we stockpiled in case Bohl would've started Mohler last weekend. ;)

And crap. I was told most or all of the money had already been raised. A bare minimum of $16MM is "in the bank"(Sanford's $10MM + $6MM from the previous campaign), and someone in the know confirmed other major donors(though not on the $10MM scale). It's looking like today is Sanford's day, and the smaller donations will be quietly announced later(probably on the gobison website). Hopefully we're well over $20MM, and even over $25MM. That would still give us a chance to start on Phase A this spring.

Is that a required course at 'SU or an elective?

You're the one who started this thing almost four years ago. I figured it was time to finally start closing it off now that it's finally over. BTW, isn't there a promise by you somewhere in this thread that UND would have its indoor practice facility long before NDSU got a renovated BSA? Just asking.

So basically they had a announcement to say they raised about a third of the price of a renovated arena?

As the days go by it appears Star2City will be right and UND will breakground before NDSU. :lol:

I heard only silver urinals but with mini lcd tvs built into the walls above each urinal to never miss a moment of the action.

I thought NDSU used all their pitchforks and torches a few years ago when they ran Nick Mertens out of town for not living up to expectations?

Mertens is a stand up guy. A perfect storm hit while he was at the helm with arrests, dismissals, coaching changes, etc. etc. Mertens kept his nose clean and worked his butt off in the classroom and on the field. Unfortunately I don't think he was able to showcase all of his talents and what he was limited to wasn't working for him. The kid is a wiz when it comes to academics. As a NDSU fan I have nothing but respect for Mertens and I think that can be said for many fellow fans. Emotions get the best of people at times. I would be willing to bet that a lot of the people who were ripping him the past few years would have a different view of him today.

Mertens is a stand up guy. A perfect storm hit while he was at the helm with arrests, dismissals, coaching changes, etc. etc. Mertens kept his nose clean and worked his butt off in the classroom and on the field. Unfortunately I don't think he was able to showcase all of his talents and what he was limited to wasn't working for him. The kid is a wiz when it comes to academics. As a NDSU fan I have nothing but respect for Mertens and I think that can be said for many fellow fans. Emotions get the best of people at times. I would be willing to bet that a lot of the people who were ripping him the past few years would have a different view of him today.

What Bohl did to Mertens was absolutely shameful. 95% of NDSU's shortcomings the last two seasons were directly attributable to Bohl but he let a 22 year kid take the fall in order to save his own ass. Bohl demonstrated a complete lack of character that should serve as a lesson to any future recruit who considers playing for him.

So basically they had a announcement to say they raised about a third of the price of a renovated arena?

[url=http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/38859/]

As the days go by it appears Star2City will be right and UND will breakground before NDSU. :lol:

I heard only silver urinals but with mini lcd tvs built into the walls above each urinal to never miss a moment of the action.

Hey that's great it only took them like five years to get the first 10 million. So when are they breaking ground? 2020?

What Bohl did to Mertens was absolutely shameful. 95% of NDSU's shortcomings the last two seasons were directly attributable to Bohl but he let a 22 year kid take the fall in order to save his own ass. Bohl demonstrated a complete lack of character that should serve as a lesson to any future recruit who considers playing for him.

Nick didn't have what is needed to compete day in and day out in the MVFC. But, Bohl surely demonstrated shortcomings too. Especially in recruiting and retention. I does seem that some of the Bohl issues may well be rectified.

on KVLY TV 11 news at Ten o' clock on September 27 Yvonne Man stated:

NDSU development foundation says they already had six million dollars in the campaign before Sanfords donation.

Which basically backs up this statement:

BSA renovation: $29,100,000

Indoor Track Facility Construction: $5,000,000

Lease debt retirement-Fargodome: $2,798,783

Subtotal: $36,898,783

Plus Estimated Fund Raising Costs: $2,011,875

TOTAL: $38,910,658

Less available funds from earlier $75 Million Capital Campaign: $6,910,658

Remaining Fundraising Campaign: $32,000,000

Play it safe and say NDSU now only needs another 20 Million dollars.

