SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ SEAWOLVES

AZSIOUX

I thought it was interesting to note (from the UND press release) that UND has lost to UAA 13 times overall, and 11 of those have been at Anchorage. Not great odds, but I'm hoping that the boys can pull out a sweep.

On an unrelated note, as stupid as the polls are, I still have to ask. Can someone please explain the logistics behind how St. Cloud actually moves down in the rankings after having tied both nights with the #2 ranked team? I realize that they didn't win, but it didn't seem to hurt the gophers. Just wondering.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was interesting to note (from the UND press release) that UND has lost to UAA 13 times overall, and 11 of those have been at Anchorage. Not great odds, but I'm hoping that the boys can pull out a sweep.

On an unrelated note, as stupid as the polls are, I still have to ask. Can someone please explain the logistics behind how St. Cloud actually moves down in the rankings after having tied both nights with the #2 ranked team? I realize that they didn't win, but it didn't seem to hurt the gophers. Just wondering.

it is simple, there is no logic. the polls are what they are, meaningless until the pairwise rankings come out towards the last half of the year......

Ask the pollwriter:

computer_monkey.jpg

Be careful not to disagree with him, you may find a handful of feces flying your way.

AA appears to be pretty up and down this year. It is always hard to play in AA, three time zones and a five hour plane ride make it difficult to get adjusted.

it is simple, there is no logic. the polls are what they are, meaningless until the pairwise rankings come out towards the last half of the year......

The state of college hockey today seems to rely on young talent. Polls this time of the year just can't factor in how these Freshman and Sophmores are going to develop by the end of the year.

UND has the potential to be a #3 (or #1) of course. But we've got a long way to go to get there. Apparently the other teams are in the same boat.

The state of college hockey today seems to rely on young talent. Polls this time of the year just can't factor in how these Freshman and Sophmores are going to develop by the end of the year.

UND has the potential to be a #3 (or #1) of course. But we've got a long way to go to get there. Apparently the other teams are in the same boat.

I agree with that. Apparently also, Maine is human.

Does anyone here know who the Siouxsports admin is?
Diggler can be very helpful. Just click "My Controls" at the top then "Compose New Message" to send him a PM letting him know what you want, I'm sure he'll respond quickly.
I signed up here and sent them an email
How'd you send him an email if you didn't know who he was? :D

AA appears to be pretty up and down this year. It is always hard to play in AA, three time zones and a five hour plane ride make it difficult to get adjusted.

Don't they leave tomorrow?? They've gotta be used to the time zone difference if they're up there 2 days before the game, right??

I don't know much about UAA this year, other than that they beat the BADgers that one night. I've also heard they're a lot faster this year and can keep up with most of the WCHA?? I'm hoping the Sioux can stay ahead of them and sweep, if not 3 points would be good too, even though I'm not a huge fan of tie games. I guess we'll see.

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

No problem. :D

I am still saving my pennies for the roadtrip to UAA, hopefully *crosses fingers* next season. Sue has promised me a night out on the town. ;)

How are the SeaWolves looking this season? Still blocking shots all over the place? That's the main thing I remember from last year's UND/UAA series in Anchorage...a bunch of blocked shots for UAA.

I watched some of the UAA/UW webcast. The SeaWolves looked faster than I remembered them being last season...

I'm looking forward to seeing them play UND this weekend especially after last weekends ugly games in Mankato. There's no doubt that the Seawolves are a faster team overall this season but I'd only rate UNO and Bucky as fast teams that they've played. IMO UAA was overall faster than both of those squads. Speed wasn't a factor last weekend against Mankato so hopefully on the big sheet against UND we'll all get to see a good up and down game.

Defensively, UAA has learned how to tighten up in their own end and the team has been selfless in blocking shots. The breakout and transition are greatly improved from the last couple of years. And Lawson has played well in his last four starts. The PK is good. Coach Shyiak has pretty much given the green light to all the D in carrying the puck up so expect to see rushes in particular from Chad Anderson. Big Luke will always be motivated to play against UND and will likely surprise some people with his abilities in that area as well. Nils Backstrom is a complete package but I'd say it's a package that is somewhat still "in the works". I've seen a lot more sweet open ice hits this year and Backstrom has contributed there along with Shane Lovdahl who I'd say leads in that category.

UAA keys its offense partially off the hitting game and there is real good size all across that part of the roster. After a nightmarish output last year the upperclassmen (Kronschnabel, Bourne and Waldrop) have all seemed to wake up. The rest of the offensive potential comes from Jay Beagle, Paul Crowder, Josh Lunden and Kevin Clark. One player I've been noting often on my blog is Jared Tuton who has been skating on the #1 line with Beagle and Waldrop. He's a converted defenseman and along with showing decent puck skills has really being laying on big hits on the forecheck.

If the games go as I'd expect then there will be portions of the game where UAA tilts the ice in their favor with the forecheck game and creates scoring chances. The PP hasn't looked great except for the first couple of weekends. I'm unsure as to why but there have been a lot of changes game to game with forwards sometimes manning the points and D men doing that job at other times.

To summarize, the Seawolves will prefer to play and up and down game and try to use their size to keep it more "up" than "down".

/END TROLL

Looks like we will be seeing Grieco once again this weekend.

According to Brad's blog, Lammy is not traveling to UAA this weekend.

Goaltender Philippe Lamoureux won't be making the trip to Anchorage, coach Dave Hakstol said Tuesday.

Lamoureux has been sidelined with a leg injury.

Hakstol said he is "95 percent sure" that forward Rylan Kaip will make the trip. Kaip has been bothered by a lower-body injury and was held out for the last three games. He has practiced with the team this week, though.

For more information check out tomorrow's Herald.