And with all those tuition wavers going on at NDSU I don't think they have a lot of money floating around ;)

I was suprised to learn that $10 Million gift was the largest ever to NDSU.

on KVLY TV 11 news at Ten o' clock on September 27 Yvonne Man stated:

Which basically backs up this statement:

Play it safe and say NDSU now only needs another 20 Million dollars.

And with all those tuition wavers going on at NDSU I don't think they have a lot of money floating around ;)

I was suprised to learn that $10 Million gift was the largest ever to NDSU.

Me Too. Its more than I can pull off right now( :silly: ) but that supprised me as well.

Bohl had his hands tied as well. Mitch Brekke and Ryan Parsons quit the team after Bohl named Mertens the #1 QB after spring camp in 2008. I will put the blame on Bohl for not recruiting a QB for 2 or 3 years but I don't think NDSU felt that it was going to be an issue. Mertens was the starter with Brekke and Parsons as backups. Mohler was coming in that fall and everything looked to be in order. After Brekke and Parsons left Bohl was left scrambling to find a QB at the beginning of the summer. QB's were few and far between at that point and Troy Jackson was signed from a JUCO in CA. Recruiting wasn't what it should've been and Polasek was named the new recruiting coordinator after the 2008 recruiting class. Mertens struggled and Bohl didn't have another option at QB. They had to protect him because if Mertens would've went down there wasn't anyone ready to take over. Between coaches only puttiing in minimal effort before moving on to something better, kids leaving the program, kids getting into trouble and a lack of leadership it all hit the fan. Bohl is ultimately responsible for his team but Mertens didn't perform to expectations either. Six NDSU seniors from 2008 had a look from the NFL. NDSU was picked to win the conference. The talent was there in 2008 the game just didn't slow down for Mertens. 2009 was a disaster that can't be put solely on one individual. Too many selfish people on the team and they had to be removed. That didn't help Mertens one bit.

UND is very fortunate. Remember Ralph's gift wast the largest single gift to a university in the nation. At most universities $1-$5 million are a big as they come.

UND has a lot of wealthy generous alum's. I don't remember the amounts on some of these but most are in the $1MM to $10MM range........

Ralph gave $5 million years ago to renovate the old Ralph.

Ralph gave $104 million to build REA

Engelstad's gave another $20 million a couple years ago

James Ray gave $12 million to the Entreprenuer program and Aerospace School

Norm Skalicky gave a large gift $???

Chester Fritz gave $1 million gift way back in the late '60's

Dr. Eva Gilbertson gave $5.3 million to the Med School in '07

Ina Mae Rude gift $???

Bart and Lynn Holaday gave a sizeable gift $???

Rick and Jody Burgum gave about $5 million a couple years ago.

Greg and Cindy Page gave $3.3 million to the Business School last year.

Norm Hoffman gave $2 million a couple years ago

These are just a few that I can think of of the top. I'm sure there's quite a few more. Someone gave $10 million about 4 years ago. They used a portion of it to build a chapel down on English Coulee but I don't remember the name.

UND has a lot of wealthy generous alum's. I don't remember the amounts on some of these but most are in the $1MM to $10MM range........

Ralph gave $5 million years ago to renovate the old Ralph.

Ralph gave $104 million to build REA

Engelstad's gave another $20 million a couple years ago

James Ray gave $12 million to the Entreprenuer program and Aerospace School

Norm Skalicky gave a large gift $???

Chester Fritz gave $1 million gift way back in the late '60's

Dr. Eva Gilbertson gave $5.3 million to the Med School in '07

Ina Mae Rude gift $???

Bart and Lynn Holaday gave a sizeable gift $???

Rick and Jody Burgum gave about $5 million a couple years ago.

Greg and Cindy Page gave $3.3 million to the Business School last year.

Norm Hoffman gave $2 million a couple years ago

These are just a few that I can think of of the top. I'm sure there's quite a few more. Someone gave $10 million about 4 years ago. They used a portion of it to build a chapel down on English Coulee but I don't remember the name.

Another major donor was Ken Hyslop, who gave $6 million in the early 1980's.